Preston at the double as Guiseley claim key victory

Jordan Preston.
Jordan Preston.
Have your say

JORDAN Preston’s two goals earned Guiseley a priceless 2-1 victory at second-placed Dagenham and Redbridge in the National League on Saturday.

The Lions started well with Derek Asamoah firing a cross past the face of goal. They kept their pressure up and soon took the lead when Jordan Preston curled an effort into the top corner. This sent the away fans into a frenzy and things soon got even better.

Adam Lockwood.

Adam Lockwood.

Just a minute later Dagenham’s Corey Whitely was sent off after an altercation with Connor Brown.

Guiseley used this to their advantage and were unlucky not to have doubled their lead just before half-time when Will Hatfield was superbly denied by Elliot Justham.

With moments to go until half-time it looked like Dagenham would draw level when Danny Lowe was adjudged to have handled in the area but Jonny Maxted guessed correctly with the penalty and made a fine save.

After half-time Preston grabbed his second goal when he cut inside and powered an effort past the home side keeper.

The Lions looked comfortable at 2-0 until added time when Oliver Hawkins was found in the area and scored with a tap in to cause a nervy last few minutes.

The result means Guiseley sit two places and two points above the relegation zone ahead of a crucial game against basement side North Ferriby United next week.

Guiseley boss Adam Lockwood was delighted with his team’s efforts. He said: “It’s a tough league, Dagenham are a good side. We’ve concentrated on ourselves and at times we were outstanding.

“I’ve talked about it being a squad game, I thought Jordan Preston was brilliant. He’s proven what he adds to the squad.”

In National North, Harrogate Town failed to extend their recent winning run as they played out a goalless draw at Altrincham.

In a contest of very few chances, the best opening fell to Luke Shiels 15 minutes before time only for Tim Deasy to keep out the centre-back’s header with his feet.

Town thought they had broken the deadlock when Danny Ellis’ 30-yard strike forced another fine save, and Simon Ainge also had appeals for a first half penalty turned down, but Town were ultimately made to settle for a point.

Goals from Matty Kosyolo and Tom Denton made it six wins out of seven for FC Halifax Town as they beat 10-man Worcester City 2-1.

The victory moved Town into the National North play-off places at the expense of Stockport County.

Elsewhere, Bradford Park Avenue moved out of the relegation zone with a excellent 2-1 win at fellow strugglers Nuneaton Town.

Avenue’s goals came from Shane Killock – his first goal for the club – and from Oli Johnson.


FRICKLEY ATHLETIC boosted their survival hopes with a 1-0 home victory over Rushall Olympic in the Premier Division on Saturday.

Adam Priestley scored the winning goal for Athletic in the 17th minute. The result moves Frickley level on points with fifth-from-bottom Corby Town, but the Yorkshire side have two games in hand on their relegation rivals.

A brace from James Walshaw helped second-placed Farsley Celtic ease to a 3-1 victory at Clitheroe in Division One North. Ryan Watson scored Celtic’s other goal. Farsley are still nine points behind leaders Lancaster City with three games in hand after City defeated Scarborough Athletic 2-0.

Fourth-placed Ossett Town suffered a setback when they lost 2-1 at fifth-placed Colne. Nathan Curtis netted Town’s only goal in the 90th minute.

Tenth-placed Brighouse Town had to settle for a 1-1 home draw with Burscough.

Adam Baker gave the home side the lead in the 19th minute but Adam Gilchrist equalised for Burscough with 14 minutes to go.

Tadcaster Albion made the long trek to Colwyn Bay and came away with a point following a goalless draw.

Ossett Albion eased their relegation worries with a 3-0 home victory over Prescot Cables.

Robert Bordman opened the scoring in the 10th minute before Ross Hardaker made it 2-0 before half-time. Bordman made sure of victory by netting his second from the penalty spot.


PICKERING TOWN moved to within two points of Premier Division leaders Cleethorpes Town thanks to their 3-1 home victory over Clipstone on Saturday.

Paul Marshall’s men had to overcome an early setback when Gareth Curtis gave the visitors the lead on the half-hour mark but second-half goals from Joseph Danby, Nathan Kamara and Lewis Taylor (pen) ensured Pickering took advantage of Cleethorpes not being involved in league action.

Garforth Town moved to within a point of Liversedge after beating their Yorkshire rivals 2-0.

Sean Hunter gave Town the lead on 70 minutes before Mark Simpson made sure of the victory with a goal in the 90th minute.

Mid-table Hemsworth Miners Welfare slipped to a 2-1 defeat Bottesford Town.

Joshua Nichol and Daniel Boulton gave Bottesford a 2-0 lead before Andrew Hayward grabbed a late consolation for Hemsworth.

Harrogate Railway Athletic fell to a 3-2 home defeat against lowly Barton Town Old Boys.

David Brown gave Railway a 24th-minute lead but that was as good as it got for the home side as Jonathan Hadley, Edward Rogerson and Thomas Waudby all found the net for Barton. Player/manager Paul Beesley got Rail’s other goal.

In Division One, leaders Pontefract Collieries moved three points clear of AFC Emley thanks to a 1-0 victory at Grimsby Borough.

Jamie Williams netted the all-important goal just before half-time.

Second-placed AFC Emley could only manage a goalless draw at home to fourth-placed Hall Road Rangers.

Knaresborough Town were on the wrong end of a 4-1 scoreline at Hallam. Fraser Lancaster scored Town’s only goal.

Glasshoughton Welfare had an afternoon to remember with a 6-2 triumph against Shirebrook Town.

Both Josh Morley and Oliver Maude netted braces with Ryan Poskitt and Conor Glavin scoring the other goals.

There was also an excellent win for basement side Nostell Miners Welfare who defeated Selby Town 1-0, thanks to Luke Robinson’s goal.