Yorkshire Amateur: Surtees salvages a point as leaders Farsley Celtic Juniors drop first points of season

LEADERS Farsley Celtic Juniors finally saw their perfect start ended with a late leveller from Louis Surtees needed to salvage a 2-2 draw at nearest pursuers Drighlington.

Tuesday, 20th November 2018, 10:32 am
Updated Tuesday, 20th November 2018, 10:39 am
Joe Firth, of Farsley Celtic Juniors,opens the scoring from the penalty spot past Drighlington goalkeeper Ben Foster. PIC: Steve Riding

Farsley approached the fixture following a perfect seven wins out of seven but the Premier Division leaders lost skipper Craig Farrand to injury after just ten minutes.

Farsley still took the lead when Joe Firth converted a spot kick but Drighlington restored parity before half-time when Josh Frankland’s corner somehow squeezed in at the near post.

Drighlington then took the game to Farsley and went 2-1 up after they were awarded a penalty taken by Carlton Binks who converted calmly.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Joe Firth scrambles a shot against the odds. PIC: Steve Riding

But with five minutes to go, Farsley drew level when Surtees converted another penalty to maintain their unbeaten record and rescue a point.

Drighlington remain just three points behind Farsley in second with only one more point back to the weekend’s big winners in third, Grangefield Old Boys, who closed in with a 4-1 success at home to seventh-placed Stanley United.

Grangefield took the lead after just one minute through Kristian Dacre before Stanley’s Ben Huntington headed in the equaliser.

Dacre’s simple header restored the Grangefield lead after just 20 minutes with Andrew Kenyon then coolly finishing to make it 3-1 at the break.

Danny Lyons, of Farsley Celtic Juniors, evades onlooking Drig' defenders. PIC: Steve Riding

Luke Hunter added a fourth for the hosts who kept up the same intensity in the second half though Grangefield’s afternoon was marred somewhat owing to Dacre suffering an injury.

At the bottom of the division, Wibsey’s woes continue as they fell to a 2-1 defeat at Leeds Medics & Dentists who are up to fifth. Wibsey took the lead in the first half when Simon Sewell struck home a wonderful volley from 20 yards.

But ten minutes later, the Medics were level after a superb freekick from captain David Emms was bent around the wall.

Wibsey still appeared on course for just their fourth point of the season but Medics had other ideas and bagged an 88th-minute winner when Colm Hicks struck from 12 yards through a crowded area.

Wibsey remain three points behind second-bottom Stanningley Old Boys who took a 5-1 battering at home to Horsforth St Margaret’s who are up to fourth.

Stanningley were ahead early on as Matthew Gerraghty converted with composure from the spot. But the rest of the afternoon followed a similar pattern with Will Harris, Aidan Gilligan, Jake Williams, Daniel Mountain and Greg Rowell all netting for the visitors.

Four games were played in the Championship with Garforth Crusaders climbing to fourth with a 7-1 romp at second-bottom Mount St Mary’s.

Ryan Barrow led the way with a brace supported by strikes from Harry Coates, Scott Fletcher.

Liam Hart, Thomas Helliwell and Stephen Phillips with Trishmpriyo Sarkar netting a late consolation for the hosts.

Garforth are only four points behind leaders Gildersome Spurs Old Boys and have a game in hand.

St Bedes are level on points with Garforth in fifth but have played three games more after their 5-2 success at home to fourth-bottom Leeds Medics & Dentists Reserves.

Andrew McHugh’s double was added to by goals from James Hilmartin, Jermaine Moyce and Gary Sunderland with Floran Nurudeen supplying both of the Medics’ responses.

At the bottom, Beeston St Anthony’s finally gained their first league win of the season with a 3-1 verdict at Shire Academics who dropped to sixth – also on the same number of points as Garforth and Bedes but having played an extra game than Bedes.

Tony Garth, Lee Nutton and Tyler Walker all struck for Beeston in the face of a Jacob Coen strike for Shire.

Leeds City Old Boys moved eighth with a 2-0 win at seventh-placed Ealandians Reserves –Mark Dixon and Adam Fox both struck the target.

There was also a notable scoreline in Division Three between Huddersfield Amateur and Leeds City Old Boys 3rds – the game was a nine-goal thriller in which Leeds City came out on top as 5-4 victors.

Reuben Young bagged a hat-trick, supported by goals from Sam Millichamp and Declan Rose with Sam Halstead, Peter Drydon, Ben Hallitt and Anthony Wadsworth netting for the hosts.


YORKSHIRE Amateur League (YAL) Division Two side Leeds City Old Boys Reserves took the scalp of Division One outfit Farsley Celtic Reserves with a late winner and 3-2 success booking a place in the Leeds & District FA District Cup quarter-finals.

City will now face Beeston St Anthony’s Reserves who walloped visiting North Leeds 8-0. Leeds City Reserves also powered their way past visiting Hunslet Club Reserves 6-0 to set up a last four date at home to Whitkirk Wanderers Reserves who enjoyed 5-3 success at home to Leeds Independent. Glenn Wood’s double was backed up a goal apiece from Liam Robinson, Martin Shaw and Kean Daniel Varley with a Dan Walker double and Jordan Clark strike in vain for Indy.

Two YAL sides reached the semi-finals of the Bradford District Cup with Athletico defeating Hunsworth 5-4 thanks to Mohammed Qasim, Adil Tanvir, Saad Abbas, Shummel Uddin and Mohsin Arfan after recovering from being 2-1 down at the interval.

Calverley United also saw off Field Reserves 5-4 on penalties following a 3-3 draw after levelling with seconds to go. Calverley’s Si McQuiston notched a brace, supported by a Tom Hird strike. Liam Charles (2) and Glynn Hirst netted for Field. Field edged out visiting TVR United 2-1 with goals from Joshua Milner and Kieran Suddards in the face of a Danny Hussain response for TVR.

Salts overcame visiting Thackley 6-2 with Harry Naylor’s four-timer supported by strikes from Ross Barraclough and Jamie Birchall. Goals from Joe Storey and Jamie Underdown were in vain for Thackley.

In the Halifax FA District Cup, holders Ealandians eased past hosts Midgley United 6-0 as Connah Judson bagged his first Ealandians hat-trick. Jordan Burnham added a brace with Colin Schofield also netting. Ryburn United beat visiting Greetland 4-2 with a brace from George Turner plus goals from Christian Silkstone and Reece Uttley.

Sowerby Bridge also blitzed visiting Ovenden West Riding 5-0 led by a Sam Hiley brace while Huddersfield Amateur walloped visiting St Columba’s, 7-1.