Non-League Football: Harrogate struggling to get out of a seven-game slump

editorial image
Have your say

HARROGATE TOWN’S miserable run continued as yesterday’s 2-0 loss at home to mid-table Hednesford Town made it seven games without a victory.

Town have now dropped to 16th in Vanarama North but still five points above the drop zone though most of the teams below them have games in hand.

Hednesford drew first blood after 36 minutes through James Hurst and doubled their advantage three minutes before the interval through Ben Bailey.

Rhys Meynell then went close for Town after the interval and the hosts thought they had pulled a goal back through Jake Speight only for his effort to be ruled out for offside.

But despite five minutes added time, Town could not make the breakthrough.

Town return to action next Saturday at Brackley.

Second-bottom Bradford Park Avenue were also in Conference North action yesterday and they fell to a 4-3 loss in a humdinger at sixth-bottom Leamington.

Leamington raced into a second-minute lead through Stefan Moore before Stephan Morley doubled the advantage 21 minutes later.

But Chib Chilaka pulled a goal back for Avenue five minutes before the interval before adding his second just four minutes later to make it 2-2 at the break.

Yet the hosts went back in front five minutes after the interval through Moore’s second of the game with Jordan Goddard then making it 4-2 to Leamington five minutes after the hour.

An 80th-minute Delroy Gordon own goal put Avenue back in contention but the hosts held on for all three points from a seven-goal thriller. The result leaves Avenue five points adrift of safety, but with games in hand on the teams above them. Avenue are back in action next Sunday at 12th-placed Worcester City.

Guiseley’s fixture against Worcester at Aggborough was postponed yesterday due to a waterlogged pitch.

The third-placed Lions are due to return to action at home to fourth-placed Tamworth next Saturday.

Ninth-placed North Ferriby United were also in Conference North action yesterday as they drew 1-1 at third-bottom Gloucester City.

Harry White gave Gloucester a 33rd-minute lead but Nathan Jarman levelled for the hosts three minutes into second-half injury time.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath said: “It was definitely a hard-earned point. However, it was one that we deserved, especially with our second-half performance.

“We’ve got to give credit to the players. It’s been a very demanding couple of weeks and we have done well overall.”

Ferriby return to action next Saturday at home to Hyde in the FA Trophy.

In the Conference, FC Halifax Town are next in action at gone to Alfreton next Saturday, also in the FA Trophy.


Harrogate Railway maintained their First Division North play-off charge as a lightning fast start inspired Saturday’s 2-1 success at home to Ossett Albion.

Nathan Cartman (pictured) put Rail’ ahead after just three minutes with the lead doubled nine minutes later by Malachi Farquharson. Ross Hardaker hit back for Albion after 24 minutes but the damage had been done.

Fellow play-offs chasers Farsley AFC were dealt a blow in a surprise 2-1 loss at second-bottom New Mills.

Jake Pollard gave the hosts a 72nd-minute lead and while Adam Priestley levelled three minutes from time, Deren Bozkurt then struck a 90th-minute winner.

Ossett Town eased their relegation fears with a 1-0 win at home to basement boys Padiham. Steven Jeff bagged the winner on the stroke of half-time. But Brighouse Town were defeated 2-0 at leaders Darlington 1883 whose Gary Brown and David Dowson struck in the second half. Scarborough Athletic kept their hands on the last play-off spot as a James Beadle strike set up a 1-0 win at home to Spennymoor Town.

In the Premier Division, Frickley Athletic were not in action while Whitby Town were undone 3-0 at Workington. A second-half Andy Gascoigne strike gave Goole AFC a 1-1 draw at Rainworth Miners Welfare in First Division South.


Bridlington Town took a 1-1 draw at leaders Tadcaster Albion as Shaw Lane Aquaforce signalled their intent with an 11-0 drubbing of Maltby Main.

Chris Jenkinson gave Brid’ a 19th-minute lead in Saturday’s Premier Division tie but Daniel Gray levelled 12 minutes after the break.

Garforth Town did Taddy a favour by seeing off Worskop Town 1-0 – a result which dropped the visitors to fourth. Tim Robertson hit the winner 15 minutes from time.

Pickering Town moved 12th with a 4-1 success at home to fourth-bottom Retford United. A Robert Hawkes brace was supported by a goal each from Billy Logan and Jordan Outerbridge.

Liversedge jumped to 15th with a 2-0 win at home to Albion Sports thanks to second-half goals from Tom Jackson and Andrew Wood.

But second-bottom Glasshoughton Welfare were walloped 8-1 at sixth-placed Barton Town Old Boys whose Scott Phillips hit a hat-trick. Nathan Perks hot a second-half Glasshoughton consolation.

Thackley sit fifth-bottom after losing 5-1 at Handsworth Parramore who were 5-0 up by the time Nick McNally hit back at the death.

Division One leaders AFC Emley marched on with a 7-2 beating of eighth-placed visitors Louth Town. Ashley Flynn hit a hat-trick or Emley whose Max Leonard netted two penalties. A Jordan Walden own goal and Doran Jordan goal completed the tally.

Yorkshire Amateur were also in seventh heaven as a 7-4 win at Grimsby Borough put them seventh. Joel Hughes struck a treble for Ammers including one penalty with a Harrison Blakey double supported by efforts from Carl Heard and Craig Heard.

Pontefract Collieries sit sixth after goals from Aaron Moxam and Mark Whitehouse gave them a 2-0 win at home to Hall Road Rangers. And two goals from Chris Jackson and one from Dane Mortimer gave Selby Town a 3-2 verdict at Lincoln Moorland Railway.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare drew 3-3 with visiting Hallam with Robert Crapper and Nash Connolly hitting two and one respectively for the hosts.

And a Mitchell Hamilton double, including one spot kick, gave Knaresborough Town a 2-2 draw with visiting Worsbrough Bridge Athletic. Eccleshill United lost out 4-0 at Rossington Main.