Featherstone Rovers 20 Oldham 6: Rovers continue solid start to season

Ian Hardman
Ian Hardman
Have your say

Rovers continued their solid start in the Kingstone Press Championship with yet another excellent defensive display.

Full-back Ian Hardman and half-backs Kyle Briggs and Anthony Thackeray were key contributors as Rovers bagged their second win in three games. Rovers were 10-0 up after just 11 minutes but promoted Oldham fought back to push them all the way.

Misi Taulapapa put Featherstone ahead when Thackeray sent the Samoan international centre through a huge gap to score.

Six minutes later, Thackeray darted over for a clever individual try and Briggs added the first of his two goals.

Featherstone’s Thackeray and Kyran Johnson went close before Oldham hit back in 23rd minute when Richard Lepori went in for a try that Lewis Palfrey converted.

Featherstone’s attacks sometimes broke down because of wayward passing and, partly as a result of this, Oldham began to look more dangerous as the half progressed. The visitors started the second half strongly but it was Rovers who struck a vital blow in the 54th minute when Andy Bostock and Hardman combined superbly to put in Briggs.

Featherstone rounded things off with hooker Danny Craven’s try, scored in the last minute.

Colton Roche was held up over the line before Thackeray and John Davies made the opening for Craven to cross. the opposition whitewash.

Rovers coach Jon Sharp said afterwards: “I was really pleased we conceded only six points and I thought we were not far off being a really good attacking team as well so overall I was really happy.”

Featherstone Rovers: Hardman; Johnson, Channing, Taulapapa, Turner; Briggs, Thackeray; Griffin, Craven, Bostock, Cording, Spears, Tagg. Subs: Davies, Roche, Ormondroyd, Milner.

Oldham: Lepori; Clay, Bibby, Holmes, Chisholm; Palfrey, Grimshaw; Spencer, Owen, Joy, Hope, Langtree, Thompson. Subs: Hughes, Ward, Gee, Crowley.

Referee: Chris Kendall (RFL).

Attendance: 1,739.