Championship/League One: Rovers nilled but Bulldogs, Dewsbury and Hunslet win

FEATHERSTONE are still looking for their first Super 8s Qualifiers victory after suffering an 12-try drubbing in their final home match of the season.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 17th September 2017, 6:01 pm
Updated Sunday, 17th September 2017, 6:10 pm
Keal Carlile, who scored a hat-trick in Batley's 34-18 win over Sheffield Eagles. PIC: James Hardisty
Keal Carlile, who scored a hat-trick in Batley's 34-18 win over Sheffield Eagles. PIC: James Hardisty

After producing gritty displays in their previous two matches against Hull KR and Catalans Dragons, Featherstone were totally outplayed in a one-sided game at LD Nutrition Stadium. They were 38-0 down at half-time after conceding three tries in the first eight minutes. Peta Hiku scored three tries and Harvey Livett bagged two touchdowns and landed 10 goals as Warrington eased to their sixth successive Qualifiers win.

The match was preceded by a minute’s silence in memory of former Featherstone player and chairman Steve Evans who has died age 59.

Hiku put Wolves ahead in the second minute and his break then led to Stefan Ratchford darting over. Livett added both conversions before going in himself at the corner.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Warrington stretched their lead to 26-0 when Kevin Brown sent in Jack Hughes and Ben Pomeroy crossed from Hiku’s pass. It wasn’t until the 30th minute that Featherstone launched their first meaningful attack, with Keal Carlile’s grubber kick forcing a goalline drop out.

They soon fell further behind when Andre Savelio dived over and Ratchford made the opening for Hughes to grab his second to complete the first-half scoring. And the one-way traffic continued throughout the second half.

Featherstone Rovers: Johnson; Turner, Taulapapa, Walters, Hardcastle; Thackeray, Wildie; Griffin, Carlile, Brooks, Davis, Farrell, Lockwood. Subs: Briggs, Cooper, Tagg, Moore.

Warrington Wolves: Ratchford; Pomeroy, Hiku, Livett, Russell; Brown, Gidley; Hill, Clark, Sims, Currie, Hughes, Cooper. Subs: King, Savelio, Johnson, Smith.

Referee: Scott Mikalauskas (RFL).

In the Championship Shield matches, Batley Bulldogs saw off visitors Sheffield Eagles 34-18 to secure second place ahead of the South Yorkshire club, and Dewsbury Rams confirmed a fourth-place finish with a 29-22 victory at Oldham Roughyeds.

In the League One Shield, second-place finishes Hunslet saw off leaders London Skolars 18-12.