Sunday County Cups: Mallinson's magic steers JB Celtic to magnificent seven-goal haul and place in West Riding County Sunday Cup third round

JB CELTIC stormed into the third round of the West Riding County FA Sunday Cup as a John Mallinson treble inspired a 7-1 success at Fountain Head.

Wednesday, 9th November 2016, 5:23 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:30 pm
Matthew Waller, centre, celebrates after his last goal made the score 3-1 to Hope Inn at Seacroft.

On a day of plenty of success for Combination League sides, Jack Kitson added a brace for Celtic whose Richard Feltham and Richie Banks also added a goal each.

Chapeltown Fforde Grene eased to a 5-0 win at home to New Sharlston Welfare.

Daniel Sheriffe bagged a hat-trick with Craig Maynard and Ashton Campbell adding a goal apiece.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Hope Inn Whites also moved through with a 3-1 win at league rivals Seacroft WMC for whom a Ryan Robinson strike was in vain.

Two goals from Barry Danby gave HT Sports a 2-1 success at home to Ryburn United while Leeds City Rovers were awarded an away walkover from their clash at Horsforth St Margaret’s.

And Combination League Premier side Colton also progressed with a 5-3 defeat of Heavy Woollen League visitors AFC Chickenley.

Olly Mallinson netted from the penalty spot in addition to goals from Jordan Booth, Matt Booth and Luke Stones.

Main Line Social, though, were dumped out 4-3 on penalties at Sandy Lane after a 2-2 draw.

Combination Division Two side West Yorkshire Falcons were also eclipsed 3-0 at home to Bradford Phoenix.

Ferrybridge Progressive struck a blow for the Castleford Sunday League by hammering Leeds Combination League visitors Horsforth Fairweather 8-1.

Michael Dunn and Regan Fish both bagged doubles for Castleford Sunday League champions Ferry whose Alex Booth, Danny Middleton, Brett Smith and Luke Harling all added a goal each against the visitors who are fifth in the Combination’s Jubilee Premier.

Ferry’s league rivals Fryston AFC were dumped out of the competition after a 4-2 loss at Olympic First while fellow Castleford Sunday League side FC Pontefract lost 2-1 at home to Swaine Green First.

Nevi Leap are also out after hosts Bolton Woods were awarded a home walkover while FC Byram Munich’s hosts West Bowling received a home walkover.

But Castleford Sunday League Division one outfit AFC Cutsyke moved through with a 7-1 defeat of visiting Aire Athletic.

Ben Muggleton’s four-timer was supported by a brace from Gary Maclaren and a Michael Horbury strike.

Whitwood Metrotstars were also awarded a home walkover against Eccleshill Athletic.

Heavy Woollen League champions St John Fisher moved through with a 7-5 win at Crossflatts Village while Woodkirk Valley savoured a 5-1 verdict at Overthorpe Sports Club from the division below.

Heckmondwike Sports Club – languishing at the bottom of the Heavy Woollen Premier – also enjoyed a welcome 6-2 success at home to Beldon Oddies.

Birstall Cricket Club were also celebrating after a 4-1 triumph at Myrtle Park Claret and Blue.

Heavy Woollen League Championship side Clifton Rangers were defeated 5-3 at Halifax Hammers but Wellington Westgate were awarded an away walkover from their clash at FC Blakes.

Elsewhere, Keighley Athletic – of the Wharfedale Triangle League – suffered a 4-3 loss at Thornton United after a 2-2 draw. Otley Tavern, who are bottom of Division One of the Wharfedale Triangle League, lost 5-2 at home to Grassgreener United.

Wakefield Sunday League side King George blitzed visiting Prospect 8-3 while Claro League outfit Showbiz Whites moved through with a 3-2 win at Thornton United but KTown United were sunk 8-1 by visiting Feathers.

Sunday Trophy

MILLSHAW PARK Rangers enjoyed an incredible victory in the second round of the West Riding County Sunday Trophy, recovering from being 3-0 down with 10 men to win 7-6 on penalties at FC Queensbury.

After Leeds Combination League outfit Millshaw went 1-0 down, the dismissal of their goalkeeper Oliver Woodhead for violent conduct was followed by two further goals for the hosts who led 3-0 at half-time.

But Scott Carter then amazingly bagged a second-half hat-trick to leave the game 3-3 after 90 minutes.

The contest was eventually decided on penalties in which stand in ’keeper Adam Marshall made the crucial save in sudden death.

Boss Chris Holland beamed: “There were absolute scenes at the end – it was better than Liverpool in Istanbul.”

Plenty of other Combination League teams progressed to the third round, led by Kippax Sundays who hammered visiting Wakefield Athletic 10-2.

Aaron Gray helped himself to a four-timer and Richard Jackson bagged a hat-trick, with those efforts supported by strikes from Josh Morley, Peter Gibbons and an Athletic own goal.

Kirkstall Crusaders also bashed away side Scholemoor Rovers 6-0. Ash Thompson’s double was backed up by a goal each from Dan Smith, Martin Loveridge, James Hochstrasser and Hubert Jamroz.

Corpus Christi obliged 5-1 at Ravenswharfe thanks to a brace from Phil Jarvis plus strikes from Liam Atwood, Connor Reed and Kane Woods.

And Pudsey Athletic won 3-1 in an all-Combination League tie at Halfway for whom an Adam Pullford goal failed to prevent defeat.

Luke Clifford’s brace and a Duncan Spence strike sent Pudsey through.

But goals from Matthew Chapman, Adam Hepworth and Ash Cunningham were in vain for Old Hall Town who were chinned 4-3 by visiting Burton Leonard.

A Marcus Liburd strike proved only a consolation for New Moorside who lost 7-1 at Shepherds Arms while New Pudsey lost 7-6 on penalties at home to Redhill Sports after a 0-0 draw. Woodcock also lost out 2-1 at home to Halton.