Unbeaten Stanley are adapting well

Brad Chambers powers home a header to score for Leeds Medics and Dentists against Wigton Moor in the Yorkshire Amateur League.
Brad Chambers powers home a header to score for Leeds Medics and Dentists against Wigton Moor in the Yorkshire Amateur League.
Have your say

The tussle at the top of the Premier Division continues as Stanley United and Farsley Celtic battled for a 1-1 draw from a see-saw encounter at Rothwell Sports Club.

Stanley haven’t been beaten since their move from the West Yorkshire League and, alongside Alwoodley, hold games in hand – potential trump cards in the title race.

“We were expecting a tough game after our last performance against Leeds Medics, which was terrible,” Stanley club secretary Andrew Eaton said.

“In the end we were disappointed not to win the game with the chances we had.

“We could have been two or three up in 20 minutes but in the second half they came into it with a strong midfield.

“It was a deserved draw all in all and we’ve got a couple of tough games coming up starting with next week against Stanningley who have picked up quite a bit.”

Stanley deservedly took the lead in a first half they dominated through new signing Leroy Watson, off the mark in his second game for the club.

After the perhaps unwise concession of a free-kick in a good position in the 70th minute, the ball fell to Danny Lyons who took his tally for the season to double figures with an emphatic finish.

Leeds Medics kept hold of top spot with a 4-0 win against lowly Wigton Moor at Weetwood that was not as routine as many expect.

Wigton, who have lost eight of their nine league games, kept the leaders at bay for an hour with some gritty defensive play.

Substitute James Garraghty finally broke through with a low, well-struck shot that nestled in the corner from 18 yards but his next act in the game was to hobble off with a hamstring injury sustained in the act of shooting.

Brad Chambers, Niall Robinson and Rishi Dhand finished the job their team-mates started.

Ealandians have gone somewhat under the radar but caught the eye as they dispatched a sorry Trinity & All Saints 9-0 at Elland Cricket Club.

Wayne Crossley and Tom Creedie both scored hat-tricks but man of the match went to Martin Coldwell, who also notched alongside Colin Schofield.

Several top flight sides played in the invitational Yorkshire Old Boys Shield and there were two casualties to at the hands of teams from the Teesside league.

Stanningley’s recent improvement did not bear out in their 4-2 extra-time defeat to Redcar Newmarket.

Goals from Matt Geraghty and Adam Pulford took the tie to extra-time at 2-2 only for two defensive lapses to cost their side. Jimmy Harrop made it 4-3 in the second period of extra-time but the game was gone.

St Mary’s Yarm beat St Nicholas 4-2 despite Tom Rawlings’ double, a 3-1 lead at the break proved too much to overhaul.

There was no slip up from Grangefield Old Boys who powered past Division Three side Leeds Modernians 10-3, despite the visitors refusing to give in and getting on the scoresheet through Stu Astall and Alan Fowler, twice.

Beeston Juniors also negotiated a potential tricky tie against Division Three opposition, beating East Ardsley Wanderers 8-1. To George Lazaro’s hat-trick was added a double from Ryan Dawson and further Brad Lloyd, Andy Mitchell and Carlton Binks strikes.

Farnley Sports are developing into an impressive side and they defeated second tier Shire Academics 2-1 with goals from Joe Cryer in the 35th minute and Adam Horner in the 72nd, despite Ashley Crooks’ dismissal.

In the Championship, league leaders Collingham Juniors were beaten 5-4 by Beeston St Anthony’s in a terrific game at Harewood Road.

Beeston led 4-1 at the break and totally outplayed their hosts; Tony Garth got two and completed his a treble in the second half, while Nathan Floyd and Lee Nutton were both on target before half-time.

The visitors took their foot off the gas at 5-1 and Collingham took advantage with braces from Jordan Riley and Paul Metcalfe.

Alwoodley’s first team weren’t in action so their bolstered second string sealed a rare win, beating Leeds Medics Reserves 3-1 with two from Callum Armstrong and one for Ben Walker.

A Chris Thompson goal 12 minutes from time was enough for Mount St Mary’s to get past Thornesians while Worley put four past Calverley United without reply.

Morley Town secured their passage into the next round of the Shield with a 4-3 defeat of Churwell Lions. Their goals came from Javan Kioseff, Matthew Agar, Rob Gumbley and Mark Haley from the penalty spot.