St Ledger frustrated at Guiseley stalemate

Action from Guiseley v Maidstone United. Picture: Alex Daniel.
Action from Guiseley v Maidstone United. Picture: Alex Daniel.
Have your say

RELEGATIOn-THREATENED Guiseley could only manage a goalless draw with Maidstone United in the National League yesterday.

Guiseley headed into this game 12 points off safety while Maidstone were on a three-game losing run, so it was an important match for both sides in their battle to stay up.

Action from Guiseley v Maidstone United. Picture: Alex Daniel.

Action from Guiseley v Maidstone United. Picture: Alex Daniel.

Maidstone should have taken the lead early on when a cross by Alex Finney found Michael Phillips who saw his effort saved, the effort rebounded off Joe Green and somehow it past three visiting players who couldn’t make contact.

On the stroke of half-time the hosts saw Dayle Southwell have an effort fly just past the post, when a free-kick was nodded onto the striker. He took a touch but his shot was inches off target.

Guiseley started the second-half as they ended the first with a good chance, when a ball over the top found Kayode Odejayi who used his strength to beat the last defender, but Stones keeper Lee Worgan did well to make the save.

The game was turning into an end-to-end affair with Blair Turgott being found in the area for Maidstone but his header from nine yards, hit the crossbar with Guiseley keeper Joe Green getting a slight touch to divert it away from goal.

With minutes to go, a long ball forward found Rowan Liburd, he worked his way into the area but with the angle against him, his effort went across the face of goal and wide.

Maidstone’s Joe Anderson would have the final chance, when his effort from 25 yards out crashed against the top of the bar.

Guiseley’s interim manager Sean St Ledger said: “I think it was a fair point, we and they had chances. It was a bit disappointing that we didn’t start well, we then got going.

“The effort was there from the players and that is the minimum I expect, we just have to keep going now.”

Originally formed in 1914, Harrogate Town had never been league equals to York City prior to this season, but have now taken six points from a possible six off their North Yorkshire rivals.

Second-half goals from Jake Wright and Mark Beck saw National North title-hopefuls Harrogate match their 2-0 victory at Wetherby Road back in September.

The Minstermen, meanwhile, are now clinging on to the final play-off place, with Chorley now just two points behind them with a game in hand.

An even first half saw the best chance fall to the visitors as Adam Bartlett saved smartly to deny ex-York and Sheffield United striker Wright, before Joe Leesley fired over an empty goal.

Wright made no mistake on 51 minutes, though, bursting through the right channel and blasting a low shot across Bartlett’s goal into the bottom corner.

Sean Newton went on to head against the bar for York, before unmarked substitute Beck settled matters midway through the second period when he headed in a Leesley free-kick.

Bradford Park Avenue, meanwhile, defeated relegation-threatened Leamington after recalled striker Adam Boyes scored the game’s only goal in its opening minute, following up after Jamie Spencer’s long-range attempt had been tipped on to a post by Tony Breeden.

Mark Ross went on to skim the crossbar for Avenue, who survived scares when Junior English saw a header disallowed for offside and Steven Drench saved a Matt Dodd penalty.