Ritchie to contest Glennon red card

Southend United 4 Huddersfield Town 1 Huddersfield Town manager Andy Ritchie will today launch an appeal against goalkeeper Matt Glennon's controversial dismissal in last night's 4-1 defeat at Southend United.

The former Carlisle United shot-stopper was shown a red card 14 minutes from time, when the Terriers trailed just 2-1, when referee Mick Thorpe adjudged him to have brought down Shrimpers striker Leon Clarke.

But Clarke confessed to the officials that he slipped and Ritchie – who also saw captain Frank Sinclair sent off for stamping on Alan McCormack in stoppage time – is hoping Glennon will not have to serve a suspension.

"We didn't play but we got ourselves back in the game at 2-1, only for our goalkeeper to get sent off," said Ritchie.

"Their lad told the ref that Matt didn't touch him but he still sent him off and although that hasn't helped us for this game, I'm hoping it will be rescinded."

That would stop Glennon missing this Saturday's clash against Leeds United but the Terriers will need to produce an improved performance if they are to avoid another defeat at Elland Road.

They started slowly against Southend and went behind after just three minutes when the returning Clarke was left completely unmarked inside the six-yard box to sweep home a low Kevin Maher cross.

Clarke was then superbly denied a second by a fine save from Glennon but the home side eventually doubled their lead in the 57th minute when Alan McCormack comfortably slotted home from close range after being teed up by Dean Morgan.

That seemed to have settled the match in Southend's favour but Huddersfield, who arrived at Roots Hall having won five of their last six games, worked their way back into the game 10 minutes later when Danny Schofield netted his first goal of the season.

The midfielder headed home an Andy Booth flick from Joe Skarz's curling free-kick and Town were beginning to look like they could get back level.

But Glennon was then harshly dismissed and Southend made full advantage of their extra man by extending their lead in the 84th minute when Mark Gower fired home a fine 20-yard shot past poorly positioned substitute goalkeeper Andy Smithies.

McCormack then piled further misery on the visitors by heading a Maher free-kick into the bottom right hand corner of the net and deep into added on time things got even worse for Town as they were reduced to nine men when captain Sinclair was also shown a red card to complete an instantly forgettable and frustrating night for Ritchie's men.

But the boss does not want to dwell on the defeat.

"We have to make sure we rest correctly and are ready for the early kick off on Saturday," he said.

Huddersfield Town: Glennon, Sinclair, Mirfin, N Clarke, Skarz, Kamara (Jevons 73), Wallwork (Collins 81), Holdsworth, Schofield, Cadamarteri, Booth (Smithies 76)

Subs not used: Beckett and Williams

Southed United: Collis, Hunt, P Clarke, Barrett, Hammell, McCormack, Bailey, Maher, Gower, L Clarke, Morgan (MacDonald 85)

Subs not used: Flahavan, Francis, Moussa and Richards.

Referee: Mike Thorpe (Suffolk).