Non-League Football: Lions slide deeper into relegation danger

Jake Lawlor had a near miss for Guiseley against Macclesfield.
Jake Lawlor had a near miss for Guiseley against Macclesfield.
Have your say

GUISELEY slipped to within three points of the National League dropzone with two games to go after Saturday’s 1-0 loss at Macclesfield Town.

The Lions almost took the lead when Oliver Norburn struck a fantastic free-kick that hit the top of the crossbar before going out of play.

Macclesfield, though, soon hit back with Jack Sampson forcing Steven Drench into two smart saves. Guiseley then had another chance of their own when Anthony Dudley and Jake Lawlor combined but the latter saw his effort lack power to cause any serious problems.

And the Lions nearly conceded just before the interval when Macc’ countered through Danny Rowe who saw his effort go wide.

Both sides started the second half attacking, with the home side’s Reece Styche firing wide when in a good position.

Guiseley then saw Dudley head wide after good work by Norburn. But Macclesfield’s Paul Lewis then got the all important breakthrough when he headed home his fifth goal of the season with 14 minutes left.

Guiseley tried desperately to bag a leveller and threatened with a last-gasp goalmouth scramble, from which the ball was cleared.

The Lions are now three points above the dropzone, with FC Halifax Town occupying the final relegation spot after their 2-0 loss at Cheltenham Town who were crowned champions.

The Shaymen have a worse goal difference then Guiseley but a game in hand.

Guiseley, who are 19th, are also two points above 20th-placed Boreham Wood who the Lions next meet in a crunch away clash next Saturday.

Halifax play their game in hand at home to sixth-placed play-off chasers Eastleigh tomorrow evening. The Shaymen were undone by a first-half Dan Holman double on Saturday.

In National League North, Harrogate Town had to settle for a goalless draw at home to Boston United as fourth played fifth. The draw maintains a four-point gap in Town’s favour between the sides, with two games left to play.

Nuneaton Town are the only team currently outside the play-off zone capable of knocking Town out of the play-offs but lie eight points behind with two games in hand.

However, Boston and Nuneaton have to play each other before the season ends and a draw or Nuneaton win would cement Town’s top five slot. Town next visit third-placed AFC Fylde next Saturday.

Bradford Park Avenue moved 12th with a 3-1 win at home to Worcester City as Reece Webb-Foster bagged a first-half hat-trick. Kyle Perry notched one back for Worcester whose Wayne Thomas was sent off. Avenue visit second-bottom Hednesford Town next Saturday.


A MISERABLE season for already relegated Harrogate Railway continued with Saturday’s 5-0 loss at home to mid-table Trafford in First Division North.

Rail’s demotion to the NCE League was confirmed when third-bottom Ossett Town beat basement side New Mills on Thursday evening, leaving Saturday’s clash with Trafford as a dead rubber. But Trafford raced to an easy victory with first-half strikes from Connor Martin and Christopher Palmer followed by a goal each from Aaron Burns, Liam Davies and Mark Derbyshire after the break.

Ossett Town were felled 3-1 by fourth-placed visitors Glossop North End whose Jamie Rainford notched a first-half treble including two spot kicks. Steve Ridley notched a consolation for the hosts 12 minutes from time.

Mid-table Brighouse Town enjoyed a 3-1 win at Kendal Town. Alexander Newby gave Kendal a 16th-minute lead but Thomas Robinson equalised six minutes after the break. Ernest Boafo then but Brighouse ahead with his strike 15 minutes from time which was followed by Robinson’s second goal with five minutes left.

Farsley Celtic drew a 3-3 thriller at Mossley who were 2-0 up after nine minutes but then pegged back by Aiden Savory’s brace. Robert O’Brien gave Farsley the lead with 17 minutes to go but Douglas Carroll then levelled with ten minutes left.

Ossett Albion lost 1-0 at Radcliffe Borough whose Richard Smith hit a 40th-minute winner while Scarborough Athletic were beaten by the same score at home to Lancaster City whose Craig Carney netted.

In the Premier, Frickley Athletic enjoyed a 1-0 win at home to Barwell but the Blues cannot mathematically make the play-offs. John Cyrus hit a 22nd-minute winner.

In First Division South, fourth-bottom Goole AFC lost 2-1 at Sheffield, despite taking a ninth-minute lead through Nicholas Guest.


TADCASTER Albion strengthened their excellent NCE Premier Division title claims with Saturday’s 3-2 success at Thackley.

A Josh Greening double and Jonathan Greening strike put Albion in control but Thackley set up a nervy finale by netting twice through Thomas Dugdale.

Leaders Handsworth Parramore hammered visiting Armthorpe Welfare 5-0 but Albion are just two points behind and have two games in hand.

Elsewhere, Nostell Miners Wefare’s relegation was confirmed as they lost 2-1 at Albion Sports whose Ferdinand Annor bagged a last-minute winner.

Nostell looked on course for a potentially crucial victory when Steve Smith gave them a 37th-minute lead.

Garforth Town enjoyed a 6-1 hammering of visting Pontefract Collieries who sit third bottom. Curtly Martin-Wyatt hit a hat-trick for Garforth for whom a brace from Danny Harris and a Mark Simpson strike completed the half dozen. Chris Kamara hit the solitary response for Pontefract who are one point behind fourth-bottom Brigg Town but with a game in hand.

In the second tier, already promoted Division One champions Hemsworth Miners Welfare were upset 4-1 at Penistone Church, despite Nash Connolly giving Hemsworth the lead three minutes before the break.

Fourth-placed AFC Emley had to settle for a 1-1 draw at home to mid-table Eccleshill United who were only denied victory by Ashley Flynn’s last-minute penalty.

Luke Harrop’s 82nd-minute spot kick had Eccleshill on course for victory.

Elsewhere, 10th-placed Yorkshire Amateur enjoyed a 5-2 triumph at Teversal as Adam Shaw, Harrison Blakey, Dan Sheriffe, Matthew Thompson and Eder Ruiz all bagged a goal each. But sixth-bottom Glasshoughton Welfare lost 4-1 at home to Shirebrook Town with a Kingsley Wetherald penalty failing to save the hosts.

Ninth-placed Knaresborough Town were also floored 4-2 at Hallam despite netting through Fraser Lancaster and Paul Atkinson who gave them a 13th-minute lead.

Eleventh-placed Selby Town obliged 2-1 at Rossington Main.