Yorkshire Amateur League: Beeston stun leaders with surprise victory

Farsley Celtic's bid to retain the Premier Division took its first major blow at the hands of Beeston Juniors, who beat them 3-2 at Cardinal Square.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 19th October 2016, 5:05 am
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 4:23 pm
Beeston Juniors goalscorers Ryan Dawson, Carlton Binks and Tom Lund give the thumbs up after their 3-2 win over Farsley Celtic Juniors. PIC: Steve Riding
Beeston Juniors goalscorers Ryan Dawson, Carlton Binks and Tom Lund give the thumbs up after their 3-2 win over Farsley Celtic Juniors. PIC: Steve Riding

The only game in the top flight certainly lived up to its billing as the hitherto inconsistent Beeston inflicted a league defeat on Farsley for the first time since September 2015.

Candid Beeston manager Peter Tebbutt expected his side to struggle against the holders, saying, “At the start of the game I said to our guys that we’d settle for a draw.

“We expected them to be a bit more physical.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

“I think they probably looked at our defeats and thought they were going to come here and walk all over us.

“We’ve played Ealandians, who I think will be pretty pleased at us winning, and I think they are a better side than Farsley.”

Tebbutt revealed that his team were missing several first-teamers and felt that the scoreline could have been even more convincing.

“We matched them everywhere on the pitch and the two goals came from our mistakes,” he said.

“It could have been a different story were it not for them.

“Over the last few years their second team has probably been better than our firsts, but I had three second-team players out there on Saturday and I was even a named sub myself!”

Louis Surtees and Said Osman brought the visitors back on level terms twice in response to first-half strikes from Tom Lund and Richard Dawson.

But Carlton Binks’ free-kick – awarded after an unnecessary foul in a threatening position – gave the home side their first win of the season and broke Celtic’s perfect record.

The champions were roundly heard claiming they deserved a draw although the performance of Beeston’s goalkeeper may have proved the difference between the sides.

In the Championship, Calverley United and Collingham Juniors exploited the advantage of the steep slope at Calverley Park to the tune of two goals each in a 2-2. Collingham sought to learn from previous mishaps and opted to take the hill on in the first half; they were content despite finding themselves 2-0 down at the break to a Chris Coates brace.

Jordan Riley’s powerful header made it 2-1 on 70 minutes and Richie Gouland’s stunning volley from outside the box with four minutes to play was a fitting conclusion to an entertaining game.

Collingham are now four points clear at the top of the second tier though Morley Town – in Wheatley Cup action at the weekend – have two games in hand on them.

Wortley made it two wins in a row by defeating Alwoodley Reserves 5-0 at the Avenue.

Joe Hudson bagged a hat-trick to continue his fine start to the season and Cody Doyle also chipped in with two goals.

Alwoodley forecast that their reserves would struggle and they are being slowly proven right as they sit at the foot of the table after five games.

Horsforth St Margaret’s rose to top spot in Division One with a fourth victory in a row against Farsley Celtic Reserves, 3-2 at Fulneck School.

James Watson scored twice and Jake Williams took his tally for the season to nine while the visitors struck either side of the half-time break through Jacob Kellet and Steve Wells.

Celtic must look to arrest their slide which has seen them lose four of their last five outings.

Grangefield might not have been targeting their game against promotion-chasing Huddersfield YMCA to get their first points of the season but, in the end, they beat them convincingly 4-1.

YMCA’s consolation came courtesy of a Phabian Sylvester goal.

Leeds Medics III climbed to fourth in the table with a 3-1 defeat of Old Batelians at Batley Grammar.

The hosts, who sit second-bottom and in a poor patch of form, netted through former Heckmondwicke man Scott Molloy, assisted by Simon Gledhill.

Hotshot Ryan Fuller kept Collegians at the top of Division Two with four goals in their 8-2 win against Colton Athletic at Huddersfield New College.

Fuller, whose tally stands at 13, hit four while Scott Kirkbright and Rob Shaw bagged braces.

Colton’s main threat Chris Hicks, scored their goals, both in the first half.

Idle got back to winning ways after their loss to Ealandians Reserves with a 6-4 defeat of Wheelwright Old Boys.

Arran Irving notched a hat-trick, Ryan Mitchell had two and Adam Medley also got his name on the scoresheet, while Wheelwright struck through Jonny Beverley and Jordan Smith, both twice.

Sixth-placed Morley Town Reserves beat Lepton Highlanders 7-3 in the other game in the fourth tier.