Non-league football: Lions will have to do it tough says Bower

Oli Johnson.
Oli Johnson.
Have your say

FRUSTRATION was the operative word for Guiseley boss Mark Bower, who admits his Lions side will have to “do it the hard way”, after their FA Trophy stalemate at home to Rushall Olympic.

The dogged Midlanders, who reside in the Evo-Stik Premier Division, thwarted Guiseley in a 0-0 third qualifying round draw on Saturday, with the replay taking place tomorrow evening.

Bower said: “It was very frustrating, that was the word for it.

“I thought in the first half, we moved the ball around quite well and they sat quite deep.

“But we created chances and really should have been in front.

“We had more than enough chances; real good chances to score.

“If we had taken one of them, I think we would have gone on to comfortably win the game.

“But we didn’t and credit to them, they kept going and made it more difficult in the second half, sat even deeper.

“It was disappointing as we created more than enough to score a goal and keep the back door shut.

“We are going to have to do it the hard way and go there on Tuesday and get ourselves through.”

Guiseley created the better chances during the opening 45 minutes, with Gavin Rothery seeing an effort flash just wide.

Then on 40 minutes, an inswinging cross found Ben Parker at the back post, but his header went just off target.

On the stroke of half-time, Oli Johnson was put through one-on-one, but as he tried to squeeze a shot past Olympic goalkeeper Cameron Belford, the ball struck his foot and went out of play.

The second half started with Alex Johnson being brought down in the area, but no penalty was awarded.

Rushall created a couple of chances with Guiseley goalkeeper Steve Drench pulling off some good saves, first of all to keep out a dipping Callum Williams effort and then save a Kris Taylor drive.

The home side thought they had nicked it in the 89th minute when Wayne Brooksby was found in the area from a free-kick, but after he fired the ball past Belford, the whistle blew for an apparent handball.

But Rushall nearly left with a win as Guiseley were caught with bodies upfield, Aaron Williams broke the offside trap and forced Drench into making a fine save to keep the scores level and ensure a replay.

A controversial 84th-minute penalty from Jake Speight rounded off a fine week for Harrogate Town, who won 1-0 at King’s Lynn.

Town, who handed starts to Luke Dean and Leigh Franks after their return from loan spells at Harrogate Railway and Buxton, were awarded a spot-kick after James Walshaw was felled by Linnets keeper Tim Street.

The decision incensed home manager Gary Setchell, in his 250th game in charge.

Not that his counterpart Simon Weaver was complaining as his side followed up their 1-0 midweek win at Colwyn Bay.

He said: “It was another grafting display. It was full of effort and our best move of the game started by Luke Dean led to the penalty. We have had a good win, two away wins and two clean sheets.”

Goals from Lamin Colley, Danny Frost and Lee Chilton saw Bradford Park Avenue progress after a 3-1 home win over Leamington.

Neil Aspin’s FC Halifax Town recorded their first Conference win in six games as they overcame the challenge of Alfreton 2-0 at the Shay.

Lois Maynard scored his fourth goal in seven games before Jamie Jackson added his first goal in 15 to seal Halifax’s much-needed first league victory for over a month.


A POWERHOUSE opening helped Frickley Athletic move six points away from the Evo-Stik Premier drop-zone after a 4-0 home slaying of Trafford.

Goals from Jack Broadhead, Max Leonard and Luke Hinsley put the Blues 3-0 up after 22 minutes and Gavin Allott’s (above) 12th goal of the season midway through the second-half provided the gloss.

Whitby lost out to an early Dale Johnson goal in a 1-0 reverse at Ashton.

In the First Division North, Nathan Cartman found the net for the 34th time in a goal-laden season in Harrogate Railway’s 2-1 victory over visiting Northwich.

Michael Roddy put Victoria in front, only for Cartman to level just before the break and Lawrence Hunter struck the 53rd-minute winner.

Chris Fisher’s 88th-minute goal enabled Brighouse Town to end November unbeaten after a 2-1 derby win over Ossett Town, whose scorer was Chris Wood (penalty).

Ernest Boafa also netted for Brighouse.

Lewis Nightingale was spot-on for fifth-placed Farsley AFC, who hit three unanswered second-half goals in a 3-0 verdict at Kendal Town.

Nightingale struck on 47 and 72 minutes with Gibraltar’s Adam Priestley tagging on a third three minutes from time.

Ossett Albion lost 3-0 at home to FA Cup giant-killers Warrington Town, whose scorers were Lee Gaskell, Thomas Hardwick and Louis Corrigan. Scarborough Athletic triumphed by the same score at rock-bottom Padiham, with Doncaster Rovers loan striker Alex Peterson, James Beadle and Ryan Blott on the mark.

Goole were pegged back late on in a 3-3 First Division South draw at Stafford.

Billy Law, Jordan Thewlis and Julian Lawrence netted for the Vikings.


SORRY Glasshoughton Welfare suffered a torrid afternoon in a 12-0 home drubbing to NCEL Premier high-fliers Shaw Lane Aquaforce.

James Eyles struck five times for the Barnsley-based outfit, with Lee Morris and Joe Thornton hitting two apiece.

Shaw Lane cut Tadcaster’s lead at the top to seven points with a game in hand after the Brewers could only draw 2-2 at Worksop Town, with Andrew Milne rescuing a point with a 90th-minute leveller.

Josh Greening had earlier struck on the hour for Tadcaster, who trailed 2-0 after 26 minutes.

A stoppage-time equaliser from Sinmi Oyebanji earned a share of the spoils for Garforth Town, who drew 2-2 at Armthorpe, Tim Robertson also netting for the Miners.

Alex Cusack struck twice with Brice Tiani and Matt James also on target in Albion Sports’ 4-1 home success over Pickering, while Ombeni Ruhanduka hit two early goals as Bridlington beat Thackley – whose marksman was Mike Garrod – 2-1.

The goals were flying in throughout Division One, with Charlie Flaherty and Josh Rosenstrauch hitting two apiece as Eccleshill ran riot in a 9-0 bitzing of Lincoln Moorlands.

Marcus Edwards, Joey D’Antonio, Steve Rivera, Matt Burras and Doug Stevenson added to their tally.

Colin Heath blasted a hat-trick for Knaresborough Town, 6-0 winners at Hall Road Rangers, with Ben Parkes, Liam Gray and Matthew Pascal also on target.

Second-half goals from Adam Wilson and Dom Blair helped third-placed Hemsworth beat Winterton 2-1, with Pontefract Collieries, in fourth, sinking Penistone Church 2-1, thanks to a brace from Mark Whitehouse.

Selby went down 3-0 at home to Bottesford, for whom Craig Bridge hit a treble in the last 14 minutes.

Leaders AFC Emley are three points clear with Kurtis Noble netting four minutes before the interval in the 1-0 win at Hallam.

Goals from Carl Heard and Joel Hughes gave Yorkshire Amateur the points in a 2-1 verdict at Teversal.