Non-League Football: Bower hails best of the season by Guiseley

Brackley Town goalkeeper Dean Snedker punches the ball clear off the head of Guiseley's Adam Boyes.
Brackley Town goalkeeper Dean Snedker punches the ball clear off the head of Guiseley's Adam Boyes.
Have your say

MARK BOWER was left to salute a season-best showing from Guiseley, who came from behind impressively to sink Brackley Town 3-1 at Nethermoor.

The Lions, who played on Wednesday and were without several players, were indebted to a key contribution from substitute Oli Johnson, who made the difference when he came on.

Johnson put Guiseley on terms shortly after entering the fray and played a part in the hosts’ killer third from the spot, when he was brought down.

On the victory, Bower, whose side have jumped up to third spot in the table, said: “I think this is the best win of the season for us, because of the circumstances of it and the fact we have come back from behind is nice as well.”

Guiseley created several half chances in the first half, but it was the visitors who carved out the better opportunities.

Brackley blew a golden chance to take the lead when former Chelsea defender Frank Sinclair was afforded a free header, but his effort went wide.

Then on the counter-attack, Town went in front when Greg Kaziboni broke from his own half and picked out Roddy Collins, who slotted the ball past Steve Drench to give the visitors an interval lead.

Guiseley tried to come out firing in the second half, but were again struggling to create the clear cut chances they needed.

In fact, Brackley were unlucky not to get a second when Kaziboni found David Moyo, whose back post header was well saved by Drench.

With Guiseley needing to get back in the match, Bower rolled the dice and took off defender Danny Hall for an attacker in Johnson.

And just 20 seconds after coming on, Johnson robbed the ball off Sinclair and showed good pace by getting into the area and then delivering a composed finish into the top corner.

Then a minute later, the turnaround was completed when Adam Boyes’s pass fell to Nicky Boshell who slotted the ball into the goal.

Guiseley were guaranteed the three points when Johnson was caught in the area late into the match and Nicky Boshell converted a superb penalty.

Harrogate Town were denied three points by a last-gasp goal from rock-bottom hosts Hyde in a 1-1 draw at Ewen Fields.

Town took the lead on 37 minutes when Ryan Fallowfield’s deflected shot fell nicely for Dan Clayton, who tucked the ball home.

But plucky Hyde levelled in stoppage time when Erike Sousa’s cross wasn’t dealt with and Perry Ng nipped in to level.

Ryan Qualter’s first-half header earned Bradford Park Avenue a precious 1-0 win over fellow strugglers Stalybridge Celtic.


FRICKLEY ATHLETIC shot themselves in the foot en route to a frustrating 3-2 Evo-Stik Premier home loss to Witton.

The Blues led through Reece Thompson’s early header, but a deflected shot from Daniel Andrews drew Witton level.

The game swung in Witton’s favour either side of half-time with Luke Hinsley sent off for allegedly spitting before Andrews struck his second.

Gavin Allott missed a 52nd-minute penalty for Blues with Alex Titchiner making it 3-1 after 66 minutes – Thompson hitting a late consolation.

Two spectacular late strikes from Lee Brown and Ellis Harrison thwarted FC Halifax, who drew 2-2 with Conference leaders Bristol Rovers.

The Shaymen were 2-0 up at the break, courtesy of Louis Maynard and Marc Roberts.

A FIRST-HALF double from Connor Bower inflicted a damaging blow to the play-off hopes of Farsley AFC, who lost 2-1 in their Evo-Stik First North derby against Ossett Albion at Dimple Wells.

Bower struck on 13 and 41 minutes for the hosts and despite Michael Aspin pulling one back for Farsley, the afternoon belonged to Albion, who claimed their third win in five outings.

It was also a great day for John Reed’s Ossett Town, with goals in the final 20 minutes from Shelton Payne – his 20th of the season – and Joe Brennan seeing them prevail 2-0 at Lancaster City.

Meanwhile, Malachi Farquharson struck two second-half goals as Harrogate Railway beat Padiham 2-0.

Brighouse Town had to weather a second-half rally from Mossley en route to a 3-2 home success over Mossley.

Town looked home and hosed at 3-0 in front, Isaac Baldwin bagging a brace either side of half-time after Ernest Boafo put the hosts 1-0 up early on. But a double from Porya Ahmadi set up a tense finale.

Thomas Corner fired a goal in each half as Scarborough Athletic beat Radcliffe 2-0.

Liam Schofield’s penalty was scant consolation for Goole, thrashed 4-1 at Spalding in the First Division South.


GLASSHOUGHTON WELFARE’S torrid Northern Vounties East League Premier campaign hit new heights in a 9-2 routing at Albion Sports.

Amazingly, rock-bottom Welfare led 2-0 after 26 minutes through goals from Nathan Perks and Kingsley Wetherald.

But it was the prelude to a home onslaught, with Daniel Facey hitting a treble for Sports.

A bad week got worse for Tadcaster Albion, now seven points behind leaders Worksop Town after dropping points in a 1-1 draw at Pickering.

Tom Claisse hit a 66th-minute leveller for Taddy, after Billy Logan put Pikes in front.

Liversedge went down to a 2-1 loss to Thackley, while Nostell MW fired three late goals at Cleethorpes, but it wasn’t enough as the hosts won 5-3.

Jack Fisher and Rob Bordman (2) netted for Nostell, with Brody Robertson firing a hat-trick for the hosts.

Garforth lost 1-0 at home to Handsworth Parramore, while in Division One, Pontefract Colls have taken over at the summit after a 5-2 home success over Grimsby Borough.

Aaron Moxam and Liam Radford were at the double for Colls, with Andrew Catton hitting a late fifth for the side, who trailed 2-1 at the break.

Previous leaders AFC Emley slipped up 4-2 at Rossington, for whom Cameron Johnson struck twice with the hosts netting two late goals.

Scorers for Emley, 2-0 down at the break, were Josh Ingham and Sam Jerome.

Nash Connolly’s goal midway through the second half gave Hemsworth a 1-0 victory at Lincoln Moorlands, while Knaresborough crashed 3-0 at home to Louth, Jamie Coulson plundering a first-half double.

Charlie Flaherty’s brace saw Eccleshill to sink visiting Yorkshire Amateur – afforded a late consolation from Harrison Blakey – 2-1.

Matthew Turnbull put Selby ahead early on against Worsbrough Bridge, but the visitors recovered to win 2-1.