Non-League Football: Southport setback for stuttering Guiseley

Guiseley manager Mark Bower.
Guiseley manager Mark Bower.
Have your say

GUISELEY slipped to within three points of the National League drop zone after Saturday’s 2-0 loss at Southport.

The hosts began well with Jonny Margetts causing problems and his header having to be cleared.

But Guiseley could have taken the lead when Will Hatfield worked some room for himself and fired a shot towards goal which was saved.

With heavy rain lashing down, questions were raised over whether the game would last the 90 minutes but eight minutes before the break Southport took the lead. Margetts broke the deadlock by firing home from just outside the area and the hosts took a 1-0 lead into the interval.

Guiseley then pressed early in the second half with Hatfield seeing an effort blocked before Nicky Boshell saw a header flash just wide of the left hand post. Southport, though, continued to threaten, with Louis Almond cutting inside before firing an effort well wide.

And it was the home side that bagged the game’s second goal when Craig Westcarr converted a counter attack with a fine lob that left goalkeeper Dan Atkinson with no chance.

Guiseley attempted to rally and Emile Sinclair, who had come off the bench, twice went close.

First Sinclair hit the crossbar before then seeing an effort cleared off the line moments later.

But there was to be no way back for the Lions who sit 18th with seven games left to play.

The Lions will now look to bounce back with today’s hosting of a Chester side who are two points and one place above them.

FC Halifax Town savoured a fine afternoon on Saturday as a 1-0 win at home to relegation-battling rivals Altrincham took them out of the drop zone.

The Shaymen were reduced to 10 men when James Bolton was given a 53rd-minute red card for bringing down Damian Reeves.

Yet Halifax defied their numerical disadvantage to net all three points thanks to a strike from Connor Hughes eight minutes after the hour.

The Shaymen have now jumped above Alty into 19th with Halifax two points above the drop zone ahead of today’s trip to 14th-placed Barrow.

In National League North, three red cards were shown as promotion-chasing Harrogate Town drew 1-1 with visiting Curzon Ashton. Warren Burrell saw red for Town with Joe Guest and Chris Rowney both sent off for Curzon who led through Matthew Warburton but were pegged back by a Brendan Daniels penalty.

The point leaves Town in fourth ahead of today’s trip to sixth-bottom Bradford Park Avenue who were not in action on Saturday.


Harrogate Railway were left stunned after Saturday’s 5-3 loss at Mossley in which the Starbeck outfit led 3-2 heading into injury time, writes LEE SOBOT.

Second-bottom Rail’ looked destined to take a precious three points after a double from Chris Ovington plus a Paul Beesley strike had them 3-2 up after 69 minutes. But Mossley conjured up an astonishing rally in injury time with a late brace from Douglas Carroll plus a Thomas Pratt strike sealing an amazing comeback.

There was also heartache for third-bottom Ossett Town who were chinned 2-1 at Scarborough Athletic. The Seadogs led after 24 minutes through Stephen Mallory but Nick Wood levelled 16 minutes from time, only for Niall Flint to then hit a last-minute winner.

Mid-table Brighouse Town endured a day to forget as a 1-1 draw gave rock-bottom hosts New Mills only their second point of the season. Daniel Facey’s 11th-minute opener had Brighouse in front but Ryan Hopper levelled ten minutes later from the penalty spot.

Farsley Celtic’s diminishing play-off prospects were dealt another big blow in Saturday’s 3-1 loss at home to third-placed Glossop North End.

The home side’s prospects looked good after Paul Walker gave them a 34th-minute lead but Kieran Lugsden levelled one minute before the interval before second-half goals from Jamie Rainford and Benjamin Richardson left the Celts 11th and 11 points off the play-offs.

The play-offs dream is also fading for ninth-placed Ossett Albion who were hammered 4-0 by second-placed visitors Spennymoor Town.

In the Premier, mid-table Frickley Athletic enjoyed a 1-0 victory at home to second-bottom Colwyn Bay thanks to Jacob Hazel’s 61st-minute winner. In First Division South, third-bottom Goole AFC were undone by Courey Graham’s strike in a 1-0 loss at Basford United.


TITLE-chasing Tadcaster Albion had to settle for a share of the spoils as Saturday’s top-of-the-table clash with Cleethorpes Town ended goalless, writes LEE SOBOT.

Leaders Handsworth Parramore took advantage by winning 3-1 at Parkgate to pull four points clear of second-placed Albion who have one game in hand.

Sixth played fifth respectively as Pickering Town were chinned 2-1 at Worksop Town. Pickering led after seven minutes through a Julian Lawrence own goal but Andre Johnson levelled just one minute later and then won the contest with his 82nd-minute penalty.

Liversedge moved off the foot of the division with a 3-1 triumph at home to Rainworth Miners Welfare. After Benny Igiehon’s early opener, Timmy Raheem hit an 85th-minute winner for Liversedge to complete a personal brace.

Nostell Miners Welfare are now bottom, with a late Ryan Donoghue strike in vain in a 2-1 loss at Armthorpe Welfare.

Pontefract Collieries jumped up to 16th after shocking fourth-placed visitors Bridlington Town 3-1. A Mark Whitehouse double and Aaron Joseph strike sunk Brid’ whose sole response came through Joel Sutton.

Mid-table Thackley were denied victory by an injury-time penalty in a dramatic 2-2 draw at Athersley Recreation. After an earlier leveller from Kris Hargreaves, Ryan Farrell’s 90th-minute effort looked to have given Thackley victory.

Garforth Town were felled 2-1 at Staveley Miners Welfare with Curtly Martin-Wyatt the sole scorer for the visitors.

Division One leaders Hemsworth Miners Welfare remain nine points clear after a Nash Connolly treble inspired a 4-0 win at home to Rossington Main. Bill Law also netted for the hosts.

Fourth-placed AFC Emley were held to a 1-1 draw at Grimsby Borough while Knaresborough Town were felled 1-0 by visiting AFC Mansfield.

Efforts from Brett Catley and Mark Trueman saw Eccleshill United to a 2-0 win at home to Shirebrook Town while goals from Josh Morley and Ryan Poskitt gave Glasshoughton Welfare a 2-0 triumph at Teversal. Chris Jackson’s double saw Selby Town to a 2-2 draw at home to Worsbrough Bridge.