Non-League football: Lions’ Cup hopes left all at sea by Town

Harrogate Town's James Walshaw.
Harrogate Town's James Walshaw.
Have your say

Guiseley were knocked out of the FA Cup at the fourth qualifying round stage after losing 3-0 to Vanarama Premier side Grimsby Town.

Guiseley made a bright start in both halves with Adam Boyes putting the Grimsby defence under pressure during the opening few minutes.

But the home side had the best chances during the opening 45 minutes with Scott Neilson producing a well-placed free-kick which forced Steve Drench into a fine save as he dived to keep the ball out of goal.

Just before half-time Lenell John-Lewis was denied a chance as Jake Lawlor got in the way and did well to head the ball out of play for a corner.

The start of the second half saw Guiseley have their best chance when a goalmouth scramble in the penalty area saw Ben Parker try to force the ball over the line.

Grimsby broke the deadlock just before the hour mark when Nathan Arnold was found in the area and headed home.

The substitute then turned provider when his one on one effort with Drench was saved but fell to John-Lewis who had the simple task of heading the ball into the goal. Soon after, John-Lewis added his second after being found by Arnold.

FC Halifax Town drew 0-0 with hosts Chorley and will face them at the Shay tomorrow evening for a place in the First Round Proper.

Harrogate Town bounced back to form in Conference North with a 5-0 thrashing of visiting Brackley Town. James Walshaw bagged a hat-trick for the hosts whose Craig Nelthorpe also netted a brace.

In the Evo-Stik League, Osett Town enjoyed a 1-0 victory at Prescot Cables thanks to a seventh-minute Jonah O’Reilly own goal.

But Farsley AFC slipped to a 3-1 loss at Padiham with a 71st-minute Matthew Dempsey strike proving only a consolation.

Harrogate Railway edged a 4-3 cracker at home to Droylsden, Malachi Farquharson struck an 81st-minute for Rail to support a home Nathan Cartman brace, either side of an Alex Frost own goal. Brighouse Town lost out 4-2 to visiting Clitheroe as Ernest Boafo’s double proved in vain.

Ossett Albion lost 1-0 at Northwich Victoria whose Aboubacar Sanogo hit a 27th-minute winner while Scarborough Athletic drew 3-3 at New Mills with an away James Beadle brace supporting a Gary Bradshaw strike.

In the Premier, Gavin Allott’s 73rd-minute penalty failed to save Frickley Athletic from a 2-1 loss at Stourbridge.

Whitby Town beat visiting Nantwich Town 3-1 thanks to a David McTiernan double and a Matthew Waters strike.

Goole AFC were undone 2-0 at Gresley FC in First Division South.

In the NCE League, Premier Division leaders Tadcaster Albion enjoyed a 2-0 victory at home to Garforth Town. Second-half goals from George Bissett and Carl Stewart sealed the victory.

Strikes from Anthony Hilton and Mitchell Pearson gave Liversedge a 2-1 win at Handsworth Parramore but Glasshoughton Welfare were trounced 6-1 by visiting Worksop Town. Kingsley Wetherald’s penalty was only a consolation for the hosts.

Nostell Miners Welfare earned a 2-2 draw with visiting Parkgate thanks to goals from Matthew Semley and Mark Simpson. But Thackley lost out 1-0 to visiting Cleethorpes Town whose Marc Cooper hit a 71st-minute winner.

Bridlington Town lost 2-1 at home to Heanor Town despite Craig Hogg’s 80th-minute strike.

Division One leaders AFC Emley triumphed 3-1 at Hall Road Rangers thanks to an Ashley Flynn pair and an Alex Hallam strike.

Second-placed Pontefract Collieries obliged 2-0 at Clipstone through a Mark Whitehouse brace.

And Eccleshill United enjoyed a 4-2 win at Grimsby Borough. A Viktor Balis double was followed by a Steve Rivera penalty and an Adam McCabe strike.

Danny Freeman, Carl Heard and Jahsai Donaldson all netted as Yorkshire Amateur beat visting Winterton Rangers 3-0.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare drew a 4-4 thriller with visting Penistone Church. Andrew Hayward, Nash Connolly, Cameron Clark and Robert Crapper all struck for the hosts. A Rich Williams strike gave Selby Town a 1-1 draw at Teversal but Knaresborough Town suffered a 2-1 reverse at home to AFC Mansfield. Liam Gray netted for Boro.

Danny Rowe.

More agony for Guiseley as Fylde grab late winner