Struggles continue for winless Guiseley

Joe Colbeck
Joe Colbeck
Have your say

Guiseley remain winless this season and bottom of the National League table after a 1-0 loss away to Sutton United.

Guiseley remain winless this season and bottom of the National League table after a 1-0 loss away to Sutton United.

The home side nearly took the lead early on when Chris Dickson was found in the area but his header, which was on target, was pushed away by Johnny Maxted who did well to clear the ball away from danger.

It was a long trip to Sutton for Guiseley but they had their first real opportunity when the ball fell to Leeds United loanee Alex Purver. He worked some room for himself but the hosts’ keeper, Ross Worner, was able to get his body in the way.

Guiseley soon found themselves a goal down, when debutant Connor Brown deflected an attempted cross into his own net. The full-back joined the Lions last week after spells at Sheffield United and Oldham Athletic.

The second half nearly started with Guiseley conceding again, this time Roarie Deacon firing a shot from just outside the penalty area, but it went narrowly wide of the net.

The away side nearly got the equaliser when a good run by Jordan Preston saw him release an effort from 30 yards out. The shot had plenty of pace and it took an acrobatic save by Worner to keep the shot out.

Guiseley kept the pressure up, a free-kick led to a goalmouth scramble, but eventually the goalkeeper bravely claimed the ball.

Late on Guiseley had two chances to claim a share of the spoils but just could not convert them. First substitute Michael Rankine saw his effort go just wide, then Preston over-hit a shot from just six yards out.

Meanwhile, in the FA Cup third qualifying round, Joe Colbeck’s 96th-minute equaliser earned Harrogate Town a 3-3 draw with FC United of Manchester at Broadhurst Park.

JP Pittman’s 11th goal of the season had Town ahead after 20 minutes, but the hosts soon turned the tie on its head with goals from Dale Johnson and Harry Winter either side of half-time.

George Thomson looked to have put FC United’s name firmly in the hat for the next round when he curled home a free-kick in the 64th minute to make it 3-1, but Town were far from beaten.

Substitute Andy Gascoigne headed home Joe Leesley’s corner with just over ten minutes to go before Colbeck smashed home Pittman’s pass at the back post in the sixth minute of added time.

The replay will take place at the CNG Stadium tomorrow, kick-off 7.45pm.

Elsewhere, FC Halifax Town beat Stalybridge 2-1 to reach the fourth qualifying round but made hard work of their victory at The Shay.

Josh Wilde volleyed Town into the lead from 12 yards on 23 minutes.

But Stalybridge levelled with their first effort on target when ex-Town loanee Keil O’Brien headed in a free-kick from the left touchline.

With 13 minutes to go, Jordan Sinnott’s dinked free-kick was met with a low header by Danny Hone at the back post to win the game for Town.

Farsley Celtic’s excellent run in the FA Cup was brought to an end with a 1-0 defeat at home to Bishop Auckland.

Celtic enjoyed plenty of possession but could not convert that into clear-cut chances and Priestly Griffiths’ 36th-minute goal proved to be the difference between the sides.


Liversedge stayed top of the Premier Division thanks to a 1-0 win at struggling Parkgate.

Stephen Wales got the decisive goal on 52 minutes to keep Sedge’s noses in front of Cleethorpes Town and Bradford sides Thackley and Albion Sports.

Thackley beat struggling Harrogate Railway Athletic 2-1, thanks to a brace of first-half goals from Benjamin Joyce (11 and 27). Gregg Kidd (52) replied for Rail, who are third from bottom but have games in hand on their rivals.

Albion went down 1-0 at Clipstone, but Garforth Town climbed to 15th, thanks to a fine 3-0 win at Barton Old Boys.

Casey Stewart (28), Jacob Rose (41) and an 83rd-minute Lee Turner penalty earned Town the three points.

In Division 1, Christopher Wood’s hat-trick put Pontefract Collieries on the road to a 6-1 win at Brigg Town.

Wood struck in the 36th minute from the penalty spot and added two more on 44 and 72, Christopher Jackson (60 and 79) and Michael Dunn (83), completed the rout.

Knaresborough Town climbed up to second, level on points with leaders Penistone Church, after a 4-1 home success against Grimsby Borough. Tom Hesketh’s 45th-minute penalty set Town on their way, with Connor Donaghue (48), Blaine Hobson (64) and Fraser Lancaster (90) on target in the second half.

Selby Town are up to ninth after Jason Crisp’s 35th-minute effort earned them victory over visiting Winterton Rangers.

Eli Hey’s hat-trick earned Campion a 3-2 home win over AFC Emley, who replied through Ashley Flynn (13) and Aaron Joseph (26).

Glasshoughton Welfare claimed local bragging rights as three goals in nine second-half minutes saw them defeat Nostell Miners Welfare 3-0.

Nathan Keightley broke the deadlock on 65 minutes, with Andrew McManus (69) and Adam Hayton (74) completing the job. Yorkshire Amateur lost 3-2 at home to Eccleshill United – who snatched all three points in the 90th minute thanks to Sam Bradley.

Bradley had given United and eighth-minute lead, Joe Stead’s own goal levelled things, Marcus Edwards netted for Eccleshill before Ammers drew level again from the penalty spot, before Bradley’s late effort.


Brighouse Town moved three points clear of Farsley in First Division North after a 1-1 home draw with Mossley.

With Celtic playing in the FA Cup, Ruben Jerome got Town off to a flying start with a sixth-minute goal, but Kyle McGonigle levelled eight minutes before half-time.

It was a case of as you were after the big game of the day in the division saw third-placed Bamber Bridge draw 0-0 at home to visiting Tadcaster Albion, who stay fourth.

Late goals from Danny Frost (75) and Devonte Morton (80) made mid-table Ossett Town’s long journey back from Colwyn Bay all the more enjoyable, but Ossett’s cross-town rivals Albion are still without a home win after going down 4-2 to Kendal Town. Gibril Bojang (69 and 80) got both Albion’s goals, but they drop to second-bottom after fellow strugglers Goole AFC beat rock-bottom side Burscough 4-1.

David Taylor (19), Curtly Martin-Wyatt (pen, 23) Lewis Dennison (50) and Ombeni Ruhanduka (90) netting for Goole.

Scarborough Athletic twice led at Droylsden but had to settle for a point from a 2-2 draw.

Benny Inglehom (32) and David Brown (50) were on target for the visitors.

In First Division South, Shaw Lane kept up the pressure on leaders Spalding, who were held to a 1-1 draw at Chasetown, with a 2-1 home success against Carlton Town.

Daniel Gordon (26) gave Town the lead, but Alex Byrne (55) and Kieran Lugsden (65) earned Shaw the spoils.

Sheffield FC are third-bottom after a 2-1 home defeat by Newcastle Town, Patrick Lindley (57) on target for Sheffield, who were undone by Hafeez Hamzat’s 66th-minute own goal.

Stocksbridge Park Steels inflicted Romulus’ first home defeat of the season as Joe Lumsden’s 42nd-minute goal earned them the points. Steels are seventh, five points adrift of third.