Non-League football: Lions roaring after Forrest chops down Leamington

Guiseley's Danny Forrest.
Guiseley's Danny Forrest.
Have your say

Guiseley started the Vanarama North campaign with a 1-0 victory at Leamington after Danny Forrest scored with a long range corker.

The opening 45 minutes saw both sides contest an even battle with chances being created by both sets of strikers.

First Stefan Moore saw his effort well saved by Steve Drench and the home side looked dangerous with Lee Chilton having two efforts that required saving.

Guiseley, though, had chances of their own with Oli Johnson seeing his effort saved and then just before half-time Jake Lawlor saw his long range effort kept out by Leamington keeper Neil Collett.

The second half again saw both sides create chances with Adam Boyes narrowly firing wide for the visitors.

Then there was end-to-end action which proved to be the crucial moments as Leamington looked bound to score but Chilton decided to cross when a shot would have been the better option.

From the resulting clearance, Guiseley took the lead and the goal of the game was worth the wait as Forrest hit an effort from about 30 yards out which flew into the back of the net.

Leamington could have been awarded a penalty later on after an alleged handball but the referee did not award it.

Guiseley were then able to maintain possession during the final stages of the match and left the New Windmill Ground with all three points.

Lions manager Mark Bower beamed: “This result puts us in a good position going into the next two games.

“It’s always a difficult place to come to and I am pleased with the performance as well.”

Guiseley now host Stockport County tomorrow evening and Worcester City next Saturday.

Harrogate Town began their campaign with Saturday’s goalless draw at home to Tamworth.

Town now visit Bradford Park Avenue this evening with Avenue entering the fixture on the back of Saturday’s 3-3 draw at Gloucester City.

Matty James, Richard Marshall and Paul Walker scored for the Avenue in a thrilling clash on the opening day of the new season in Cheltenham.

Charlie Griffin scored twice for the home side, and captain Billy Jones netted a brilliant free-kick but the Avenue refused to be beaten and returned to West Yorkshire with a point.

Avenue boss John Deacey said: “It was an entertaining game, but our defending was poor.

“When you score three goals away from home you expect to win. Overall, I thought it was a fair result.”

North Ferriby United kicked off with a 1-0 success at Stockport on Saturday.

An early second-half goal from skipper Matt Wilson gave Ferriby all three points.

The Villagers are back in action at home to Hyde tomorrow evening.


LUKE Mangham’s late brace gave Garforth Town the perfect start through Saturday’s 3-1 success at home to Parkgate in the NCE Premier, writes LEE SOBOT.

Dominic Hackney fired Garforth into a 23rd-minute lead but Scott Lowe levelled from the penalty spot five minutes after the interval.

But Mangham then sent the home faithful wild with quickfire strikes after 83 and 86 minutes.

Thackley also began with a 3-1 victory with Mike Garrod at the double at Barton Town Old Boys. Garrod’s second strike was from the penalty spot with Mark Trueman also netting for Thackley.

Bridlington Town were 4-1 winners at Staveley Miners Welfare but Tadcaster Albion were defeated 2-1 by visiting Shaw Lane Aquaforce.

Carl Stewart’s 50th-minute leveller ultimately proved in vain.

Liversedge were hammered 6-2 by visiting Cleethorpes Town whose Marc Cooper bagged a treble. A Scott Driscoll penalty and Kieran Corley strike failed to save ‘Sedge.

Nostell Miners Welfare also lost 2-0 at Maltby Main whose Anthony Mackie notched a first-half double.

In Division One, AFC Emley romped to an opening day 8-1 win at Grimsby Borough.

Max Leonard led the way with a hat-trick supported by a goal each from Reuben Jerome, Michael Tunnacliffe, Doran Jordan, Nathan Perks and Sam Jerome.

Pontefract Collieries kicked-off with a 3-0 triumph against visiting Winterton Rangers. Kingsley Wetherald’s second-minute strike was followed by goals from Andrew Catton and Tom Copping.

And an 87th-minute winner from Asa Paradoe gave Selby Town a 1-0 success at new boys AFC Mansfield.

Knaresborough Town also obliged as they overcame visiting Hallam 2-1 though strikes from Graham Whitehead and Seb Carole.

Yorkshire Amateur were held to a goalless draw at Bottesford Town while Hemsworth Miners Welfare shared a 1-1 draw with visiting Teversal. After an 11th-minute opener from Teversal’s Aidey Harris, Nicholas Guest levelled 20 minutes after the break.

But Eccleshill United endured an opening day nightmare as they lost 6-0 at home to Louth Town.

NCE League action resumes tomorrow.

Grimsby Town manager Marcus Bignot shouts instructions during his time as Grimsby Town manager. Picture: Getty Images

Guiseley announce new management team