Walton is spot on as Lions make their point

Simon Walton
Simon Walton
Have your say

Guiseley and Chester could not be separated as the sides drew 1-1 in the National League at Nethermoor Park.

Guiseley and Chester could not be separated as the sides drew 1-1 in the National League at Nethermoor Park.

Former Stoke man James Alabi opened the scoring with a real moment of magic for seventh-placed Chester when he produced an overhead kick from just inside the penalty area that beat Guiseley keeper Jonny Maxted.

Guiseley midfielder Simon Walton then brought the scores level with a penalty, leaving the Lions third-bottom in the table. Both sides entered the match after being unbeaten during the previous week of matches, so confidence was high for the teams.

The home side started brightly with Will Hatfield heading over after good work by Danny Lowe.

The next chance fell to Ash Palmer after Chester half-cleared a corner with Palmer able to half-volley an effort towards goal but Alex Lynch made an easy save.

Despite the visitors having Elliott Durrell and Kane Richards running the wings, they were being stopped by the hosts’ defence.

Alabi, though, had other ideas and when a cross fell behind him, he superbly adjusted his body and his overhead kick went into the bottom right hand corner.

Guiseley started brightly in the second half and were handed a route back into the game when Connor Brown was brought down by Jonny Hunt.

Walton made no mistake with a calm finish from the spot.

A ball over the top then nearly led to Guiseley taking the lead, when Lynch came out of his area to head clear and the ball fell to Alex Purver but his effort was cleared off the line by Blaine Hudson.

Jake Cassidy then forced Lynch into a fine save after 89 minutes before Jordan Chapell almost nicked a win for Chester on the break but he fired wide.

Guiseley manager Adam Lockwood said afterwards: “I’m pleased with the tempo we played at. We could have done better at times but we needed to perform like we did.

“It’s a case that, I’m happy with the starting 11 and they are reacting well to what is happening.

“At the end of the season we could see this as a big point.”

York City are now bottom after losing 1-0 at Tranmere Rovers as North Ferriby United climbed to second bottom with a 1-0 success at home to Gateshead. In National League North, Harrogate Town climbed to tenth with a 2-1 victory at home to 14th-placed AFC Telford United. But third-bottom Bradford Avenue lost 3-1 at home to second-placed Kidderminster Harriers. FC Halifax Town were in FA Cup action at Eastleigh yesterday and will be in the hat for the third round draw after a 3-3 tie.


Ossett Town climbed to third in the EvoStik League’s First Division North after Saturday’s 2-0 success at home to mid-table Kendal Town.

After a goalless first half, Danny Frost warmed Town with a 51st-minute opener and the lead was then doubled eight minutes later by Tyrone Gay.

Town are only two points off top spot which is occupied by Scarborough Athletic who won 2-0 at fourth-bottom Prescot Cables. Jameel Ible and Cameron Murray netted one each for the visitors.

Farsley Celtic dropped to sixth after a 1-0 loss at home to Trafford who leapfrogged them into fifth. Nathan Turner’s 43rd-minute own goal proved the difference.

Brighouse Town are down to seventh after a 2-2 draw at home to fourth-placed Glossop North End. Brighouse led 2-0 through goals from Devonte Morton and Jack Stockdill but Glossop fought back through Benjamin Richardson and Sam Barnes.

Tadcaster Albion are 13th after losing 3-1 at eighth-placed Clitheroe, despite leading after six minutes through Carl Stewart. Clitheroe were then 2-1 up after 19 minutes through goals from Dimitri Tuanzebe and Daniel Brady and Tuanzebe went on to complete a brace.

Third-bottom Ossett Albion enjoyed a last-gasp 2-1 triumph at 11th-placed Colne. Rikki Paylor notched an 86th-minute winner for Albion after Adam Muller’s 53rd-minute strike had been cancelled out by a Mark Ayres penalty two minutes after the hour.

Second-bottom Goole AFC saw off ninth-placed visitors Colwyn Bay 3-1 through a double from Nathan Modest plus a Bonny Johnson strike.

In the Premier, fifth-bottom Frickley Athletic were defeated 3-0 by sixth-placed visitors Warrington Town while Whitby Town dropped to third after being chinned 1-0 at new leaders Rushall Olympic who bagged an 89th-minute winner.


PICKERING Town stormed to third place in the NCE League Premier Division with Saturday’s 5-1 success at second-bottom Armthorpe Welfare.

Strikes from Ryan Cooper and Ryan Blott gave Pickering a 2-0 lead at the break, with George Bissett, Billy Logan and Jules Gabbiadini then all adding a goal apiece in the second half. With Armthorpe 5-0 down, Craig Aspinall netted a 78th-minute consolation.

Pickering jumped above Bridlington Town who dropped to fourth after a 4-2 loss at home to eighth-placed Hemsworth Miners Welfare. Brid’ raced into a 2-0 lead through a Brett Agnew penalty and William Waudby strike but Hemsworth came roaring back through strikes from Nicholas Guest and Jed Wilkinson, either side of a Bill Law double.

Seventh-placed Liversedge were felled 4-1 by visiting Handsworth Parramore who sit fifth. Liversedge took a second-minute lead through Stephen Wales but were undone by a Jon Froggatt double plus goals from Aaron Moxam and Connor Smythe.

Harrogate Railway climbed a place to 17th after blitzing fourth-bottom visitors Retford United 5-0. Rail’s Chris Ovington, Jordan Hendrie, Stephen Bromley, David Brown and Lewis Riley all netted a goal apiece.

AFC Emley moved top of Division One with a 5-0 success at home to second bottom Westella & Willerby with all five goals scored ion the second half. Ashley Flynn’s double was supported by strikes from Kieran Ryan, Jordan Coduri and Thomas Brennan.

Third-placed Pontefract Collieries saw off 11th-placed visitors Selby Town 4-1. Selby led through Craig Tonkinson but were sunk by a Christopher Wood brace including one penalty, plus goals from Kane Reece and Jordan Turner.

Knaresborough Town slipped to eighth after losing 4-3 at Hall Road Rangers with a Colin Heath double and Harry Brown strike not enough for a point.

A William Grogan brace was also in vain for bottom club Nostell Miners Welfare who lost 3-2 at home to seventh-placed Campion.

Yorkshire Amateur, who are 17th, drew 2-2 at third-bottom Rossington Main thanks to an Adam Shaw brace.