Ten-man Guiseley AFC forced into a corner

Gavin Rothery.
Gavin Rothery.
Have your say

Ten-men Guiseley AFC were unable to avenge the 2011 play-off final defeat as AFC Telford fought back from 2-1 down at New Bucks Head to win 4-2 on Saturday.

First-half substitute Danny Ellis was sent off for two yellow cards as the visitors were unable to hold on to their lead and succumbed to their second defeat in five days.

Telford drew first blood when Mike Grogan tucked away Tony Gray’s flick past ’keeper Steve Dickinson on 17 minutes.

But Guiseley then levelled when Adam Boyes scored his first Guiseley goal on the stroke of half-time.

It got better for the visitors who then took a 66th-minute lead when Wayne Brooksby was brought down in the box by Telford’s goalkeeper Ryan Young before Gavin Rothery slotted home from the penalty spot.

But Telford fought back with just over 15 minutes remaining as Ellis received his marching orders for his second booking after bringing down Mike Phenix.

Phenix and Telford made the most of ten-men Guiseley and the winger duly converted before Shaun Whalley and Simon Grand also got in on the act as AFC Telford secured all three points. Lions’ manager Mark Bower felt his side had their backs up against the wall.

He said: “I’ve just never seen a last 25 minutes of a game where we’ve had so few in terms of decisions and it just seemed to follow on the fact that we’d been given a penalty and everything after that went against us.

“You come away from home, you’re against the elements, you’re down to ten men, you at least expect to get a fair amount of decisions and we never got anything, added together with the quality they have got, we just couldn’t hold out for long enough. We weren’t just ten against 11, it just seemed more than that.”

Tenth-placed Guiseley are back in league 0action at home to Worcester City on Saturday.

Elsewhere at the weekend, Bradford Park Avenue’s hosting of Vauxhall Motors was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch with Harrogate Town’s trip to Colwyn Bay going the same away.

In Skrill Premier, FC Halifax Town’s play-off push was dealt a blow with a 3-1 loss at Lincoln City whose Ben Tomlinson bagged a hat-trick. Ryan Crowther netted for the Shaymen who were 2-0 down at the time.

In the EvoStik League, Frickley Athletic enjoyed a 2-0 success at Stafford Rangers in the Premier. Gavin Allott gave the Blues a 37th-minute lead which was extended by Fernando Moke ten minutes into the second half. Whitby Town’s hosting of Kings Lynn Town was postponed.

In First Division North, Ossett Town recorded a fine 2-0 win at title-chasing Curzon Ashton.

Both goals came from Stephen Wakefield who struck after 53 and 59 minutes.

Farsley AFC had to settle for a 2-2 draw at home to Northwich Victoria. Lee Ellington gave Farsley a 13th-minute lead but goals from Thomas Morgan and Paddy Miller had Northwich 2-1 up at the break. Adam Priestley bagged Farsley a point with his leveller 19 minutes from time.

Harrogate Railway’s hosting of Burscough, Wakefield’s home clash with Clitheroe and Ossett Albion’s welcoming of Radcliffe Borough were all postponed.

In First Division South, Goole AFC lost out 1-0 at Coalville Town whose Andrew Hutchinson hit a 58th-minute winner. Scarborough Athletic also lost 2-1 at Sutton Coldfield Town with a Gary Bradshaw strike proving only a consolation. The hosts race into a 2-0 lead through Joel Kettle and Gary Hay.

Grimsby Town manager Marcus Bignot shouts instructions during his time as Grimsby Town manager. Picture: Getty Images

Guiseley announce new management team