Non-League: Steely ten-man Lions too strong for Stockport

Oli Johnson
Oli Johnson
Have your say

GUISELEY produced a marvellous performance as they left Stockport County with a 3-0 victory on Saturday after playing with 10 men for most of the second half.

The result left Guiseley four points behind leaders Barrow who were 2-0 winners at Gainsborough Trinity and still have two games in hand.

Guiseley started the first half with some good attacks and after 10 minutes Nicky Boshell put the away side ahead.

The goal came after great work from Oli Johnson who passed across the face of goal for him to score.

Guiseley could have scored again during the opening 45 minutes with Johnson hitting the post and Gavin Rothery smacking the side netting.

County’s best chance of gaining an equaliser was through a corner which was delivered into the area but the pass found nobody and was eventually cleared by Ryan Toulson.

Guiseley were looking confident at the start of the second-half but they were reduced to 10 men when Shane Killock was sent off for a tackle on Stephen O’Halloran which was a controversial moment as both players were going for a 50-50 ball.

After that decision, Stockport manager Alan Lord pushed for his players to get forward and try to take advantage.

But Guiseley were then able to strike on the break to devastating affect.

First Oli Johnson held the ball up against four County players and after a smart turn he found Adam Boyes who confidently worked his way into the area and struck the second goal.

Then, with the next attack, Adam Boyes was able to hold the ball up on the half-way line.

With County pushing so high up, after that he slipped a through ball to Oli Johnson who ran 20 yards into the area and placed a shot past the keeper.

That goal confirmed that Guiseley would leave with the win and stay second in the Vanarama North table.

Guiseley manager Mark Bower was delighted after seeing his side gain the win and said: “They’ve not lost at home since the first game of the season and for us to put in that performance and that result with 10 men for most of the second half is really pleasing. I think in recent games our performances have been really good.”

The Lions return to league action on Saturday, December 20 at home to 17th-placed Leamington. Before that Guiseley welcome Chorley next Saturday in the FA Trophy first round.

Guiseley’s next league opponents Leamington sit one place above Bradford Park Avenue who took the bragging rights with a 2-0 victory in a local derby at Harrogate Town on Saturday.

Chib Chilaka gave Avenue a sixth-minute lead which was doubled by Danny Frost eight minutes after the interval.

Defeat leaves Town 13th ahead of next Saturday’s eagerly awaited FA Trophy visit to FC United of Manchester.

Town boss Simon Weaver said: “I thought we were very poor. We were confident following results that we could earn a result by passing the ball well through midfield.

“We were clearly second best so therefore I got it wrong with the game plan. I can only apologise to the fans.”

Avenue entertain Farsley AFC in the FA Trophy next Saturday.

In the Conference, FC Halifax Town sit sixth after a 1-0 success at home to ten man Forest Green whose James Norwood missed a penalty and was sent off within three minutes.

Scott Boden bagged the winner after six minutes.

The Shaymen return to action tomorrow evening at tenth-placed Torquay.


TADCASTER Albion stormed into the fourth round of the FA Vase with Saturday’s 4-2 success at St Helens Town.

Albion boss Paul Marshall had said he was confident of progression at St Helens and Tad’ raced into a 3-0 lead after just 21 minutes. Nick Thompson got the ball rolling after nine minutes with Denny Ingram betting 12 minutes later.

Josh Greening then got in on the act after 27 minutes before adding his fourth just after the hour.

Andy Gillespie and Marcus Perry hit back with late goals for the hosts but the damage had been done and the Brewers now await news of today’s draw for the last 32.

AFC Emley are also in rude health and they stayed three points clear at the top of Division One of the NCE League through Saturday’s 3-2 triumph at home to Teversal.

Doran Jordan hit an 88th-minute winner for Emley whose Jordan Townend and Alex Hallam had earlier netted.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare stayed third with a 1-0 win at home to Shirebrook Town achieved through a Nicholas Guest strike seven minutes from time.

Pontefract Collieries slipped to fifth after a 4-2 reverse at Louth Town as away goals from Craig Rouse and Matthew Marsden proved in vain.

Selby Town sit 13th after being downed 2-1 at Clipstone whose Daniel Wood hit a brace to override Matty Start’s second-minute opener.

Eighth-placed Yorkshire Amateur were held to a 3-3 draw at home to second-bottom Dronfield Town,

In the Premier Division, 14th-placed Pickering Town were walloped 6-2 at home to ninth-placed Cleethorpes Town . A Louis Grant hat-trick proved inspirational for the visitors with Billy Logan’s double failing to save the hosts.

Liversedge bagged a last-gasp 1-1 draw at Garforth Town who led after 26 minutes through Sinmi Oyebanji. Tom Jackson hit a last-minute leveller.

Bridlington Town lost 4-1 at Barton Town Old Boys despite a Ombeni Ruhanduka strike.


OSSETT Albion suffered a 3-1 reverse at home to Burscough on Saturday with the visitors racing into the lead after just 37 seconds.

Burscough drew first blood within a minute when a misunderstanding between Wes Milnes and goalkeeper Brett Souter allowed Liam Caddick a simple tap into an empty net. This stirred Albion and they dominated proceedings for the next 20 minutes or so and equalised on 16 minutes through a brilliant header from Adam Muller following an inch perfect cross from Ross Hardaker.

Neither side created any further clear-cut chances and the half ended all square. Albion again got on top in the second half and went close on a couple of occasions.

On 56 minutes, however, they gifted Burscough another goal when Brett Souter allowed a harmless shot from Jordan Williams to slip under his body.

This gave Burscough the initiative and on 58 minutes they were 3-1 up with a goal from Will Jones. Albion were then chasing shadows and it looked more like Burscough would increase their lead than Albion get back on terms.

Elsewhere, Brighouse Town lost out 1-0 at Northwich Victoria whose Michael Clarke hit a 24th-minute winner.

But Harrogate Railway enjoyed a 1-0 triumph at Lancaster City thanks to an Adam Baker strike after 14 minutes.

Scarborough Athletic were 2-1 winners against visiting Kendal Town thanks to goals from Ryan Blott and Dean Lisles.

Ossett Town’s hosting of Salford City was postponed owing to severe damage to the pitch while Farsley AFC’s home clash with Bamber Bridge was frozen off.

In the Premier Division, Frickley Athletic were sunk 3-0 at Curzon Ashton.

In First Division South, Goole AFC drew 0-0 at home to Loughborough Dynamo.