Non-league football: Boyes fires Lions into play-off showdown

Adam Boyes celebrates his second goal against Chorley with Danny Boshell.
Adam Boyes celebrates his second goal against Chorley with Danny Boshell.
Have your say

Guiseley secured a place in the Vanarama North play-offs after Saturday’s 2-1 defeat of Chorley at Nethermoor Park – with both sides on show now assured of a place in the top five.

Guiseley created the first real chance when defender Danny Hall was found at the back post and his effort on the volley was cleared off the line. But the Lions were soon ahead when striker Adam Boyes got on the scoresheet when a looping cross dropped towards him and he fired home.

After this goal the away side started to create chances of their own and it was former Halifax Town forward James Dean who was causing Guiseley problems.

He equalised with a well-placed header when Andy Teague’s cross found him in the area. But Guiseley started the second 45 minutes well and were soon back in the lead when Boyes turned on the ball well and produced an effort which flew into the top corner.

Boyes nearly got his hat-trick after his snap shot effort just went wide and late on Chorley substitute Chris Almond hit an effort which lacked power when he was well positioned.

Drench saved and Guiseley gained the valuable victory, to the delight of boss Mark Bower who said: “I thought we were very good. We created good chances, looked bright and sharp. We have no preference on who we now play in the play-offs.”

Fourth-placed Guiseley return to action tomorrow night at home to mid-table North Ferriby United ahead of their regular season finale on Saturday at sixth-placed Oxford City who can no longer make the play-offs.

Harrogate Town’s final home match of the season ended in a 4-1 defeat to title contenders AFC Fylde.

Town took an early lead when James Walshaw scored with a free-kick but two goals in first half stoppage time put Fylde in command. Danny Rowe headed in Richie Allan’s cross before seconds later Lloyd McGoldrick tapped in from close range. Rowe blasted home a 51st-minute penalty, before completing his hat-trick with a shot inside the near post. Town drop to 14th and end their season at Stockport on Saturday.

Bradford Park Avenue are safe but dropped to 17th after a 1-0 loss at home to mid-table Worcester City whose Jay Denny hit a 27th-minute winner. Avenue visit relegation-battling Stalybridge Celtic tomorrow before finishing off on Saturday at North Ferriby United.

In the Conference, FC Halifax Town were sunk 2-0 by fellow mid-table visitors Torquay United who struck after the break through John Campbell and Kadell Daniel. The Shaymen end their season next Saturday at seventh-placed Woking.


OSSETT Albion stayed above local rivals Ossett Town with a fine 3-0 success at Warrington Town in First Division North.

Adam Muller gave Albion a 35th-minute lead that was added to by Connor Brunt’s strike 16 minutes from time and a Nicholas Matthews effort four minutes before the game’s conclusion.

Ossett Town left it late before recording a 2-0 triumph at home to Droylsden. Ross Armstrong broke the deadlock after 70 minutes with Nathan Curtis making sure of all three points with his effort nine minutes later.

Harrogate Railway left it late before snatching a 2-2 draw at high-flying Northwich Victoria. Malachi Farquharson put Rail’ ahead after 55 minutes but home efforts from Aboubacar Sanogo and Josh Amis after 70 and 77 minutes respectively put the third-placed side back in front. Rail’s Farquharson then bagged his second of the game through a last-minute leveller.

Farsley AFC’s recent woes continued in a 3-2 loss at home to Kendal Town. Farsley were 2-1 up through a brace from Andrew Welsh. Brighouse Town drew 0-0 at Prescot Cables while Scarborough Athletic hammered visiting Padiham 6-1 with doubles from Ryan Blott and Gary Bradshaw plus strikes from Paul Robson and Alex Metcalfe.

Victory at Ramsbottom United tomorrow would make Frickley Athletic safe from Premier Division relegation after Stamford and Marine both failed to overtake the Blues on Saturday.

Third-bottom Marine could only draw 2-2 at home to Belper Town while fourth-bottom Stamford were felled 3-1 at FC United of Manchester. Frickley were not in action but three points will make them safe ahead of tomorrow’s trip to Ramsbottom and Saturday’s finale at home to third-placed Curzon Ashton.

Elsewhere, Whitby Town moved 13th with a 2-0 success at home to Ashton United. Steven Snaith and Dale Hopson both struck in the second half.

In First Division South, Goole AFC were defeated 1-0 by visiting Stafford Rangers whose Stanley Mugisha bagged a 35th-minute winner.


TADCASTER Albion breathed new life into their NCE Premier Division title chase with Saturday’s 4-1 win at Retford United as leaders Shaw Lane Aquaforce were held to a goalless draw at Barton Town Old Boys.

Josh Greening gave Albion a 28th-minute lead before Jordan Good levelled just five minutes later. But Albion then scored three times in the last 16 minutes with a Liam Ormsby penalty and David Brown strike followed by Greening’s second of the game. Third-placed Albion trail Shaw Lane by four points with four games left to play. Second-place Worksop Town lost 1-0 at Handsworth Parramore and are a point above Tad’ but they have played a game more.

Elsewhere, a late Mike Garrod penalty have Thackley a 1-0 success at home to Parkgate while third-bottom Liversedge drew 0-0 at Staveley Miners Welfare. Jamie Patterson was on target for Pickering Town who drew 1-1 with visiting Armthorpe Welfare but bottom side Glasshoughton Welfare were blitzed 8-0 by visiting Heanor Town.

Bridlington Town obliged 3-0 at Nostell Miners Welfare through a Craig Hogg brace and Ombeni Ruhanduka strike.

Pontefract Collieries still lead Division One after a 7-0 romp at Lincoln Moorlands Railway. Aaron Moxam’s double was supported by a goal each from Mark Whitehouse, Luke Danville, Matthew Marsden, Josh Corbett and Craig Rouse.

AFC Emley’s bid was ended by a 2-1 loss at home to Selby Town as goals from Tom Chamberlain and Jamie Forrester outweighed an early Max Leonard penalty. Hemsworth Miners Welfare won 2-1 at home to Eccleshill United with strikes from Dominic Blair and Sam Colbear in the face of an Ishmael Mills strike. Goals from Colin Heath and Graham Whitehead gave Knaresborough Town a 2-1 win at home to Rossington Main while Harrison Blakey’s strike gave Yorkshire Amateur a 1-0 triumph at home to Worsbrough Bridge Athletic.