Savory nets late leveller to salvage a point for Farsley AFC

Match action from Farsley AFC v Ossett Town.
Match action from Farsley AFC v Ossett Town.
Have your say

FARSLEY afc were left thankful to Aiden Savory for bagging a late leveller in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at home to Ossett Town in First Division North.

Play-off chasing Town sit five places lower down the pecking order but took a 70th-minute through James Eyles.

But Farsley – who could yet achieve automatic promotion – levelled five minutes from time through Savory to take a share of the spoils.

Farsley sit third and only three points behind the leaders Curzon Ashton though Curzon have four games in hand. Town are eighth – seven points off the play-offs.

Elsewhere, Harrogate Railway enjoyed an entertaining 3-2 success at home to Clitheroe. Mid-table Rail’ fell 1-0 behind when Paul Coote struck after just four minutes for Clitheroe who arrived sat just above their hosts in the table.

But Rail’ levelled six minutes before the interval through Nathan Cartman and the hosts then went 2-1 up seven minutes after the break. Colin Hunter’s 52nd-minute spot kick put the Station View outfit ahead and Hunter then bagged his second and Rail’s third 21 minutes later. Ross Dent pulled a goal back for the visitors on 90 minutes but the damage was done, allowing Rail’ to leapfrog their opponents into 11th.

Ossett Albion, though, came out on the wrong end of a 3-2 scoreline at home to promotion-chasing Darlington 1883. Albion – bottom of the table – took a sixth-minute lead through Darol Lucas but two goals shortly after half-time but Darlington in front.

Alan White and David Dowson were their goal-getters and the points were made safe by Nathan Fisher’s effort four minutes from time. Tyrone Gay then netted a last-minute home consolation.

Wakefield also failed to make any headway in their fight against relegation as they were undone 4-2 at Cammell Laird for whom Craig Cairns bagged a hat-trick. Richard Foulkes put the hosts ahead after 44 minutes with Cairns then getting his first four minutes after the break. Wakefield threatened a comeback as James Morris hit home but two more goals from Cairns either side of a late Harrison Blakey strike quelled the away side’s resistance.

In the Premier, Frickley Athletic were thumped 4-1 at Trafford. By the time Jake Picton bagged a late Frickley goal, Trafford led 4-0 through a Michael Oates brace plus goals from Martyn Andrews and Shelton Payne.

Whitby Town, though, enjoyed a 3-2 beating of visiting FC United in front of an 818 gate. A Graeme Armstrong brace and Steven Snaith strike gave them victory.

In First Division South, Goole AFC were undone 5-1 at Beper Town despite an away Daniel King Bisingu strike. Scarborough Athletic’s trip to Bedworth United was called off to a waterlogged pitch.

Luke Parkin.

Parkin’s late brace seals dominant Farsley Celtic victory