Yorkshire Amateur League: Unbeaten Stanley coping with step up

Drighlington's Ben Small flicks the ball on
Drighlington's Ben Small flicks the ball on
Have your say

Newcomers Stanley United continued to prosper in the Premier Division with a hard-fought 3-2 win against Beeston Juniors at Rothwell Sports Club.

“It was a tough game, they are probably the fittest side we’ve played this season,” club secretary Andrew Eaton said.

“We know the strength of this league having come across some top sides in County Cups and other competitions.

“We’ve noticed the step up in terms of how fit teams are, but we’ll be hoping for top four in the league and a good cup run.”

Stanley, who have won their first three games this term, sought the move after winning the West Yorkshire League Division 1 title, but being refused promotion as their ground’s facilities did not meet standards.

On Saturday they came up against an energetic Beeston side that found themselves 2-0 down at the break at the hands of Josh Whiteley and Matty Williamson.

Ashley Munton added a third at the start of the second half, only for Jamie Mitchell and the excellent Matthew Wood to pull the game back to 3-2 and set up a nervous finish.

Alwoodley’s purple patch shows no sign of ending as they beat Grangefield Old Boys 3-2 at Weetwood.

Glen Austwick gave the hosts the lead on 10 minutes but it didn’t take long for Callum Armstrong to impose himself as the tricky winger helped himself to a hat-trick.

Matt Tomlinson’s 75th minute strike kept Grangefield, whose tally of two points from four games does not reflect the quality of their performances, in the contest until the end.

Wigton Moor earned their first points of the season with a 2-1 defeat of lowly Stanningley Old Boys at Shadwell Lane.

In-form striker Leroy Watson gave Wigton a lead later cancelled out by James Allan, before Daniel Walker slotted home the winner past Stanningley’s latest stand-in ’keeper.

The top division’s other game saw Francisco Matos mastermind a 2-1 win for Leeds Medics against highly-fancied Ealandians.

Andy Hudson opened the scoring but Matos crossed for John Forrest and then fired home himself from 18 yards to seal a deserved victory.

A depleted Trinity were an early top-flight casualty in the Yorkshire Old Boys Shield as Championship side Drighlington put in a performance worthy of the Premier Division to beat them 7-1. Josh Frankland hit four with further goals added by Shane Sowden, Ben Small and Joe Hirst.

Farnley Sports were pushed hard by Division One’s Gildersome Spurs but went on to win a tight game 3-2. Shane Gaunt’s first-half brace was cancelled out by Mike Hall and Jacob Scott, before Adam Horner settled the tie.

Farsley Celtic outclassed third tier St Bede’s 7-0 thanks to a Louis Surtees treble and doubles courtesy of Joe Firth and Danny Lyons, while Leeds City Old Boys rolled over Division Two colleagues Sandal Wanderers, 8-2.

The opening tie of the Marflitt Trophy was won by St Nicholas against Collingham Juniors with efforts either side of half-time from Ryan Brough and Gary Driscoll.

Morley Town have a six-point lead at the top of the Championship after their fourth straight win, an 8-2 thrashing of Wortley. Although Morley’s Chris Pearson managed to have three goals chalked off, team-mates Kevin Mackay (3), Aiden Philip (2), Ryan Hartley, Marc Haley and John Wilmhurst put that right. Promoted side Calverley took another kick in the teeth with a 4-2 loss to Thornesians for whom Luke Haigh, Joe Cook and Chris Wildie, twice, were on target.

Stanningley Old Boys were a tad fortunate to beat Beeston St Anthony’s 2-1. Yousuf Muhammad gave Beeston the lead, an own goal levelled things before Mark Wilson’bagged the winner.

Mount St Mary’s made smart work of threadbare Alwoodley Reserves, a 7-0 win headlined by four goals from Conor Parsons and two from Gordon Talbot. Shire Academics and Leeds Medics Reserves left Adel with a point each from a 2-2 draw.

In Division One, Horsforth St Margaret’s completed an unlikely victory against Dewsbury Rangers with the 4-1 scoreline barely telling half of the story.

A red card with 15 minutes to go changed things in the favour of Horsforth who, as the side down to 10 men, scored three times in the last 10 minutes, through Josh Broadley and Jake Williams, to triumph.

After having moved pitch with their original surface half-covered in road rubble, Leeds Independent took top spot in beating Huddersfield YMCA 2-1 with a Dale Howland brace.

Elsewhere, Farsley Celtic Juniors beat Rothwell 5-0 and Old Batelians defeated Grangefield Reserves 4-3.