Non-league football: Weaver praise for Town in light of battling draw

Paul Clayton.
Paul Clayton.
Have your say

IT was honours even at a windswept CNG Stadium on Saturday as mid-table sides Harrogate Town and Lowestoft Town battled out a 1-1 draw in Vanarama North.

Early Harrogate pressure saw visiting keeper Ashlee Jones turn Ryan Fallowfield’s cross-cum-shot on to the bar but it was Lowestoft who opened the scoring after Shaun Bammant had been tripped in the area.

Jack Ainsley gave Peter Crook no chance with the resulting penalty.

Jones then turned Harrogate debutante James Cadman’s effort onto the post as Harrogate pressed for an equaliser and with 12 minutes left they were rewarded when Paddy McLaughlin headed in after a fine run and cross from Louis Swain.

Town boss Simon Weaver said: “I was proud of how the lads preserved and stuck to the game plan.

“The fans in the Kop were immense throughout the second half and lifted all of us. It was a pity we couldn’t win the game for them but I’m glad that we at least played some good, attractive football.”

Town sit 13th in the table and return to action next Saturday at second-bottom Stalybridge Celtic.

Elsewhere at the weekend, Bradford Park Avenue battled to a gutsy 0-0 draw at leaders Barrow.

Avenue probably had the better of the chances with Steve Boothman seeing two shots excellently saved and his set pieces created two first-half chances. Barrow gave their opponents a scare late on, but Avenue were strong in defence and kept a clean sheet against the top scoring side in the division.

Avenue sit in 14th and return to action on Wednesday evening at home to Gainsborough Trinity.

Third-placed Guiseley were not in action at the weekend but play tomorrow evening at fourth-placed Chorley.

In the Conference, FC Halifax Town kept their outside play-off chances alive with a 2-1 victory at Nuneaton as a brace from Jack Muldoon helped the Shaymen to their first win in eight games.

The visitors took an early lead through Muldoon’s first goal for the club, a sharp finish to Scott Boden’s header.

The two combined again to extend Halifax’s lead as Muldoon angled Boden’s cross into the bottom corner.

Andy Brown headed James Armson’s corner home to keep fourth-bottom Nuneaton in the game but Halifax held on for all three points. Eighth-placed Halifax are back in action on Good Friday at home to fourth-placed Macclesfield.


FARSLEY AFC fell further off the Evo-Stik League First Division North play-off places through Saturday’s 1-0 loss at home to Lancaster City.

The day before Farsley striker Adam Priestley was in action for Gibraltar against Scotland, the Villagers were undone by a Ryan Serrant own goal after 21 minutes.

Defeat leaves Farsley ninth and ten points behind fifth-placed Bamber Bridge with a game in hand and six games left to play. Priestley then played all 90 minutes of Gibraltar’s 6-1 loss in Scotland yesterday.

Ossett Town endured late heartache in a 3-2 loss at Clitheroe who struck three times in the last six minutes.

Town led 2-0 at the break through Steven Jeff and Josh Whiteley.

Ossett Albion fared better as Connor Brunt’s 83rd-minute strike gave them a 1-0 win at home to Prescot Cables. Alex Metcalfe’s strike was in vain for Scarborough Athletic as they lost 3-1 at home to leaders Salford City.

In the Premier, Gavin Allott blasted in a hat-trick of penalties as Frickley Athletic obliged 3-1 at Rushall Olympic.

Allott netted from the spot after 22, 34 and 68 minutes to wipe out Jake Heath’s 26th-minute strike for the hosts.

But Whitby Town lost 1-0 at home to Barwell while Goole AFC were defeated 3-0 by visiting Mickleover Sports in First Division South.

Underdogs North Ferriby United fought back from two goals down to draw 3-3 with Wrexham before beating the Welsh side on penalties in a dramatic FA Trophy final at Wembley yesterday.

Goals from Louis Moult and Jay Harris put Wrexham 2-0 up, but Ferriby struck twice in the final 14 minutes through Liam King and substitute Ryan Kendall to send the match to extra-time.

Kendall then headed United in front only for Wrexham to fight back themselves and make it 3-3 two minutes from the final whistle through top scorer Moult.

That sent the final to penalties, where three saves from goalkeeper Adam Nicklin helped United come out on top 5-4 to claim the biggest triumph in their history.


LIVERSEDGE were stung by a three-minute hat-trick from Kieron Wells as part of a 4-1 away win for Handsworth Parramore in the NCE Premier.

Danny Butle gave the visitors a 17th-minute before Joel Farrar levelled 16 minutes later. But Wells astonishingly netted after 66, 67 and 68 minutes to seal all three points.

Thackley looked poised for victory at second-placed Cleethorpes Town before having to settle for a 1-1 draw. Mike Garrod gave Thackley a 74th-minute lead but Louis Grant levelled four minutes later.

Relegation-battling Nostell Miners Welfare savoured a 1-0 triumph at Parkgate. James Kitson hit the only goal of the game after 33 minutes.

But Craig Hogg’s strike was in vain for Bridlington Town who lost 5-1 at Heanor Town.

In Division One, Eccleshill United’s Marcus Edwards bagged a ten-minute hat-trick as his side beat visiting Grimsby Borough 4-0. Edwards struck after 43 and 47 minutes before sealing a rapid treble with his 53rd-minute penalty. Steve Rivera then added a fourth two minutes from time.

A double from Aaron Moxam kept Pontefract Collieries top with a 2-1 victory at home to title rivals Clipstone. Moxam notched his first after just two minutes but Clipstone levelled on the stroke of half-time through Robert Paling’s penalty. But Moxam bagged his second three minutes after the hour with Ponte staying ahead of second-placed AFC Emley on goal difference.

Emley won 1-0 at Dronfield thanks to a Sam Jerome strike mid-way through the first half.

Fifth-placed Hemsworth Miners Welfare were held to a goalless draw at Penistone Church. Selby Town enjoyed a 1-0 win at home to Teversal thanks to Chris Jackson’s 58th-minute winner but Knaresborough Town were downed 4-1 at AFC Mansfield. Colin Heath’s strike proved only a late Boro consolation.