Non-League: Misfiring Lions shot down by late strike

Paul Thirlwell, scorer of Harrogate Town's late winner.
Paul Thirlwell, scorer of Harrogate Town's late winner.
Have your say

GUISELEY slipped to 17th in National League as a late strike from Tom Richards gave hosts Aldershot a 1-0 victory that took the hosts above the Lions into 16th.

Both sides cancelled each other out during the first half but Guiseley nearly took the lead when James Hurst fired a good effort just wide.

Aldershot’s best chance of the opening 45 minutes fell to Charlie Walker who found himself in a good position but his effort lacked pace and also went harmlessly wide

Guiseley then had a good opportunity with Adam Boyes flicking the ball to Gavin Rothery but he could not direct his effort on target.

The second half saw Guiseley keeper Steven Drench being tested early on with two shots which he saved well, the better effort being a save from Dan Walker.

The Lions then pushed on with Hurst again firing wide from 30 yards out.

Try as they might, the ball just wouldn’t go in for Guiseley and Aldershot made the visitors pay with ten minutes left.

Jake Gallagher produced a good cross which found Richards who was able to keep his cool and fire the ball into the net. Aldershot then nearly doubled their lead when Sean McGinty hit the crossbar.

Guiseley manager Mark Bower said: “It’s just one of those days, we had chances and could have won it, but we have to move on and focus on Grimsby.”

Guiseley next face fourth-placed Grimsby Town on Boxing Day at Nethermoor Park.

Elsewhere, FC Halifax Town climbed a place to third-bottom as a 1-1 with mid-table visitors Tranmere maintained Jim Harvey’s unbeaten record as caretaker-manager.

A spectacular goal from captain Nicky Wroe cancelled out James Norwood’s opener before Town striker Jordan Burrow was sent off late on.

The Shaymen visit seventh-placed Lincoln City on Boxing Day.

In National League North, Paul Thirlwell bagged a last-minute winner to seal Harrogate Town a 1-0 victory at home to sixth-bottom Brackley Town at a packed CNG Stadium. An attendance of 1,534 had taken advantage of an early Christmas present by Town which saw all supporters offered free admission.

Town visit eighth-placed Stockport on Boxing Day.

In-form Bradford Park Avenue climbed into 12th with a 1-0 success at seventh-bottom Alfreton Town to make it four wins in a row and eight games undefeated.

Craig King scored the all-important goal in the 15th minute, taking Richard Marshall’s pass and finding the bottom corner of the net off a post. Avenue visit 15th-placed FC United on Boxing Day.


OSSETT ALBION moved third in First Division North as three goals in the opening 24 minutes set up a 3-1 success at second-bottom Harrogate Railway.

Rob Bordman struck twice in the opening 16 minutes and Danny South added the third with just 24 minutes gone. Jack Stockdill pulled a goal back for Railway just after the half-hour mark but there was no further scoring.

But it was a different story for third-bottom Ossett Town who were walloped 5-2 by a visiting Farsley Celtic side who are up to 16th. Town trailed to Paddy Miller’s well-hit goal at the break before Lewis Nightingale doubled the advantage on 59 minutes.

Paul Walker then added Farsley’s third goal just two minutes later before Nightingale grabbed his second.

David Brown opened Town’s account with 20 minutes remaining but Ross Daly quickly netted Farsley’s fifth. Jack Moore hit a consolation for Town just before the end.

Brighouse Town sit ninth after falling to an unlikely looking 5-1 reverse at home to Witton Albion who trailed 1-0 at the break. Ryan Hall’s 45th-minute goal should have boosted Brighouse but they conceded five in the final 29 minutes.

Fernando Moke and Joseph Fox were on the mark for Scarborough Athletic who fell to a 4-2 defeat at Droylsden.

In the Premier, Frickley Athletic took a point from a 1-1 draw at eighth-placed Halesowen Town. Nathan Waite headed the opener for the home side three minutes into the second half but Bradley Grayson netting the equaliser with 10 minutes left.

Chris Hardy’s first league game in charge of Whitby Town ended in a 1-0 home defeat to Sutton Coldfield Town. Jordan Goddard scored in the 38th minute with a curling free-kick.

In First Division South, Goole AFC drew 3-3 at home to Belper Town. A brace from Nicholas Guest plus an Aaron Moxam strike gave the hosts a point.


JIMMY BEADLE struck an 87th-minute penalty to salvage a 1-1 draw for Premier Division leaders Tadcaster Albion at third-bottom Parkgate.

The hosts looked on course to pull off a surprise thanks to Jordan Turner’s 23rd-minute opener but Beadle’s late spot kick put the Brewers three points clear of Worksop Town who lost 3-1 at Clipstone.

But Worksop have a game in hand on Albion while fourth-placed Handsworth Parramore are only four points behind Tadcaster with two games in hand.

Handsworth were 2-1 victors at home to Rainworth Miners Welfare.

Elsewhere, Garforth Town drew a 3-3 thriller with high-flying visitors Bridlington Town

Curtly Martin-Wyatt struck an injury time penalty to bag a point for Garforth who had already twice levelled through Jordan Outerbridge and Sinmi Oyebanji. Andy Norfolk’s late strike looked to have given Brid’ victory.

Pickering Town rose to 10th with a 3-2 triumph at Cleethorpes Town after Nathan Kamara’s 73rd-minute winner. Pickering were 2-0 up after just ten minutes through a second minute Lewis Taylor penalty followed by a Ged Dalton strike. Cleethorpes recovered to level 2-2 at the break with the help of an Ashley Hope own goal.

Pontefract Collieries’ trip to Maltby Main was abandoned at half-time due to floodlight failure.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare moved seven points clear at the top of Division One with a 4-1 victory at Yorkshire Amateur.

Strikes from Bill Law, Shane Kelsey, Danny Critchlow and a Chris Hitchings own goal sunk Ammers who netted through Joel Hughes.

An early Jordan Corduri strike gave AFC Emley a 1-1 draw at home to Hallam but Eccleshill United lost 4-2 at Bottesford Town despite netting twice ion the first five minutes through Adam Turner and an Andy Cooper penalty.

Glasshoughton Welfare drew 1-1 with visiting Dronfield Town thanks to Alex Romaniw’s leveller but Knaresborough Town were beaten 3-0 at Penistone Church.

Selby Town’s trip to Teversal was postponed.

Action resumes on Boxing Day.