Featherstone Work’ magic to cruise into Widnes final

Jon Sharp
Jon Sharp
Have your say

FEATHERSTONE reached next Sunday’s Championship Shield final at Widnes by running in nine tries in their seventh win in eight matches.

Nine players joined in the try spree and Paul Sykes landed eight goals from nine kicks in Rovers’ fourth victory this year over Workington.

Depleted Town had only three substitutes after five players jetted to Las Vegas on a pre-arranged holiday earlier in the week.

Gareth Moore sent in half-back partner Will Milner for Featherstone’s opening try after seven minutes.

Moore then had an effort ruled out for obstruction before his pass put in Ian Hardman.

Further Rovers pressure saw slick passing by Jack Bussey, Moore, Milner and Hardman set up a touchdown for Ben Blackmore.

Shield table-toppers Featherstone increased their lead when Sykes converted his own try after Milner’s clever pass created the opening.

Workington replied with a 37th minute score from Jarrad Stack but Rovers were firmly in command at the break after Moore’s neat kick set up Bradley Knowles-Tagg’s first try at senior level.

Workington, who have won just once at Featherstone in the last 61 years, fought back in the second period. Jarrod Sammut scored the first of his two tries after Theerapol Ritson made a superb break.

Featherstone created several clear-cut chances but their finishing let them down and their lead was cut to 28-14 when Sammut scored his second from his own high kick.

Rovers finished the game with a flourish after Andy Ellis went over from acting half to spark a late scoring burst.

Excellent play by Jordan Baldwinson and Bussey saw Moore go over, Tim Spears went in from Milner’s pass and Thomas Minns crossed in the final minute.

Featherstone Rovers: Hardman; Blackmore, Sykes, Minns, Sharp; Milner, Moore; Baldwinson, Ellis, James, Spears, Snitch, Bussey. Subs: Johnson, Knowles-Tagg, Coventry, Ormondroyd.

Workington Town: Murphy; Ritson, Akehurst, Whiteley, Olstrum; Sammut, Forber; Coward, Doran, Walker, Stack, Szostak, McAvoy. Subs: Lucock, Scholey, Rooney.

Referee: Mike Woodhead (St Helens).

Attendance: 1,233.