Featherstone Rovers 42 London Broncos 18: Dual reg’ pair add gloss to comfortable Rovers’ win

Danny Craven
Danny Craven
Have your say

LEEDS Rhinos’ dual-registered winger Luke Briscoe and full-back Danny Craven each scored two tries as Featherstone stayed on course for a top-four finish.

Winger Jamie Foster chipped in with a try and seven goals as Rovers narrowed the gap on second-placed London to four points by inflicting the Broncos’ first defeat in six games.

Foster went over from Craven’s pass to put Rovers ahead.

Briscoe then collected his first touchdown from John Davies’ clever kick to the corner but the Broncos hit back when Jack Bussey sent Daniel Harrison bursting through to score.

Featherstone led 24-6 at half-time after regaining control with two tries in five minutes.

Jack Ormondroyd crashed over from close range and Craven then darted in for his first score, shortly after London’s Eddie Battye was sin-binned for holding down.

Foster edged Rovers further ahead with his fifth goal early in the second-half before London briefly threatened a fightback when Iliess Macani crossed.

Rovers replied quickly with Briscoe’s second try and, after defending excellently to weather a spell of sustained London pressure, they sealed an impressive win with two more tries.

Anthony Thackeray went over from acting half close to the line and his neat pass sent Craven racing 45 yards for a superb try.

London finished well beaten but they had the last word two minutes from time when Elliot Kear scored their third try.

Rovers coach Jon Sharp said: “We played some really good attacking stuff but I was also delighted with our defensive effort as well as the points we scored.”

Featherstone Rovers: Craven; Briscoe, Hardman, Taulapapa, Foster; Abdull, Thackeray; Bostock, Ellis, Baldwinson, Cording, Davies, Spears. Subs: Roche, Ormondroyd, Briggs, Griffin.

London Broncos: Kear; Williams, Hellewell, Foster, Macani; Bussey, Barthau; Slyney, Cunningham, Offerdahl, Harrison, Garside, Magrin. Subs: Naiqama, Battye, Ackers, Ioane.

Referee: Sam Ansell (Huddersfield).

Attendance: 1,723.