Non-League Football: Guiseley boss offers no excuses for defeat

Guiseley goalkeeper Steven Drench.
Guiseley goalkeeper Steven Drench.
Have your say

Guiseley were eliminated from the FA Trophy after a disappointing 2-0 defeat to Chorley at Nethermoor Park on Saturday.

During an even opening 20 minutes, both sides showed a willingness to attack, but Chorley started to grow more into the game with Guiseley keeper Steven Drench doing well to palm away a James Dean effort.

Soon after, though, Guiseley were behind and through a controversial incident when Darren Stephenson converted.

With both Adam Mather and Jack Lynch making contact with the ball while Drench tried to collect, Stephenson was in an offside position and was blocking him. But while the linesman flagged for offside, after talking with referee Tom Bramhall, the goal was awarded.

And just moments later it was 2-0 with Chris Simms left unmarked to tap in a Stephenson cross.

It then should have been three with Ryan Toulson making a dramatic clearance off the line in added time at the end of the first half.

Things then went from bad to worse for Guiseley as full-back Toulson left the field with a nasty knee injury and was stretchered off and taken straight to hospital.

The second half saw Guiseley try and grab a goal back but they failed to get a shot on target as Chorley were happy to play on the counter attack.

Any hope Guiseley had of getting back into the game evaporated when Adam Boyes was sent off for allegedly kicking out at a Chorley player.

With moments to go Ben Parker almost got a goal back when his attempted cross was fired towards goal and hit the crossbar.

Guiseley manager Mark Bower was left frustrated with the result and said: “We just never got going. We caused them no problems and they deserve their win. We were second best for most of the game. Unfortunately we got what we deserved.”

Guiseley will want to forget about this performance and result and now focus on the Vanarama North where they are currently second in the table.

The Lions are back in action on Saturday at home to fifth-bottom Leamington.

Harrogate Town were also dumped out of the FA Trophy after Saturday’s 4-0 loss at FC United of Manchester.

Dean Stott was at the double for the hosts with his first goal coming after just seven minutes.

Stott then bagged his second from the penalty spot 15 minutes later and United were 3-0 up through Matthew Wolfenden three minutes after the interval.

In front of a home gate of 907 spectators, Greg Daniels then made it 4-0 with eight minutes to go. Town boss Simon Weaver said: “It was disappointing to lose and go out of the Trophy.

“Confidence is low and a few lads aren’t showing for the ball and therefore we are not retaining the ball at all well.”

Town, who sit 14th in Vanarama North, return to league action on Saturday at 12th-placed Tamworth.

Bradford Park Avenue’s eagerly-waited FA Trophy hosting of Kidderminster Harriers was postponed and the match will now take place tonight with a 7.45pm kick-off.

After initially passing an 8am pitch inspection, on arrival the match officials were immediately concerned with the area on the pitch closest to the dressing rooms and the game was called off not long after the Kidderminster players and officials arrived.

FC Halifax Town’s FA Trophy trip to Worcester City was also frozen off on Saturday.

A new date for the game has yet to be confirmed with ninth-placed Halifax due to welcome second-bottom Nuneaton in the Conference next Saturday.


ONLY six games survived the weather in the NCE League but there was no saving Glasshoughton Welfare from a 10-0 Premier hiding at title-chasing Worksop Town.

Connor Sellars bagged a first-half hat-trick for Worksop who fired a strong warning to title rivals and leaders Tadcaster Albion.

Tadcaster’s trip to Retford United was postponed due to a frozen pitch and Worksop closed the gap at the top to four points with Mitch Husbands also netting a treble completed by his 86th-minute penalty.

Conor Higginson and Chris Whincop both added doubles for the hosts in front of a gate of 338 fans.

Glasshoughton remain footed to the foot of the division with nine points from 22 games.

Elsewhere in the Premier, Bridlington Town moved sixth with a 1-0 success at home to Handsworth Parramore.

Ombeni Ruhanduka grabbed the only goal of the game four minutes before the interval.

Title-chasing Heanor Town enjoyed a 1-0 win at home to Maltby Main thanks to a Kieran Wells winner 13 minutes from the end.

Heanor sit fourth – eight points behind leaders Albion but with a game in hand.

Athersley Recreation also obliged 1-0 at fellow mid-table side Cleethorpes Town.

Just two games survived the elements in Division One with 12th-placed Knaresborough Town eclipsed 3-2 at sixth-placed Shirebrook Town.

Shirebrook raced into a 2-0 lead through a Jamie York double but Knaresborough’s Mitchell Hamilton and Ben Parkes restored parity with strikes after the break.

Shirebrook’s Craig Getliff then hit a 75th-minute winner.

Tenth-placed Yorkshire Amateur were felled 5-2 by visiting Louth Town who are now up to fifth.

A full programme of NCE League action resumes on Saturday.


A CONNOR Bower hat-trick proved all in vain for Ossett Albion as they were dramatically downed 5-3 at Droylsden on Saturday in the Evo-Stik League First Division North.

Bower’s 17th-minute penalty gave Albion an early advantage but Adam Morning levelled just two minutes later.

Bower restored Albion’s lead on the stroke of half-time and the away side looked destined for a fine victory when Bower completed his hat-trick on the hour.

But Ben Hampson pulled a goal back for the Bloods just four minutes later before Andrew Fowler made it 3-3 with 18 minutes remaining. The hosts then upped the ante further and went ahead for the first time through Ben Hampson’s strike one minute from time. Morning then bagged his second and Droylsden’s fifth at the death.

Harrogate Railway fared much better with a 3-0 win at home to New Mills.

All of the goals came in the second half at Station View with Nathan Cartman netting the first four minutes after the break.

Malachi Farquharson made it 2-0 on 82 minutes with Stephen Bromley then getting in on the act three minutes later.

Brighouse Town, though, slipped to a 2-1 loss in a 2pm kick-off at Burscough.

Leon Henry gave Brighouse a 59th-minute lead but Phil Quirk equalised 10 minutes later before adding his second with nine minutes to go.

Elsewhere, Scarborough Athletic were 2-1 winners at Lancaster City thanks to a Ryan Williams winner three minutes from time.

Alex Peterson had given the Seadogs a second-minute lead which was cancelled out by Samuel Bailey 11 minutes from time.

Ossett Town’s hosting of Prescot Cables was postponed due to waterlogging while Farsley AFC were frozen off at Clitheroe.

Goole AFC were also frozen off at Tividale in First Division South, as were Frickley Athletic at Belper Town in the Premier.

Whitby Town were beaten 4-0 at leaders Skelmersdale United in the Premier after two strikes from Connor McCarthy plus one each from James Short and Danny Mitchley.

Farsley Celtic manager Adam Lakeland.

Tough test at Throstle Nest is expected by Farsley Celtic boss