Non-League football: Guiseley make it three out of three

Have your say

Guiseley made it three wins out of three in Vanarama North after defeating visiting Worcester City 1-0 on Saturday.

Guiseley started the game trying to take control but it was Worcester who created the first key chance of the match.

They should have taken the lead when Daniel Nti was found at the back post in the area from a corner but he aimed his header towards the ground and the ball bounced wide.

But Guiseley soon started creating chances of their own and Wayne Brooksby produced a low cross which Ben Parker got his foot to but the ball sailed over the bar.

Guiseley then took the lead on the 28th minute when Brooksby delivered a cross into the area and he found Danny Forrest who had the simple task of nodding the ball past the Worcester goalkeeper.

Then, on the stroke of half-time, Alex McQuade put the ball into the area and Adam Boyes had a free header but the ball was behind him and his effort went just wide.

The start of the second half almost saw Guiseley double their lead when Brooksby’s cross found Forrest in the area who chested the ball down.

On the half-volley, he fired towards goal but Nathan Vaughan was able to push the ball into the air and then collect it on the rebound.

But Worcester then had a key chance through striker Nick Wright who saw an effort hit the outside of the right-hand post.

During the latter stages. Guiseley had Gavin Rothery sent off for a second bookable offence, but the Lions were able to hold on for all three points.

Guiseley boss Mark Bower was pleased with his side’s performance and thought it was only the wind that interrupted his men’s efforts.

“I thought in the first half we played well and created chances,” said Bower.

“It was a good goal for Forrest, then it was the conditions that stopped us playing like we did in the opening 45 minutes.”

Harrogate Town are still seeking their first Conference North win of the new season following Saturday’s 3-2 loss at Hednesford Town,

Hednesford raced into a 2-0 lead through Danny Glover and Jamey Osborne but Town battled back through strikes from James Walshaw and Dominic Rowe.

However, the away side’s hard work was undone when Glover pounced to net his second eight minutes from time.

Bradford Park Avenue remain unbeaten after a 2-1 victory at home to Leaminton.

Jordan Goddard gave Leamington a 40th-minute lead but second half goals from Paul Walker and Scott Kerr leave Avenue in fifth.

FC Halifax Town sit top of the Conference after Saturday’s 3-0 win at home to Welling United.

A Marc Roberts strike got the ball rolling for Neil Aspin’s Shaymen before a Richard Peniket brace.


A BRACE from Jason Davis gave Garforth Town a 2-1 win at Newton Aycliffe in the FA Cup extra preliminary round.

Garforth fell behind after a fourth-minute Paul Broom strike but Davis levelled eight minutes before the break. Davis then struck again after 57 minutes.

Tadcaster Albion eased through with a 5-0 success at home to Barnoldswick Town. Carl Stewart bagged a hat-trick including a penalty with Callum Ward and Mitchell Hamilton adding a goal apiece.

Knaresborough Town were 2-1 winners at Glasshoughton Welfare. Welfare took a 21st-minute lead through Adam Walsh but strikes from Nick Radcliffe and Liam Tuck after 73 and 77 minutes turned the game on its head.

AFC Emley are through after yesterday’s 2-1 triumph at home to Ashton United. Early second half goals from Max Leonard and Reuben Jerome put Emley in control meaning an own goal from Sam Jerome was not disastrous.

Pickering Town, though, were trounced 6-0 by visiting Washington.

Eccleshill United’s adventure ended after a 4-1 loss at Jarrow Roofing Boldon CA. A Viktor Balis strike which at the time made it 1-1 was in vain for the visitors.

Pontefract Collieries went out 1-0 at North Shields whose Dean Holmes hit an 11th-minute winner.

Nostell Miners Welfare lost 2-1 to Stockport Sports at Hemsworth Miners Welfare.

Ben Halfacre’s second strike proved an 88th-minute winner for Sports who had been pegged back to 1-1 by Matthew Johnson’s 75th-minute penalty.

Liversedge lost 2-1 at Seaham Red Star despite taking a seventh-minute lead through Kieran Corley. Goals from Dean Nicholson and Sonny Andrews turned the tide. Thackley also led 1-0 at to home to Albion Sports through Patrick Maguire before Daniel Facey’s brace gave the visitors a last-gasp 2-1 victory.

In Division One of the NCE League, Hemsworth Miners Welfare obliged 4-2 at Dronfield Town. Away goals from Nash Connolly and Harry Viggars were followed by a Nicholas Guest double.

Harrison Blakey’s brace gave Yorkshire Amateur a 2-1 win at home to Rossington Main while Selby Town beat visiting Penistone Church 3-0. Daniel Gray’s double was followed by a Ryan Robinson strike.


NATHAN CARTMAN and Adam Baker both bagged doubles as Harrogate Railway shared a 5-5 cracker with visiting Mossley in First Division North.

A Steve Foster hat-trick was not enough to give the visitors victory with a Harry Coates strike supporting the doubles of Cartman, above, and Baker.

Ossett Town left it late before bagging a 2-1 win at home to Clitheroe. Josh Whiteley gave Town a 27th-minute lead but Liam Hutchinson equalised seven minutes after the break.

But Town had the last laugh as Chris Ovington popped up with a last-minute winner.

Brighouse Town also won 2-1 at home to Radcliffe Borough. First half goals from Thomas Matthews and Adam Field had them 2-0 up and a 90th-minute Chris Mason penalty was only a consolation.

Farsley AFC lost out 3-0 at Lancaster City. A first-half brace from Tom Kilfin – his first coming from the penalty spot – was followed by an Aaron Taylor strike four minutes after half-time.

Ossett Albion took a goalless draw from their trip to Prescot Cables.

In the Premier Division, Frickley Athletic shared a 1-1 draw with visiting Rushall Olympic. Frickley led through a 27th-minute Gavin Caines own goal but Jack Duggan levelled with six minutes to go. In First Division South, Goole AFC drew 0-0 at Kidsgrove Athletic.

Oli Johnson

Beck the toast of the Town after Trophy win