Featherstone Rovers: Skipper Spears is proud of try feat

Have your say

SPRING-HEELED Featherstone Rovers captain Tim Spears has claimed a new world record, for the fastest try ever scored.

Spears, a second-row forward, touched down after just seven seconds of Rovers’ pre-season win over Wakefield Trinity Wildcats two days ago.

PIC: Bruce Rollinson

PIC: Bruce Rollinson

The try was credited at the time to fellow pack man Matty James, but Spears confirmed it was he who touched the ball down.

Explaining what happened, he said: “I have never seen anything like it. Danny Kirmond [Wakefield’s captain] won the toss and he wanted to play uphill in the first half.

“That suited us down to the ground because we wanted to get a good start and stamp our mark on the game.

“It was a good kick-off by Gareth Moore and it was a fair time in the air. I was just expecting to put in a good first defensive set, that’s all that was on my mind.

“Richard Mathers, I think, caught it and passed to Richard Moore. I’m not sure if he dropped it or it went behind him, but I saw the ball loose and I thought I’ll have some of that. I just grabbed it and dropped over the line.”

There is no official record for rugby league’s fastest try, but the previous quickest was credited to Rochdale Hornets’ Danny Samuel, after 7.9 seconds.

Spears’ effort has been timed at 7.7 and asked about being a new record holder, he said: “I’ll take it – it’s something for the grandkids.

“James is trying to claim it, he’s shouting from the rooftops that it was him, but it was definitely me.

“I think he tried to get there, but he ran out of pace.”

The rapid touchdown set Kingstone Press Championship outfit Rovers on course for a notable 24-8 victory over their Super League visitors.

Spears said: “It was satisfying because we’d talked about getting a good start and not showing the opposition too much respect.

“It was a fantastic start and I think it deflated them a bit. We scored another one soon afterwards and that set us well on our way.”

Despite his own memorable contribution, Spears took most delight from the way Rovers repelled Wildcats’ attack.

“The defensive side of it was the most pleasing,” he said. “We kept them to eight points and they didn’t score in the second half. That was a fantastic effort, the players’ energy, desire and enthusiasm was really good. They had a bit of pressure, but we kept them out. “We have got some new players and until you’ve been through a battle like that you’re not a tight group.“We are a tighter group for having gone through that experience.”

Spears was named captain at the start of Rovers’ pre-season campaign and said he is loving the role.

“I have supported Featherstone from being a boy and the club itself means a lot to me,” he said.

“The tradition and heritage of the club is second to very few. Being captain is a fantastic honour and something I am proud to do.”

Forward Matty Nicholson suffered a bang to the head and Gareth Moore picked up a leg injury during Sunday’s game, but coach John Bastian said neither injury is believed to be serious.

Lamont Bryan, who made 24 appearances for Featherstone Rovers last season, has joined London Skolars.

Meanwhile, Rovers have sealed a deal with Chadwick Lawrence Solicitors which sees Yorkshire’s legal people become the club’s official legal partner.

John Duffy.

Dewsbury and Featherstone ramp up positives from latest pre-season games