Castleford: Tigers turn tide at Wolves through hard graft

Ben Roberts
Ben Roberts
Have your say

Castleford claimed a hard-earned 22-14 victory as Warrington suffered their fourth successive Super League defeat at the Halliwell Jones stadium.

The scores were locked at 10-10 in a tense second half when prop forward Grant Millington made a superb midfield break and Adam Milner was on hand to take his pass and touch down for a crucial score with 15 minutes remaining.

Three minutes later a Ben Currie charge-down bounced straight into the hand of Tigers half-back Luke Gale, who raced 60 metres to set up the position from which Ben Roberts claimed what was to prove the match-winning try.

Castleford also claimed first-half tries through Luke Dorn and Jordan Tansey, while Gale finished with three goals.

Warrington’s other points came through tries by Stefan Ratchford and Ryan Atkins and a Gareth O’Brien conversion.

Warrington welcomed back Richie Myler after sitting out the last six games following a hernia operation, while Matty Russell missed out after limping out of Thursday’s defeat by Widnes with an ankle problem.

Castleford made a host of changes following the Good Friday loss to Leeds with Tansey, Michael Channing, Roberts, Frankie Mariano and Will Maher all coming into the squad.

In bright sunshine it was the visitors who made the perfect start when a rampaging midfield break by Scott Weeldon set up the position from which Gale’s long pass allowed winger Tansey to score in the corner for the opening try.

Gale then saw his difficult touchline conversion attempt hit the post as the Tigers took an early 4-0 lead.

But the Wolves gradually found their way back into the game and Joel Monaghan was denied a try when Chris Bridge’s pass was ruled to be forward before they hit the Tigers with two tries in two minutes

The Wolves registered their first points on 16 minutes when Ratchford scored under the posts off a grubber kick. Then straight from the restart O’Brien’s long pass released Penny down the wing and he raced 50 metres before sending the supporting Atkins over to score. O’Brien added one of the conversions as the Wolves led 10-4. But they were caught with a sucker punch four minutes before half-time when, on a rare foray into opposition territory, Gale’s bullet pass allowed Luke Dorn to cross for a simple try and Gale’s conversion levelled matters at 10-10 at half-time. Milner crossed on 65 minutes followed by Roberts try and, although Penny’s effort eight minutes from time gave the Wolves some hope, the Tigers were not to be denied.

Warrington: Ratchford; Monaghan, Bridge, Atkins, Penny; O’Brien, Myler; Hill, Higham, Sims, Currie, Westwood, Harrison. Replacements: Clark, Asotasi, England, Laithwaite.

Castleford: Dorn; Tansey, Channing, Shenton, Carney; Roberts, Gale; Lynch, B Moore, Wheeldon, Mariano, Cook, Massey. Replacements: Milner, Millington, Boyle, S Moore.

Referee: James Child (RFL).

Attendance: 8,518.

The Mend A Hose Jungle.

Castleford Tigers’ home clash with Wigan rearranged for mid-summer date