NON-LEAGUE: Lions make a point in bid to avoid drop spots

Brendon Daniels curled home a last-gasp winner from an improbable angle for Harrogate Town against Stalybridge Celtic.
Brendon Daniels curled home a last-gasp winner from an improbable angle for Harrogate Town against Stalybridge Celtic.
Have your say

Guiseley’s long trip to seventh-placed Eastleigh was worth it on Saturday as they left with a point after a 1-1 draw in their bid to beat the National League drop.

On a bobbly pitch, a back pass to Guiseley goalkeeper Steven Drench by Adam Lockwood went horribly wrong with the ball passing the foot of the goalie and ending up in the back of the net after only a minute.

Guiseley nearly levelled quickly when Eastleigh no1, Ross Flitney, delayed his clearance and Emile Sinclair was able to make contact with the ball but it went just wide.

Ben Parker then struck a free-kick, which was goal-bound but was saved easily by Flitney.

Drench was then called into action, with James Constable turning well and delivering a great strike which was well saved.

Guiseley went into the break behind but James Hurst ensured they were level soon into the second half when he struck a wonderful free-kick.

Guiseley could have even won it late on when Sinclair was able to work his way past a host of Eastleigh players, but he was tackled just before he unleashed his shot.

Guiseley sit 18th – three points above the dropzone – and return to action next Saturday at home to leaders Cheltenham Town.

FC Halifax Town slipped to third bottom after Saturday’s 1-0 loss at fourth-placed Dover.

Nicky Deverdics’ goal after eight minutes was enough to separate the teams, although The Shaymen hit the bar in the second half through Jordan Burrow.

Halifax return to action tomorrow evening at home to sixth-bottom Boreham Wood.

In National League North, Brendon Daniels scored a dramatic winner as Harrogate Town got their promotion bid back on track with a 2-1 win over Stalybridge Celtic. Daniels’ deep free-kick bent into the top corner three minutes inside second-half stoppage time to send the home crowd into raptures at the CNG Stadium.

An own goal courtesy of Celtic defender Dave Wright had given Town a half-time lead but a clanger from goalkeeper Peter Crook allowed Chris Simms to level matters on the hour mark.

Victory left Town fourth – with a five-point gap back to the teams outside of the play-offs – and with two games in hand.

Town are back in action tomorrow evening at home to third-bottom Lowestoft Town.

Fifteenth-placed Bradford Park Avenue travel to fifth-bottom Worcester City tomorrow and approach the game following Saturday’s 2-1 loss at runaway leaders Solihull Moors.

Richard Marshall’s penalty was in vain for the visitors against a Moors’ brace from marksman Michael Nottingham.


OSSETT TOWN took a huge step towards sealing their First Division North status with Saturday’s crucial 2-1 success at home to relegation rivals Harrogate Railway.

Danny Frost gave Town a 20th-minute lead before Amaar Purewal levelled for Rail’ 10 minutes before the break. But Simon Rogers bagged Town a winning goal with 12 minutes left to leave the Ossett side third-bottom, eight points clear of second-bottom Rail’ and with two games in hand.

Ossett Albion were also celebrating as a 3-1 success at Clitheroe sent them eighth. Albion’s Robert Bordman experienced a day of contrasting emotions as his 26th-minute own goal cancelled out Connor Brunt’s eighth-minute opener. But Bordman then put Town back in front 10 minutes before the interval and then added his second goal in the final minute.

Farsley Celtic dropped to 12th after a 3-0 loss at Trafford who scored all of their goals in the second half. Liam Davies opened the scoring after 68 minutes before Aaron Burns hot a late brace with two goals inside the last nine minutes.

Scarborough Athletic sit 17th after a 3-2 reverse at home to Witton Albion. Robert Hopley fired Wittton in front after 11 minutes but Jamie Forrester levelled six minutes later. Alexander Titchiner put Witton back in front four minutes later and the lead became 3-1 when Robert Hopley netted four minutes after the hour.

Glenn Matthews set up a grandstand finish with his strike nine minutes from time.

In the Premier, Frickley Athletic enjoyed a 3-0 win at home to Hyde United thanks to strikes from Luke Hinsley and Bailey Gooda plus an own goal. Whitby Town lost 3-2 at Buxton, despite late away goals from Michael Roberts and Callum Marton threatening a comeback.

In First Division South, second-bottom Goole AFC were walloped 5-0 at Romulus whose Luke Keen struck four.


TADCASTER Albion moved two points off Premier Division top spot with Saturday’s 2-0 success at Albion Sports.

James Firth’s 19th-minute own goal put Albion in front with Tom Corner adding a second nine minutes before the interval.

Leaders Handsworth Parramore’s trip to Pontefract Collieries was postponed and second-placed Albion will move top by a point if winning their game in hand.

Sixth-placed Pickering Town suffered last-minute heartache in a 3-2 loss at home to Bridlington Town whose Brett Agnew bagged a hat-trick.

Agnew put Brid’ 1-0 up after just two minutes but Pickering led 2-1 at the break through Joe Danby and Mitchell Hamilton.

Agnew levelled one minute after the break and then completed his hat-trick on 90 minutes.

Liversedge enjoyed a decent away day with a 4-2 triumph at Barton Town Old Boys. Benny Igiehon’s double was supported by strikes from Tinotenda Chibaro and Brandon Kane.

Garforth Town were also 2-0 victors against visiting Athersley Recreation with Luke McCrum and Curtly Martin-Wyatt getting a goal each.

Nostell Miners Welfare were undone by Luke Anderson’s 41st-minute winner in a 1-0 loss at home to Brigg Town while Thackley drew 0-0 with visiting Parkgate.

In Division One, Hemsworth Miners Welfare need five more points to seal the league title after Saturday’s 3-0 cruise at Hall Road Rangers. Jason Yates hit a 17th-minute penalty which was added to by second-half strikes from Bill Law and Samuel Jones.

AFC Emley stayed fourth with a 4-0 triumph at Dronfield Town. Ashley Flynn hit a hat-trick with goals on nine, 31 and 57 minutes with Craig Billington also netting eight minutes after the break.

Knaresborough Town salvaged a 1-1 draw from their trip to Shirebrook Town who led after 72 minutes through Oliver Beaumont.

Colin Heath then levelled nine minutes from time.

Yorkshire Amateur lost out 2-0 at Penistone Church who netted through Tom Cadzow and Daniel Joynes.

Selby Town’s trip to Hallam and Glasshoughton Welfare’s home clash with AFC Mansfield were both postponed.