Non-League: Lions put to the sword by leaders Rovers

Dan Atkinson
Dan Atkinson
Have your say

Guiseley sank to the bottom of the National League table after losing 3-0 at top-of-the-league Forest Green Rovers.

This was always going to be a tough game for Guiseley considering the form of their opponents who are aiming for promotion to League Two.

Forest Green started with attacks from the off, but Guiseley also showed a threat early on with Jake Cassidy producing a smart turn that gave him room to have a shot but it went wide.

But the hosts were in front with just under 20 minutes gone, when Darren Carter picked out the top corner of the goal, his curling effort left Guiseley keeper Dan Atkinson with no chance.

Despite being a goal down, Guiseley had another opportunity when Cassidy found room in the area but as he tried to shoot he was closed down in the area and his quick effort went over the bar.

The away side went in a goal down at half-time but just moments into the second half they were 2-0 behind when Christian Doidge on the turn produced a fine effort into the net.

Soon after, Rovers made it 3-0 when Dan Wishart’s powerful cross hit off Jake Lawlor who tried to turn the ball out of play but instead it went into the back of the goal.

Guiseley’s next game is against Gateshead tomorrow night as they look to build on their previous last two home matches in the league where they beat both York City and Southport.

Two goals in the space of five second-half minutes saw Harrogate Town slip to a 2-1 defeat at National North leaders AFC Fylde on Saturday.

There was little to choose between the sides until Simon Weaver’s side took the lead on the stroke of half-time when Tom Platt headed Joe Leesley’s free-kick in off the post.

The visitors’ stern defence then came undone in the 62nd minute when Sam Finley’s shot somehow trickled through the arms of Peter Crook and over the line.

Four minutes later James Hardy turned the match on its head as he sprung the offside trap before rounding Crook and sliding into an empty net.

Town could not find an equaliser and are now down to fifth in the table following their third defeat of the season. Town host Kidderminster tomorrow night.

Halifax Town moved back into the play-off places with a 4-1 victory at Boston.

Josh Macdonald’s cross was headed back across goal and in by Denton to hand Town a half-time lead, and that was added to 22 seconds after the interval when Simmons bustled his way through a challenge before coolly slipping the ball under the on-rushing Dion-Curtis Henry. Despite Smith then being dismissed for a second booking, ex-Town man Waide Fairhurst’s cross was turned in from close range by the unmarked Jay Rollins.

Simmons got his second with a superb rising drive from the edge of the box before Denton curled a superb shot out of Henry’s reach from 20 yards for Halifax’s coup de grace.

Bottom-side Bradford Park Avenue put in a strong display at Gloucester but still went down 1-0.

The only goal came on seven minutes when Joe Hanks’ whipped ball found the net.

Park Avenue had a great chance to equalise with a minute left to play but Luke Dean’s volley was saved by the goalkeeper.


A goal three minutes from time from Jack Waters earned Frickley Athletic three vital points in a 1-0 victory at Rushall Olympic in the Premier Division.

Frickley are still third from bottom but are now four points clear of bottom-side Skelmersdale United.

In Division One North, leaders Brighouse Town earned a point in a goalless draw at Colne while sixth-placed Farsley enjoyed a 3-0 victory at Prescot Cables.

Lewis Nightingale gave Celtic the lead on 17 minutes before James Walshaw doubled the advantage a minute before the half-time interval. Paul Walker completed the scoring on 79 minutes.

Fourth-placed Scarborough Athletic saw off the challenge of Ramsbottom United. Scarborough’s goals came from Benny Igiehon, Cameron Murray and Carl Stewart.

Eighth-placed Tadcaster Albion suffered a setback when they lost 2-1 at home to Kendal Town. Two goals before half-time from Samuel Bailey gave Kendal the advantage and they held on for the three points despite Andrew Milne’s goal for Albion with two minutes left.

A brace from Ashley Jackson was enough to earn mid-table Ossett Town a 2-0 victory at Lancaster City. It was also a good day for Ossett Albion who triumphed 2-0 over Radcliffe Borough.

First-half goals from James Eyles and Nicholas Matthews ensured Albion claimed the three points and moved up to third from bottom in the table.


AFC Emley progressed to the second round of the FA Vase with a 3-1 victory over Chadderton.

Matthew Jackson, Thomas Brennan and Ashley Flynn scored the Emley goals.

Lewis Taylor fired in a last-minute penalty to give Pickering Town – whose line-up included 16-year-old Owen Marshall – a 1-0 FA Vase victory at Bridlington Town.

It’s as you were at the top of the Northern Counties East League Premier Division as both second-placed Liversedge and leaders Cleethorpes Town both won.

A first-half goal from Stephen Wales was enough to see Liversedge past Clipstone 1-0 to keep the pressure on Cleethorpes.

First-half goals from Lee Turner and Mitchell Hamilton helped Garforth Town win 2-0 at Athersley Recreation and edge away from the danger zone at the bottom of the table.

Harrogate Railway Athletic also had a day to remember, thumping Maltby Main 5-1 at home.

Paul Beesley opened the scoring on seven minutes before Fraser Hanson added a second just after half-time.

Further goals from Chris Ovington, Toby Lees andStephen Bromley 90 ensured Railway cruised to victory.

In Division One, second-placed Pontefract Collieries moved to within one point of leaders Penistone Church with a 2-1 victory over Rossington Main.

Goals from Michael Dunn on 52 and 79 minutes ensured Collieries kept the pressure on the leaders.

Fifth-placed Knaresborough Town played out a goalless draw at play-off rivals Grimsby Borough while eighth-placed Selby Town had a day to forget, going down 4-0 at Ollerton Town.

Glasshoughton Welfare came back from Westella and Willerby with a 2-0 victory thanks to goals from Adam Hayton (penalty) and Conor Glavin.

Thirteenth-placed Yorkshire Amateur drew 2-2 at Teversal.

Amateur’s goals came from Adam Shaw and Fernando Moke.

Basement-side Nostell Miners Welfare lost 3-2 at home to Dronfield. Connor Prestley and Matthew Thompson scored the goals for Nostell.