Match report: Salford City Reds v Castleford Tigers

Tigers coach Terry Matterson.
Tigers coach Terry Matterson.
Have your say

Danny Orr crashed over late on as Castleford Tigers snatched victory in a tight Engage Super League encounter at Salford.

With the scores locked at 8-8 at The Willows, the Tigers scrum-half forced his way over from close range seven minutes from time and Rangi Chase made victory certain with a drop goal.

Jordan Thompson also touched down and Kirk Dixon kicked three crucial goals for the Tigers while the Reds’ points came through Jodie Broughton and Daniel Holdsworth tries.

The opening half hour was a drab, attritional affair in light drizzle.

It was not until the 33rd minute that the Reds finally illuminated the contest as Lee Jewitt broke up the middle of the field.

Jewitt looked left to find Mark Henry and Luke Patten then put Broughton over in the corner.

Cas responded in the closing minute of the first half as Orr found a gap in the Salford line.

Orr lost possession on the 10-metre line but was awarded a penalty and Dixon took the opportunity to kick for goal and halve the deficit to 4-2.

The visitors started the second half much more positively and went ahead as Chase and Richie Mathers created an opening for Thompson on the left.

Dixon converted to extend the lead but Matty Smith spurned a glorious chance to hand Salford back the initiative.

Smith stretched the Tigers defence as he broke from deep inside his own half but opted not to pass to Broughton as he was caught 20 metres out.

Salford quickly shifted the ball out right but Cas retreated and Sean Gleeson was unable to break through.

Gleeson found himself in the right place soon after, however, as a mix-up in the Cas ranks allowed the ball to bounce and the Reds centre flicked the ball up for Holdsworth to score.

Yet Holdsworth’s failure to convert for a second time left the scores tied and set up a tense finale.

The breakthrough came seven minutes from time after a 40-20 kick by Chase.

The Tigers applied the pressure and Orr plunged over from dummy half at close range under the posts.

Dixon added the extras and Chase added the insurance of a drop goal as time ran out.

Meanwhile, Tigers have been fined £500 for breaching operational rules at the round 16 fixture against Huddersfield Giants on June 5.

Tigers had to borrow a set of Halifax shirts after both teams turned up at the Shay – Huddersfield’s temporary home – with predominantly white kit.

An RFL statement said an investigation “determined that Castleford failed to implement an amended kit directive issued on March 9, 2011 instructing them to play in their principal kit against Huddersfield, who were instructed to play in their alternative kit”.

Tigers have 14 days to appeal.

Salford City Reds: Patten, Broughton, Ratchford, Gleeson, Henry, Smith, Holdsworth, Cashmere, Godwin, Boyle, L. Adamson, Nero, Anderson. Subs: Jewitt, Paleaaesina, Sidlow, Neal.

Castleford Tigers: Mathers, Dixon, Thompson, Arundel, Youngquest, Chase, Orr, Jackson, Hudson, Emmitt, Snitch, Ferres, McGoldrick. Subs: Fozzard, Massey, Widders, Clark.

Referee: Phil Bentham (Warrington).


Castleford Tigers forward Mike McMeeken. PIC: Jonathan Gawthorpe

Castleford Tigers: Grand Final defeat will always rankle says McMeeken