Non-League Football: Lions enjoy a winning day out at the seaside

Oli Johnson.
Oli Johnson.
Have your say

GUISELEY strengthened their Vanarama North play-off hopes after leaving Wales with a 3-1 success at Colwyn Bay on Saturday.

The Lions were then heartened to learn of sixth-placed Tamworth losing 1-0 at home to Gainsborough Trinity with fifth-placed Boston United also held to a goalless draw at Oxford City.

Saturday’s events leave Guiseley fourth, with a three-point gap back to the teams outside of the play-offs and with a game in hand.

Guiseley – who welcome third-bottom Stalybridge Celtic today – were looking to bounce back from Tuesday night’s 1-0 loss at Chorley and started the match strongly.

The Lions were soon ahead as midfielder Danny Boshell passed to striker Adam Boyes who kept his cool to shoot past Bay’s goalkeeper Chris Sanna.

Then, just under 10 minutes later, the away side doubled their lead with Boyes this time being the provider.

His knock-down found Oli Johnson who, like Boyes, showed composure to get his header on target and into the goal. Despite being in control for much of the first half, Danny Lowe still had to be in the right place to clear the ball away from danger and deny the home side a chance.

Guiseley’s last goal of the game was also their best when in the final quarter of the match, Wayne Brooksby scored with a brilliant free-kick from just outside of the area.

The home side then hit back within moments of conceding the third when Obi Anoruo notched a consolation.

Harrogate Town slipped to a last-gasp 2-1 loss at relegation-threatened Stalybridge – today’s visitors to Guiseley.

Celtic took the lead on 23 minutes when Aidan Chipperfield’s cross to the far post was headed in by Michael Powell.

Within five minutes, Town were level when the mercurial Jack Emmett was tripped in the area by Powell and Jordan Thewlis easily beat Ross Etheridge from the penalty spot. Town dominated the second half with Etheridge blocking well from Paul Clayton and Thewlis rattling the upright.

Yet Chippendale’s speculative late cross took a wicked deflection and looped over Peter Crook for Celtic’s 88th-minute winner.

Town sit 13th and are back in action today at home to ninth-placed FA Trophy winners North Ferriby United who were chinned 4-3 by visiting Chorley on Saturday. Bradford Park Avenue’s hosting of AFC Fylde was postponed due to waterlogging with 15th-placed Avenue back in action today at already relegated Hyde. In the Conference, eighth-placed FC Halifax Town return to action today at 12th-placed Lincoln City.


FARSLEY AFC’s Evo-Stik League First Division North play-off hopes were all but ended after Saturday’s 5-1 loss at third-placed Northwich Victoria.

Lewis Nightingale’s strike proved only a consolation for Farsley who are ninth and 11 points behind fifth-placed Spennymoor Town having played one game more.

Harrogate Railway moved to within a point of Farsley as a late Adam Baker double crowned a 4-0 win at home to Burscough.

Rail’ led 2-0 at the break through Malachi Farquharson and Matthew Heath.

Brighouse Town also enjoyed a 3-1 triumph at home to Kendal Town thanks to strikes from Ryan Hall and Leon Henry plus an Isaac Baldwin penalty.

But Connor Brunt’s late effort proved only a consolation for Ossett Albion who lost out 3-1 at Bamber Bridge.

Ossett Town’s hosting of Radcliffe Borough was abandoned after 85 minutes due to an injury to Radcliffe’s Reece Welsh.

Welsh broke his ankle and the game will be replayed on April 14.

Scarborough Athletic rescued a 2-2 draw from their trip to Prescot Cables through late strikes from Ryan Blott and Dean Lisles who netted in the last minute.

The comforts of home failed to aid Frickley Athletic in Saturday’s 2-0 loss to Premier Division visitors Ilkeston FC.

The game was goalless at the break but David Morgan gave second-placed Ilkeston a 49th-minute lead which was then doubled by Kane Richards 16 minutes later. Frickley sit fifth-bottom with five games remaining.

Whitby Town climbed to 15th with a 3-0 success at Witton Albion through goals from Kevin Burgess, James Brown and Dale Hopson.

In First Division South, Goole AFC fell to a 2-1 reverse in a mid-table battle at Norton United.

Norton led after 22 minutes through Sam Bradbury before Goole’s Jack Portman levelled five minutes after the break.

Norton’s Lee Cropper then hit a 70th-minute winner.


DANIEL Gray struck an 85th-minute winner as a 2-1 victory at Garforth Town maintained Tadcaster Albion’s slim NCE Premier title hopes.

Mid-table Garforth took a 27th-minute lead through Nick Black but Albion’s Daniel Brown levelled eight minutes later.

Gray’s winner keeps Tad’ 10 points behind leaders Worksop Town but with two games in hand. Worksop obliged 4-2 at Thackley for whom goals from Nick McNally and Joe Keane were in vain. Second-placed Shaw Lane must be seen as title favourites as they are only five points off top and with three games in hand. Shaw Lane beat visiting Heanor Town 3-0.

Elsewhere, an early Tom Jackson strike gave Liversedge a 1-0 win at Maltby Main while Billy Logan’s 88th-minute leveller handed Pickering Town a 1-1 draw at home to Athersley Recreation.

Bridlington Town also beat visiting Armthorpe Welfare 3-1 through an Eddy Birch penalty plus strikes from Will Waudby and Chris Adams.

Pontefract Collieries moved three points clear at the top of Division One with a 7-0 romp in front of 511 fans at Penistone Church. Aaron Moxam bagged a double with Luke Danville, Liam Radford, Andrew Catton, Philip Lindley and Mark Whitehouse all adding a goal each.

Second-placed AFC Emley were toppled 3-0 by fifth-placed title-chasers Hemsworth Miners Welfare who have games in hand. Nash Connolly, Dominic Blair and Nicholas Guest all struck in the second half.

Second-placed Clipstone stayed five points behind Ponte’ and with two games in hand with a 3-0 win at home to Rossington Main.

Knaresborough Town also obliged 4-0 at Worsbrough Bridge Athletic through goals from Ben Parkes, Colin Heath, Byron Littlefair and Graham Whitehead. But Josh Rosenstrauch’s strike failed to save Eccleshill United from a 2-1 loss at Bottesford Town.