Dewsbury Rams 32 Hunslet Hawks 20: Rams’ points burst pushes Hawks further into the mire

Have your say

DEWSBURY Rams ran out eventual winners over West Yorkshire rivals Hunslet Hawks thanks to a ruthless 20-minute spell in the second half which yielded 22 unanswered points.

The lead swapped hands five times during the game, with the Rams striking first as Dale Morton gave them the lead, but Jack Lee soon levelled matters with a wonderful scoot from dummy-half catching the Rams defence on the back foot.

Shane Grady gave the Rams a slender 10-6 half-time lead after a good break down field from Luke Adamson, with Grady on hand to collect the offload and score.

Hunslet were quickest out of the blocks in the second half and found some good rhythm going forward, prop Mark Castle the stand-out forward making solid yards. Lee grabbed his second of the afternoon from close range and the visitors soon found themselves on the attack again with back-to-back penalties from the restart.

The Hawks opted for the penalty goal which stopped their momentum and was a blessing in disguise for the Rams who composed themselves and increased the intensity and speed of their play which the Hawks struggled to cope with.

Just before the hour mark four tries without reply put the game beyond Hunslet.

Grady was the first over latching on to Anthony Thackeray’s short pass and then Scott Hale did likewise down the right adding four more points to the Dewsbury score.

Ryan Fieldhouse and Dalton Grant followed suit with a try apiece taking the score to 32-14, with Ryan Hepworth and Aaron Brown impressive for Rams. Danny Maun grabbed a late consolation against his former club but it was in vain and despite a valiant effort from Hunslet, the Rams had done enough in the second half to take the victory.

DEWSBURY RAMS: Fieldhouse, Morton, Uaisele, Grady, Grant, B.Delaney, Thackeray, Jackson, Wildie, Hepworth, L.Adamson, Hale, Brown. Subs: Conroy, Farrell, Nash, Smith.

HUNSLET HAWKS: Watson, Aggoro, Casey, Maun, Barnett, Brown, Ansell, Haley, Lee, Houston, Gee, Martin, Mackay. Subs: Trout, Grimshaw, Castle, Backhouse.

Referee: Gareth Hewer (RFL).

Attendance: 901.