Non-League: Garforth claim five-star win under new boss Costello

Farsley Celtic's Aiden Savory.
Farsley Celtic's Aiden Savory.
Have your say

GARFORTH TOWN claimed their first win under new boss Adie Costello in some style with an emphatic 5-0 home win over visiting Armthorpe Welfare in the second round of the West Riding County Cup.

Curtly Martin-Wyatt was at the double for the Miners, netting a goal in each half, with the hosts on the scoresheet four times in the second period.

Also on the mark for Garforth were Spencer Lund, Danny Harris and Jassim Alali.

Thackley are also safely through after a 3-0 verdict against Liversedge at Dennyfield – thanks to strikes from Liam Hudson and two penalties from Mike Garrod and Ben Beckles.

Action in the NCEL Premier sees Albion Sports welcome Pickering tonight.

Integro Doodson Sport League Cup action took centre stage elsewhere and it was a good night with a host of sides making it through to the next round.

First-half goals from Aiden Savory and Chris Howarth enabled Farsley Celtic to claim an impressive 2-0 win over Craig Elliott’s Shaw Lane Aquaforce, while Sam Akeroyd fired a brace on the restart for Ossett Town in their 2-0 verdict at Goole.

Goals in each half from Brett Lucas and Bradley Docherty saw Frickley Athletic progress 2-0 at Grantham, while Ossett Albion prevailed by the odd goal in five against visiting Mossley.

Connor Bower, Connor Brunt and Nick Matthews were on the scoresheet for Albion, who recently signed former Bradford and Everton youngster George Green.

David Short and Kyle McGonigle replied for the visitors.

Brighouse went down 2-0 at Spennymoor, with James Pollard putting through his own net 17 minutes from time and Ross Marrow adding a late second for the hosts.

Meanwhile, fourth-placed Harrogate Town played out a thrilling 3-3 draw at Boston United in Vanarama North, with the Pilgrims coming from behind on three occasions to bag a point.

Striker Jerry Yates, on loan from Rotherham United, put Town ahead on 10 minutes, with Dayle Southwell drawing Boston level for the first time nine minutes before the break.

Dom Knowles restored Simon Weaver’s side’s advantage on 57 minutes, only for Carl Piergianni to make it 2-2 six minutes later.

Louie Swain put Town in front for a third time 13 minutes from the end, but Ryan Robbins ensured the points were shared.