Non-League football: Bower is ‘haunted’ by leaders’ response

Guiseley's Steven Drench.
Guiseley's Steven Drench.
Have your say

Guiseley slipped to eighth in Conference North after Saturday’s 1-0 loss at leaders Barrow.

Despite a number of injuries which included Adam Boyes missing out, Guiseley started the brighter and created a number of chances.

First Danny Lowe headed just wide before Nicky Boshell’s 20-yard effort clipped the top of the bar and then Oli Johnson had an effort deflected just over the bar.

But after seeing the away side take control for the opening quarter of the match, Barrow started to create chances of their own and Johnny Gorman shot just wide.

Nevertheless, it looked like the game would be a scoreless at the break but with just a minute to go Andy Cook tapped the ball into the back of the net to give the home side the lead.

The start of the second half saw Barrow up their attacking performance with Jason Walker forcing keeper Steve Drench into a good save as he was able to turn the effort around the post.

Cook then nearly doubled his goals tally for the day with a header which was well saved by Drench. During the final ten minutes Guiseley continued their search for an equaliser but the Lions were unable to breakthrough the home side’s defences.

Danny Boshell hit a free-kick wide and the away side pushed forward late on but were unable to create a clear cut chance in the final minutes.

Despite their efforts, the Lions had to return back to Yorkshire empty handed and manager Mark Bower felt his side’s strong start deserved better.

“I’m very disappointed,” he said.

“If we had been 3-0 up after 20 minutes I don’t think they could have argued.

“We played some really good stuff for half an hour and played as well as we have since I took the job on.

“Then you’re thinking is this going to come back and haunt us and then it did.”

Guiseley are back in action next Saturday at home to Lowestoft Town.

Harrogate Town’s resurgence continued on Saturday with a 2-1 defeat of visiting Stockport County who were responsible for knocking Town out of the FA Cup.

Town took a 14th-minute lead through James Walshaw and the advantage was doubled nine minutes after the break by Lloyd Kerry.

The visitors ensured a nervy finale when Kristian Dennis struck with six minutes remaining but Town held on to bag all three points.

Town are on their travels next Saturday at Gloucester City.

Bradford Park Avenue suffered their eighth league defeat of the season as Tamworth secured a 4-2 success at the Horsfall. Two strikes from Brendon Daniels, a goal from Reece Styche and a screamer from Kayden Jackson put the Lambs 3-1 up at the break.

Chib Chilaka had put Avenue back on level terms after 17 minutes, but three goals in eight minutes meant Tamworth had the game all but won at half-time. Ryan Qualter pulled one back in the second half.

Avenue boss John Deacey said: “We’ve lost the game in the first half. You can’t defend like that and expect to win any game. I thought we took the game to them completely in the second half. If we’d have got another, maybe it wouldn’t have been unjust but defending like that you lose it in the first half.”

Avenue go to Colwyn Bay next Saturday.

FC Halifax Town dropped to third in the Conference after Saturday’s goalless draw at Wrexham. Town return to action on Sunday at home to Bradford City in the FA Cup first round.


OSSETT TOWN will face a Tuesday night replay at Trafford after Saturday’s gutsy 2-2 draw in the FA Trophy first qualifying round.

Trafford raced into a 2-0 lead through a first-half Shelton Payne strike which was swiftly followed by a Grant Allott own goal.

But two strikes from Chris Wood (pictured) who netted after 51 and 60 minutes booked tomorrow night’s replay.

Goole AFC also moved through to the next round with a 4-2 success at Prescot Cables.

Andy Gascoigne hit a brace including one penalty with Jordan Thewlis and Bradley Grayson also netting.

Goals from Sam Corlett and Mason Ryan failed to save the hosts.

But Farsley AFC suffered a 2-0 exit at home to Blyth Spartans whose Damen Mullen was at the double.

Frickley Athletic also lost 2-0 at home to Marine whose Andrew Fowler and Christian Langos netted while Scarborough Athletic were felled 4-0 by visiting Darlington 1883.

Liam Hatch, Stephen Thompson, Amar Purewal and Graeme Armstrong all netted for the visitors in a game watched by 715 spectators.

Whitby Town lost 2-1 at home to Ramsbottom United with David McTiernan’s levelling matters only for Jon Robinson to bag a 90th-minute winner.

In the Evo-Stik League First Division North, relegation battling Ossett Albion twice fought back to seal a 2-2 draw at home to Lancaster City.

City led twice through a Steven Nicholson own goal and Jacob Davis but Kane Reece and Ross Hardaker hit back for the hosts.

Brighouse Town took a 1-1 draw from their trip to Harrogate Railway.

Brighouse grabbed a seventh-minute lead through Tyrone Gay but Luke Dean levelled for Rail’ seven minutes before the break.


TADCASTER ALBION produced a fine comeback as a 3-2 success at Winsford United booked their place in today’s draw for the FA Vase second round.

Albion fell behind after 11 minutes to a Ryan Matthews strike but Carl Stewart levelled three minutes before the break.

Strikes from George Bissett and Josh Greening on 78 and 80 minutes then put Tad’ in control before Matthew Turney hit back for the hosts in the last minute.

NCE League Division One leaders AFC Emley bowed out following a 4-2 loss at North Shields.

Emley strikes from Jordan Townend and Sam Jerome proved in vain.

Selby Town also lost 4-2 at home to Seaham Red Star with a Matthew Turnbull strike and own goal failing to save Selby.

Yorkshire Amateur led through Craig Heard at St Helens Town but went on to lose 3-1.

In the NCE Premier, Pickering Town salvaged a 3-3 draw at Athersley Recreation thanks to Chris Batchelor’s last-minute leveller. Pickering’s Lewis Taylor and Joel Ramm also netted.

Liversedge enjoyed a 4-2 win at home to Maltby Main thanks to an own goal plus strikes from Andrew Wood, Eli Hey and Kieran Corley.

Thackley were felled 3-1 by visiting Bridlington Town for whom a Tyler Collishaw brace was supported by Eddy Birch’s strike.

Garforth Town suffered a dramatic 2-1 loss at home to Staveley Miners Welfare who struck twice in injury time. Tawanda Rupere’s 85th-minute strike had Garforth on course for victory. Glasshoughton Welfare lost 3-2 at Armthorpe Welfare despite netting through Matthew Cressey and Kingsley Wetherald.

In Division One, Eccleshill United romped to a 4-0 win at Lincoln Moorlands Railway. Goals from Doug Stevenson, Steve Rivera, a Matt Burrus penalty and an own goal saw them oblige.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare won 3-1 at Pontefract Collieries with goals from Nicholas Guest, Jack Steers and Nash Connolly. Tom Copping struck for Ponte. But Knaresborough Town lost 3-1 at Penistone Church, netting through a Callum Lee own goal.

Grimsby Town manager Marcus Bignot shouts instructions during his time as Grimsby Town manager. Picture: Getty Images

Guiseley announce new management team