Yorkshire Amateur League: Sluggish 'Field face an uphill struggle

Premier Division stalwarts Grangefield Old Boys' uncharacteristically sluggish start to the season continued with a demoralising 6-1 defeat to Leeds Medics at Weetwood.

Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 5:17 am
Updated Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 3:09 pm
Jimmy Greenhough shoots wide for Stanley United as Dom Rawlings tries to block for St Nicholas. PIC: Steve Riding

Grangefield have started the last three campaigns with back-to-back victories but are winless so far this term and languish second-bottom of the table.

“In the last five years, we’ve never been out of the top six of the top flight,” club secretary Steven Flesher commented.

“We have some good players in that team but a few individuals are having off games at the moment and not quite putting it together on the day.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“We’re hoping we can put a few good results together and get back up the league.”

On Saturday they had an early lead through Grant Jackson but a Dave Emms penalty and a Dave Ashmore’s impudent chip took the Medics in 2-1 up.

Grangefield went down to 10 men with James Kemp being given his marching orders and the home side took full advantage; Emms slotting another penalty and Jonathan Makela, Paul Jackson and James Chadwick completing the win.

St Nicholas will no doubt once again curse their rotten luck with refereeing decisions after they ended a 3-0 loss to Stanley United – with eight men.

Nick’s impressed in the first half but the dismissals of Darren Gaskin, Paul Hewson and substitute Calvin Spencer proved insuperable.

Stanley continue to thrive after their move from the West Yorkshire League and got their fourth win from four games thanks to goals from Joseph Childs, Ash Munton and Dean Powell.

Title contenders Alwoodley and Ealandians shared the spoils in an excellent 3-3 draw at the Avenue.

Dan Whincup’s goal inside the first minute and Geoff Clarkson’s effort from 18 yards were huge early blows to the visitors but they bit back with a deflected strike from James Flower and Glyn Haley’s brace of a low header and a volley.

It was yet another contest that saw a man red-carded.

This time it was Dom Finn who left Ealandians short-handed before they conceded a penalty, which was converted by Dan Whincup to earn a point.

Farnley Sports had to settle for a 2-2 draw against Trinity at New Farnley Cricket Club in what was only their third outing in the league.

James Offlow put them 1-0 up in the 15th minute and they should have extended their advantage, only for the away side to strike through Kelton Stringer and Andy Kenyon, who earned and converted a spot-kick.

Danny Purcell robbed a ponderous defender of the ball to restore parity in the second half and Farnley ended the game in the ascendancy, albeit somewhat restricted to long-range pot-shots.

As the remaining Marflitt Trophy first-round ties were completed, Wigton Moor were knocked out with a whimper by Division One Horsforth in a 5-0 reverse at Tree Tops.

James Wilson, with a hat-trick, Danny Mountain and Nico McDonald were the chief architects of their downfall.

Stanningley Old Boys avoided an upset at the hands of third-tier Farsley Celtic Reserves in a nervy 3-2 win.

Despite Mark Wilson’s goal, Farsley held the lead on the hour mark with Loz Patterson and the excellent Steve Wells on target. Stanningley’s top-flight quality told in possession of the ball, however.

And after Jamie McGeorge levelled terms, Mark Wilson’s classy 20-yard curler settled the tie.

Farsley Celtic were heading for a second defeat in a row at 2-1 down against knockout specialists Drighlington but a second-half revival put them through to the next round.

Shane Sowden and Jonny Kitchen put the second tier side in front at the break but headed efforts from Ryan Collett, Pat Doherty and Said Osman dismissed the prospect of an upset.

Beeston Juniors, Farsley’s conquerors last week in league action, almost slipped up against Thornesians but Tom Lund and Brad Lloyd booked their ticket to the next round in a 2-1 victory.

Morley Town won the battle at the top of the Championship, beating Collingham Juniors 4-3 in a pulsating encounter at Harewood Road.

Aidan Philip bagged a brace and Joe Hemingway also scored.

Wortley are clicking in to gear and were superb in defeating Shire Academics 5-0.

There were doubles for Lewis Hunter and Cody Doyle at the West Leeds RUFC-hosted encounter.

Beeston St Anthony’s rose to sixth with a 4-0 win against bottom side Alwoodley Reserves.

Tony Garth wrapped up a brace before half-time and Luke Boyes and Josh Fieldhouse added to the tally.

Mount St Mary’s and Leeds Medics Reserves played out the first goalless draw of the season in the second tier.