Non league: Lions make their point in Dover draw

KEY MAN: John Rooney saw his free-kick deflected into the side to give Guiseley the lead in Saturday's 1-1 draw with visiting Dover Athletic.
KEY MAN: John Rooney saw his free-kick deflected into the side to give Guiseley the lead in Saturday's 1-1 draw with visiting Dover Athletic.
Have your say

GUISELEY drew for the fourth game in a row after another good performance saw them gain a point against second-placed visitors Dover Athletic through a 1-1 draw in National League.

The Lions entered the match unbeaten in the three matches under Paul Cox had been in charge of, while Dover knew they could go top of the league as they sat in second.

The hosts had a great chance when a John Rooney free-kick was flicked on by Rob Atkinson who saw his header go narrowly wide of goal.

Dover were being reduced to a few efforts from range that did not test Guiseley keeper Joe Green, while again the hosts nearly took the lead when a Lee Molyneux corner found Kayode Odejayi and Dover’s Mitch Walker did well to tip it over the bar.

Just before the half-hour mark Guiseley took the lead when a Rooney free-kick took a big deflection off the Dover wall and nestled into the back of the net, leaving Walker who was wrong footed by the deflection with no chance.

Paul Cox’s side were then dealt a double blow, first Raul Correria was stretchered off after landing awkwardly, from the restart Nortei Nortey produced a wonderful finish for Dover into the top corner and the scores were level at half-time.

While the first-half had many chances, the second was more of a battle in midfield.

There was one real chance of note and it went to Dover when Femi Ilesanmi put a powerful cross across the face of goal and it looked like Ryan Bird had a tap in but Rob Atkinson made a fine challenge to clear it away.

In the end it was point for both sides, who both could be satisfied with their displays during the game.

Manager Cox said: “I’m pleased with the performance, we had chances in the first-half, we look harder to break down, so I’m taking a lot from this game, we just lack that second goal in this game, we know need to get the draws into wins.”

Elsewhere in National League, FC Halifax Town moved fourth by recording a 2-1 victory at home to Bromley who dropped to tenth.

The Shaymen picked up all three points despite seeing Scott Garner sent off three minutes before the break with the hosts netting in the second half through Matthew Kosylo and Tom Denton.

In National League North, Harrogate Town stayed top of the pile with a 2-0 triumph at home to seventh-placed York City.

Joe Leesley’s 15th-minute penalty was followed by a Liam Agnew strike six minutes after the break. Bradford Park Avenue are eighth after losing out 2-1 at Leamington.


FARSLEY Celtic were defeated 2-1 by Barwell to complete a miserable week, following Tuesday’s 6-0 defeat away to Altrincham, writes THOMAS RITCHIE.

Midway through the first-half Richard Marshall came close to finding the breakthrough for Farsley, as his effort on the turn in the area was superbly saved by Liam Castle.

The visitors took a deserved lead just after the break through Ryan Seal. Seal was felled in the area before stepping up and converting the penalty, sending McKibbin the wrong way.

Shortly after, Barwell doubled their advantage as Matt Stenson produced a stunning overhead kick which flew into the top corner.

Barwell almost made it 3-0 with just minutes remaining, as Richard Marshall gave the ball away to Owen Story who had his effort saved by McKibbin, before Jake Heath blazed the rebound over. With time running out, Farsley were given a penalty which James Walshaw slotted home, however it proved to be nothing more than a consolation.

Elsewhere, Ossett Albion earned their first win of the season, with a 2-1 win against Radcliffe. A Darren Torpey own goal gave Albion the lead before James Hooper hit back for Radcliffe, however Andy Welsh converted a 90th minute penalty to hand Ossett the three points.

Ossett Town drew 1-1 with inform Hyde, as Alex Peterson’s early goal for Town was cancelled out by Matthew Beadle’s strike.

Brighouse Town were left stunned as they lost 3-2 to Bamber Bridge, despite leading 2-0 heading into injury time. Gabriel Johnson and Thomas Haigh had seemingly put Brighouse in control, before goals from Daniel Mooney, Danny Forbes and then Alistair Waddecar in the 96th minute completed a stunning turnaround for Bamber Bridge.

Goals from Conor Sellars, Thomas Corner and Aiden Savory gave Tadcaster Albion a 3-1 victory over Kendal Town, with Michael Aspin scoring in reply for the visitors.

Frickley Athletic were beaten by Kidsgrove Athletic 3-2, to end a run of three straight wins.


REGAN Fish netted what proved the decisive goal as Liversedge booked their place in the FA Vase first round with Saturday’s 3-2 success at second qualifying round hosts Hemsworth Miners Welfare after extra time.

Joseph Walton gave Liversedge a 26th-minute lead but Lloyd Henderson levelled ten minutes later and the clash went to extra time. Tom Brook put Liversedge back ahead in the 100th minute and after Fish netted another ten minutes later, Richard Collier’s 115th-minute effort for Hemsworth set up a grandstand finish.

Garforth Town also moved through as goals from Sean Hunter, Callum Ward and Mitchell Hamilton sealed a 3-2 success at home to Nelson.

AFC Emley also obliged 2-0 at Sandbach United thanks to first-half strikes from Alex Slack and Jonny Bullivant.

And NCE League leaders Pontefract Collieries stormed through with a 4-1 triumph at Winsford United as Eli Hey’s double followed earlier goals from Mark Whitehouse and Kane Reece.

Harrogate Railway progressed with a 1-0 verdict at Willington as George Eustance bagged an 82nd-minute winner while goals from Brad Walker and Colin Heath put Knaresborough Town in the next round with a 2-1 win at Jarrow Roofing Boldon CA.

But Thackley were undone in extra time as visiting Ashington left with a 3-2 victory.

Goals from Joseph Hughes and Jerome White proved in vain for the hosts.

Efforts from Josh Bucknall and Joshua Morley also failed to prevent Glasshoughton Welfare from a 4-2 loss at home to AFC Darwen while Jamie Miller’s spot kick proved only a consolation for Nostell Miners Welfare who lost 5-1 at Alsager Town.

In Division One of the NCE League, Eccleshill United beat visiting Swallownest 3-2 but Yorkshire Amateur lost 2-1 at home to Campion.