London Irish 37 Yorkshire Carnegie 14: Game-time exercise ends in a defeat for Carnegie

Yorkshire Carnegie exited the British and Irish Cup at the Madejski Stadium where coach Bryan Redpath used the game as an opportunity to give game time to some of the younger players in the squad.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 12th March 2017, 5:42 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:02 am
Tryscorer Josh Bainbridge.
Tryscorer Josh Bainbridge.

Both sides started the game playing rather expansive styles, throwing the ball around and trying to create space for the wingers. And while Carnegie had the better of the field position, it was the home side who opened the scoring after 10 minutes. A penalty from a scrum allowed London Irish to kick for goal, and fly half Jacob Atkins made no mistake from just short of halfway.

This gave the Exiles some momentum, and they were able to extend their lead moments later. Carnegie managed to hit back against the run of play when Josh Bainbridge raced away. Warren Seals converted.

Yorkshire continued to create chances, but just being unable to convert.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Tryscorer Stevie McColl.

Irish, on the other hand, made use of any good field position they had, winning a penalty right in front of the Carnegie posts and choosing to kick for goal.

Atkins again stepped up to convert, giving Irish a 13-7 lead at half-time.

The second half started in a similar fashion to the first, with both teams moving the ball in the hopes of finding an opening.

But it was Irish who were able to extend their lead before Carnegie were able to grab a late consolation as Stevie McColl got through from close range with Seals converting.

Tryscorer Stevie McColl.

But the game was all but over when Matt Williams completed the afternoon’s scoring with Irish’s fifth try.

London Irish: Ransom, Ojo, Hearn (Brand 55’), Neal, Williams, Atkins, Allinson (Murphy 75’), Elrington (Hobbs-Awoyemi 67’), Gleave (Porecki 75’), Hoskins (Hay 77’), Lloyd (Sinclair 55’), McNally, Narraway (c), Gilsenan, Nayalo (Sexton 60’). Subs: Porecki (Gleave 75’), Hobbs-Awoyemi (Elrington 67’), Hay (Hoskins 77’), Sinclair (Lloyd 55’), Sexton (Nayalo 60’), Brand (Hearn 55’), Murphy (Allinson 75’).

Yorkshire Carnegie: McColl, Arscott (Brown 65’), Goss (c), Seals, Prell, Allan (Davey 60’), Green, Beesley (Beech 64’), Mayhew (Poole 64’), Faletau (Thraves 52’), Schofield (Sanderson 52’), Smith, Wilson, Bainbridge, Staples. Subs: Poole (Mayhew 64’), Beech (Beesley 64’), Thraves (Faletau 52’), Sanderson (Schofield 52’), Borrowdale, Davey (Allan 60’), Brown (Arscott 65’).

Referee: Rhys Thomas.