Non-league football: Bower praises character of his side after Ellis sees red

Guiseley manager Mark Bower.
Guiseley manager Mark Bower.
Have your say

GUISELEY boss Mark Bower praised his side’s character in grafting out a point at Hednesford, despite playing with ten men for most of the second half.

The Lions had looked on course for a fine three points after Adam Boyes gave them the lead against the Pitmen, only for sub Marvin Robinson to fire a late leveller in the 1-1 draw.

The visitors saw Danny Ellis dismissed early in the second half, but Bower’s troops shrugged off the setback superbly in a laudable showing, although the Nethermoor chief admitted that he felt a bit ‘robbed’ that his side did not bag victory.

Bower said: “I was delighted with the performance.

“We got used to their formation and the red card changes the game – but in the end we feel robbed that we are only leaving here with one point.”

The first half saw Guiseley create the better chances with both Josh Wilson and Wayne Brooksby going close with the former seeing his free-kick saved and the latter shooting just wide.

But Guiseley started the second half in the worst possible way with Ellis being sent off after tangling with a Hednesford player, with the referee deeming him to be the last man and giving him his marching orders.

Despite being a man down, Guiseley were able to maintain possession and made it difficult for the hosts to create chances.

Guiseley took the lead with just over a quarter of an hour left of the match, when Boyes was able to turn in the edge of the area and fire a shot home.

Hednesford pushed men forward in search of the equaliser while Guiseley dug in and it looked like the away side would get the win, only for Hednesford to level right at the death with nearly all of injury time played.

It was Robinson who fired past a number of Guiseley players in the area to restore parity.

Harrogate Town had a truly dismal day at the office against bogey side Solihull Moors, who romped to a 4-0 success at the CNG Stadium.

To compound matters, ex-Leeds midfielder Simon Lenighan was dismissed in the first period for a tackle on Michael Nottingham, with the red card incensing many Town players.

Daryl Knights fired home a rebound on 14 minutes to give Moors the lead and ex-Rotherham United striker Darren Byfield added a second nine minutes later.

Lenighan was then red-carded and Ryan Beswick added a third just before the break with Omar Bogle netting a fourth after the interval.

Ryan Qualter netted at both ends as Bradford Park Avenue lost 3-2 at Lowestoft, with Brad Barraclough also netting for John Deacey’s side.

In the Conference Premier, FC Halifax Town drew a blank for the first time this term in a 2-0 loss at Forest Green, whose first-half scorers were James Norwood and Jon Parkin.


THERE was derby delight for Farsley AFC, who vanquished Frickley 2-1 to book their place in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup.

The hosts went into the lead on 35 minutes after Danny South put through his own net and Rob O’Brien added a second just before the break. Gavin Allott netted a stoppage-time consolation for the Blues.

Harrogate Railway also progressed, courtesy of a 3-1 verdict against visiting Clitheroe, who actually took the lead just before the break through Zach Clark. Lamin Colley levelled instantly and goals early in the second half from Fatlum Ibrahimi and Nathan Cartman settled proceedings.

Several other sides saw their cup dreams dashed, with Brighouse Town bowing out in cruel fashion in a 2-1 home loss to Ashton United.

Ryan Hall put Town in front on 69 minutes, but Matt Chadwick levelled seven minutes later and Ashley Young netted a last-gasp winner.

Ossett Albion crashed 4-0 at home to Droylsden, for whom Ciaran Kilheeney fired a double and Ossett Town also exited after a 2-1 loss at Marine, Josh Davies on target for the Ingfielders.

Shildon and Whitby must try again after a 1-1 draw, Liam Shepherd scoring for the Seasiders.

In the First Division South, Andy Gascoigne and Muhammed Sabo netted in Goole’s 2-0 win over Stocksbridge Park Steels.


A SUPERB hat-trick in the space of 14 second-half minutes from Josh Greening enabled Tadcaster Albion to move up to fifth in the Premier Division after a 3-0 win at Handsworth Parramore.

Going into the final quarter, the game was seemingly destined to end in a stalemate, only for Greening to break the deadlock on 72 minutes and then add another couple of goals.

Also enjoying themselves on the road were Liversedge, who claimed their first win of the season, with Andrew Wood’s 40th-minute strike giving them a 1-0 win at Barton Town.

Curtly Martin-Wyatt’s stoppage-time goal rescued a point for Garforth, who drew 2-2 at home to Nostell, for whom Danny Critchlow struck twice.

Nick Black also netted for the Miners, who fell behind twice in the match.

Albion Sports were denied at the death in a 3-2 reverse at leaders Heanor, for whom Nathan Benger fired a 90th-minute winner.

Asif Hussain and Daniel Facey were on the scoresheet for Sports.

Struggling Glasshoughton went down 2-0 at home to Athersley Rec, whose first-half scorers were Daniel Joynes and Daniel Monfredi, while Thackley drew 1-1 with Pickering.

Mark Trueman put the Dennyfielders ahead early on with Sam Calvert levelling for the Picks.

AFC Emley are the new leaders in Division One after a 1-0 victory at Lincoln Moorlands Railway.

Previous frontrunners Hemsworth dropped to second after a 0-0 draw at Bottesford Town.

First-half goals from Jamie Forrester and Dan Bunch enabled Selby Town to move up to ninth spot after a 2-1 home success over Hall Road Rangers, whose scorer was Leighton Matthewson.

Another side on the rise are Pontefract Colls, up to third after a 1-0 win at Teversal, courtesy of Matthew Marsden’s first-half strike.

Joel Hughes netted a first-half brace with Roy Stamer also on target as Yorkshire Amateur moved up to mid-table after a 3-1 triumph over visiting AFC Mansfield.

Visiting scorer was Carl Haslam.

Jordan Hendrie and John Rogers scored in Eccleshill’s 2-1 win over Worsbrough Bridge.

Grimsby Town manager Marcus Bignot shouts instructions during his time as Grimsby Town manager. Picture: Getty Images

Guiseley announce new management team