Yorkshire Amateur League: Saints are learning to be more savvy

Despite not getting the breaks in recent weeks, St Nicholas sealed a dramatic 6-3 win over St Bede's in extra-time of their Marflitt Trophy first-round clash.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 12th October 2016, 5:45 am
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 1:44 pm
Hancock Cup action from Norristhorpe v Leeds City OB. PIC: Steve Riding
Hancock Cup action from Norristhorpe v Leeds City OB. PIC: Steve Riding

The Oakwood Lane outfit have bemoaned a spate of controversial penalty decisions that have gone against them of late, particularly in last weekend’s 1-1 draw with Leeds Medics.

“There was plenty of argy-bargy and I think we could have won the game a lot more comfortably had we not got involved with that side of it,” club secretary Ryan Brough said.

“It’s just basic decisions going against us and, at the moment, we’re not learning as a team and getting through those basic things.

“Refereeing errors have cost us but we’ve got to learn to overcome them and be better.”

Division One St Bede’s went 2-0 up thanks to a Tawheed Ahmed penalty and Saul Peltier’s goal which made it look like the same old story for Nick’s.

The game went to extra-time at 2-2 and despite Ty Akram’s strike, Brough’s brace and further strikes from Josh Moon, Kwame Westermann, Michael Sharp and Jonathan Davis proved enough.

The opening round of the Marflitt Trophy, altered this year to be open to the top three tiers, did not yield many upsets but plenty of Premier Division sides were given a run for their money.

None more so than Farnley Sports who were given a scare by third-tier Gildersome Spurs in their 4-2 win at Bruntcliffe Lane.

Ash Crooks gave Farnley the lead but then got himself sent off, which opened the door for a frantic spell in which four goals were scored in 18 second-half minutes by Conor Firth and Danny Phillips for the hosts and James Offlow, twice, for the visitors.

A 45-yard screamer from centre-half Dave Walker in injury time cleared the way for Farnley.

An excellent display from goalkeeper Muzi Siso kept Division One leaders Leeds Independent in the game for long periods against Grangefield Old Boys to whom they eventually lost 3-1.

Siso was busy in the first half but Ryan O’Donnell put Independent ahead in the 42nd minute, only for Chris Cairns to equalise minutes later.

Glen Austwick’s volley was too good for Siso and Christian Dacre’s backheel sealed the tie with 15 minutes to play.

Championship side Beeston St Anthony’s never threw in the towel against Leeds Medics, although a James Chadwick double and goals from Niall Robinson and Brad Chambers were always enough.

Top-flight Trinity exited their third cup competition in as many weeks as Calverley United beat them 4-0 through Chris Coates, Jake Smith, Rob Nicholson and Jordan Williams.

By contrast, second-tier Drighlington can do no wrong in knockout football and, although they never reached the heights of last weekend’s win over Golcar United, beat Garforth Rangers 2-1 through Joe Hirst’s and Ben Small’s goals.

Stanley United, unbeaten in all competitions, breezed past a youthful Rothwell outfit 7-1.

Josh Whiteley starred with a brace for Stanley.

But Stuart Davies, Matthew Oxer, Kieran Wright, Russ England and Kane Willington all notched in a super team display by United.

Premier Division Ealandians came through a tough assignment in the shape of Leeds Medics Reserves but won their tie 2-1 at Elland Cricket Club.

Beeston Juniors took a confidence-boosting win home from Batley, beating Old Batelians 7-0.

Jamie Mitchell hit four while Richard Dawson and Richard Dunbar also notched.

An all-Championship tie went the way of Mount St Mary’s in the last minute of extra time, beating Shire Academics 3-2 thanks to goals from Conor Parsons, Gordon Talbot and Aiden Kearsley.

Alwoodley Reserves defeated Wortley 2-1 in the other Marflitt match-up.

Sides with cup byes took to league action and the only game in the Premier Division saw Farsley Celtic Juniors beat Wigton Moor 5-0 – but not without difficulty.

Joe Firth struck early but the champions were frustrated until Craig Farrand’s 75th minute goal doubled their lead.

Farrand scored from the spot and Danny Lyons and Ryan Collett also got on the scoresheet for Farsley.

Celtic’s Marflitt Trophy tie with Drighlington in a fortnight already looks a tantalising prospect.

Wigton, meanwhile, wait for an upturn in results to go with performances.

Collingham Juniors, who retain their perfect record and will push Morley Town all the way at the top of the Championship, beat Thornesians 8-1 in a one-sided game at Horbury Road.

In the Hancock Cup, there were wins for Farnley Sports Reserves, Morley Town Reserves, Old Centralians and Colton Athletic.

In the Hodgson Cup the big winners were West End Park, Garforth Crusaders and Shire Academics IV.