Odejayi’s opener proves a false dawn for Guiseley

Kayode Odejayi.
Kayode Odejayi.
Have your say

Managerless Guiseley left Leyton Orient empty handed despite a promising start.

After taking the lead, Guiseley conceded two penalties just before half-time and went on to concede twice more in the second half as they lost 4-1.

Tom Denton.

Tom Denton.

The team had been selected by members of the coaching staff and captain Danny Lowe following the midweek dismissal of Adam Lockwood and assistant Dave Penney.

The game plan of the stand-in ‘committee’ proved effective for large parts of the first half and after the defeat Lowe said: “The attitude of the lads was top class. We had that chance when we went a goal up but to concede two penalties in such a quick fashion affected us.

“It was an honour to take a role in the game and we knew it would be tough, we gave it our all and were just a bit unfortunate with how we lost the opening goals.”

Orient nearly took the lead when goalkeeper Joe Green had a clearance blocked by Macauley Bonne and the ball trickled across the face of goal.

Guiseley’s Lee Molyneux produced a fine effort from 25 yards before they broke forward and a fine well-worked move ended up with Kayode Odejayi having a tap-in for the Lions’ first away goal of the season.

The hosts, though, were back level moments later when a penalty was awarded for handball and Bonne made no mistake.

Then, with the next attack, Orient had another penalty when David Mooney went down easily under a challenge from Marcus Williams and Bonne went the same way with his spot-kick, which had too much power for the goalkeeper.

The second half began like the first with Orient having chances but nothing clear cut. That changed when Matt Harrold scored with a header just a minute after coming on for his debut.

Bonne grabbed his hat-trick when a long ball over the top fell perfectly for him to run onto and score.

Guiseley are hopeful they will be naming their new manager before the game against Eastleigh on Saturday.

Elsewhere in the National League, Tom Denton scored twice as FC Halifax Town came from behind to beat Fylde 2-1 in an entertaining clash at The Shay.

Town conceded their first goal in nearly five-and-a-half hours when Danny Rowe scored at Halifax for the second season running, but Denton turned the game round for Town with a second-half double to make it three wins from four for Billy Heath’s side.

Harrogate Town stayed top of the National League North table after sharing a 1-1 draw with Brackley.

In front of a crowd of 1,081, Harrogate stayed ahead on goal difference from second-placed visitors Brackley, as both teams preserved the only unbeaten records in the division.

Both goals came in the opening 10 minutes with Aaron Williams netting in the third minute after following up a Lee Ndlovu shot that was saved by James Belshaw.

But, despite missing injured top-scorer Simon Ainge, Joe Leesley levelled, having been teed up by George Thompson after Jordan Thewlis crashed an effort against the crossbar.

Improving Bradford Park Avenue have now gone four games without a defeat, having shared the spoils in a goalless draw at Stockport County.

James Knowles hit the post late on for Avenue, who had the better chances to win the game.