Dewsbury 27 Workington 14: Rams rally but are made to work hard for victory

Tom Hemingway
Tom Hemingway
Have your say

Dewsbury Rams bounced back from defeat at Doncaster last week to record a hard-earned 27-14 win over fellow Championship Shield contenders Workington Town at the Tetley’s Stadium yesterday, writes Oliver Roby.

A dominant start by Rams saw Aaron Brown and Ryan Fieldhouse coast over to help their side to a 10-0 advantage after 15 minutes, before Dalton Grant stepped his way in.

And former Parramatta Eels winger Etu Uaisele showed immense strength to power in shortly afterwards, leaving the Rams 20-0 up at the interval.

Perry Whiteley and Brown then traded tries in an end-to-end start to the second period, before scores from Elliot Miller and Jarrod Sammut led something of a revival for the visitors.

But, after a period of steely defence in the face of a determined effort from the Cumbrians, a Tom Hemingway drop goal late on eased nerves in the home camp and secured the Rams’ 19th win of the season.

Dewsbury boss Glenn Morrison declared himself happy with the performance and said: “The first half was near perfect. Our defence was strong, we stuck to our gameplan, hit the right passes, used the ball well and we were clinical when chances came.

“We dipped in the second half, produced a few errors and gave away some penalties which let them back in and gave us a harder test than it should have been, but, overall, we’ve got to be pleased with the win. We’ve beaten the other three sides in the semi-finals over the last month, so we feel like we’re in a good place going into the semi against London next week.”

Dewsbury: Fieldhouse; Morton, Uaisele, Pryce, Grant; Wildie, Thackeray; Hepworth, Hemingway, Aizue; Spicer, L Adamson, Brown. Subs: Farrell, Conroy, Jackson, Nash.

Workington: Murphy; Forrester, Mossop, Stack, Miller; Sammut, Doran; Coward, C Phillips, Walker; B Phillips, Szostack, McAvoy. Subs: Forber, Olstrom, Whiteley, Scholey.

Referee: John Roberts.

Attendance: 804.