West Yorkshire League: Victories keep City on course for double

Tom Fleming shoots for  Pool
Tom Fleming shoots for Pool
Have your say

Leeds City continued to chase their double dream with two wins in a week.

Leeds City continued to chase their double dream with two wins in a week.

They began by booking their place in the final of the West Riding County FA Challenge Cup, with a thumping 5-1 away win against Beeston St Anthony’s.

Leeds were in cruise control by half-time, with Mitchell Cameron, James Hochstrasser and Adam Dutson all striking before the interval, giving them what proved to be an unassailable lead.

Alex McGurk and Alex Miller struck late on in the semi-final to cap off an emphatic victory.

Leeds dusted themselves down and returned to action just two days later, this time winning 4-2 at home Brighouse Old Boys.

This time Miller grabbed a brace, and his efforts were complemented by goals from Steven Tierney and Hochstrasser, despite the best efforts of Brighouse’s Alex Hallam, who also scored twice.

Field kept their place at the top of the Premier Division with a 4-1 win at home to Hunslet Club. Horbury Town snatched a 2-0 win away to bottom team Ripon City with strikes from Gibril Bojang and Marc Keane.

Bardsey picked up three points with a 3-1 victory over Oxenhope Recreation whilst Beeston St Anthony’s failed to win for the second time in a week, as they were held to a 3-3 home draw by third-bottom East End Park. Lee Coleman, Sean Jeavons and Daniel Thackray all netted for the hosts, but Liam Clark, Joshua Knaggs and Gary Thomas ensured a valiant away performance was rewarded with a share of the spoils.

Wetherby Athletic took all the points from their trip to Otley Town, with Jonathan Hadley and Robert Stephenson sealing a 2-0 win.

Robin Hood Athletic and Boroughbridge played out a 2-2 draw, with Daniel Bridges and Graham Marchant scoring for the hosts, and Ross Mardon and Paul Scaife for the visitors.

In Division One, Pool picked up three more points to maintain their massive lead at the top of the division, despite being reduced to 10 men.

Goals from Steven Preston and Matty White gave Pool the invaluable victory. Wyke Wanderers dispatched Old Modernians 3-0, with Ian Horrocks grabbing a brace and Ben Bodle also netting.

Carlton Athletic put five past Kippax with a triumphant 5-1 win away from home. Luke Oldroyd earned himself the match ball with a fine hat-trick, while Reece Fennell and Thomas Greaves also scored. Thornhill fell 2-1 away to Whitkirk Wanderers, with a goal from Lee Brook proving insufficient. Ilkley Town were battered 4-1 by mid-table Featherstone Colliery. Stanley United fell 3-2 at home to Swillington Saints. Stephen Bettley and Dean Powell scored for the hosts but Jamie Davies, Jamie Scott and Adam Wood gave the Saints all three points. Headingley picked up a win with a 2-1 victory at home to Altofts, with Timothy Curtis and Nick Gledhill the scorers. Aberford Albion beat Howden Clough 3-0 away. In Division Two, Sherburn White Rose beat Normanton Woodhouse Hill 4-2. Mount St Mary’s thumped Ossett Common Rovers 6-0 at home, with Jordan Talbot and Alex McDonald picking up braces, and Callum Woodhouse and Lewis Coyle also striking. Baildon Trinity Athletic grabbed a 4-0 victory away at Barwick, with Ben Craven netting a hat-trick.