Rival managers happy with point as derby ends in draw

Gavin Rothery
Gavin Rothery
Have your say

HARROGATE Town and Guiseley shared a Boxing Day stalemate in a goalless draw at the CNG Stadium on Wetherby Road.

The opening of the match saw both teams show plenty of attacking intent with former Guiseley striker James Walshaw hitting a free-kick which forced the Guiseley goalkeeper into making a good save.

Oli Johnson then produced a quick run and beat three Town players, but his pass to Gavin Rothery led to the latter seeing his shot deflected wide.

Walshaw then had an effort for Town which was well blocked by Andy Holdsworth.

Then, just before half-time, Adam Boyes caused havoc in the Town box but Phil Barnes eventually got his hand to the ball, to ensure the score was goalless at the break.

The second half was very much like the first in terms of the high levels of commitment shown by both sides, but there were a lack of clear chances.

Guiseley nearly took the lead when Boyes passed across the face of the goal from a free-kick but Ben Parker, who had run in, was unable to make the necessary contact.

Harrogate, meanwhile, moved the ball forward well but failed to create in the final third, with Adam Nowakowski failing to control the ball in the area.

The game ended goalless and the two sides will now meet again at Nethermoor Park on New Year’s Day.

Before that third-placed Guiseley will host AFC Fylde on Sunday with Lions manager Mark Bower now fully focussed on that clash.

“We did have chances but it’s a point.

“We now move onto Fylde,” said Bower.

Harrogate Town manager Simon Weaver was pleased with the point and said: “It was a competitive match, where we had chances. I feel it was a fair result.”

Harrogate Town remain in 14th. Town have also been boosted by the arrival of Alfreton Town’s striker Paul Clayton on loan.

Clayton, 30, has joined on a month’s loan having scored over 100 times for Alfreton.

Elsewhere, Bradford Park Avenue slipped into the dropzone with a 2-1 loss at Chorley yesterday.

Avenue led at half-time thanks to Chib Chilaka’s goal after 23 minutes, but Chorley’s Josh Hine struck twice in the second period to send the visitors home with nothing.

Avenue now sit third-bottom return to action tomorrow at home to ninth-placed Stockport.

In the Conference yesterday, ninth-placed Gateshead fought back from being 2-0 down to deny FC Halifax Town victory in a 2-2 draw at The Shay.

Lois Maynard headed the Shaymen in front after just 10 minutes but John Oster then met a Valentin Gjokaj cross to level matters just two minutes later.

Maynard then put Halifax back in front 13 minutes later with a fine 30-yard half volley but Gateshead again fought back, this time with Danny Wright’s penalty six minutes before the interval.

Halifax have now slipped to seventh and return to action tomorrow at home to 16th-placed Chester.