Non-League football: Boss Bower pleased to earn a point from trip

Alex Johnson.
Alex Johnson.
Have your say

Guiseley’s long trip south to Lowestoft Town resulted in a goalless draw in Vanarama North.

The outcome keeps Guiseley third and four points clear of Hednesford United who now occupy sixth.

Lowestoft’s Jack Ainsley had the opening chance when his shot from outside the area was saved well by Guiseley ‘keeper Steve Drench.

Just moments later, the away side’s striker Alex Johnson worked his way into the penalty area and found enough room to get a powerful shot away that was on target but custodian Ashlee Jones tipped the ball over the bar.

Lowestoft’s best chance of the second half fell to Jake Reed who was able to get the ball past Drench as he rounded him but the angle proved too tight and his shot hit the post.

Guiseley midfielder Danny Boshell then hit a powerful effort from 20 yards out which was well saved by Jones and the Lions’ last chance fell to Andy Holdsworth whose free-kick took a deflection and went just past the post.

Guiseley manager Mark Bower said: “I thought we played well, we adapted to the conditions, we just couldn’t find that last real bit of quality. It’s not a bad point and a massive thank you to the supporters who made the trip down.”

Guiseley return to action a week tomorrow at seventh-placed Chorley.

Harrogate Town slipped to a disappointing 2-0 defeat at relegation-threatened Colwyn Bay.

After surviving an early free-kick from Bay’s Kevin Holsgrove, Town’s Paul Clayton headed a Jack Emmett cross against the bar while Cecil Nyoni forced Chris Sanna into a full-length save.

Bay took the lead on the hour when skipper Marc Williams headed in James Ellison’s free-kick and in spite of late Town pressure a stoppage time snap shot from Ellison beat Peter Crook via the inside of the post to secure Colwyn Bay’s victory.

Town have dropped to 13th and return to action on Saturday at home to 15th-placed Lowestoft Town.

Bradford Park Avenue moved up to 14th with their fourth win in succession through a 2-1 victory at Oxford City who slipped to eighth.

Adriano Santiago gave the hosts a 12th-minute lead, but Craig King levelled six minutes later, before Richard Marshall bagged the winner 10 minutes after the break.

Avenue are back in action this evening at home to third-bottom Gloucester City.

In the Conference, FC Halifax Town were held to a goalless draw at 16th-placed Altrincham. The eighth-placed Shaymen are back in action tomorrow at home to ninth-placed Gateshead.


TWO goals in seven second-half minutes kept Farsley AFC in touch with the First Division North play-offs through Saturday’s 2-0 defeat of visiting Clitheroe.

Lewis Nightingale’s 64th-minute penalty put Farsley in front and the lead was doubled just six minutes later through Andrew Welsh.

Brighouse Town’s afternoon was less productive as they slipped to a 3-1 reverse at home to Lancaster City. Neil Marshall gave Lancaster a 28th-minute lead, only for Thomas Matthews to then level four minutes after the interval.

But Ryan Winder’s 73rd-minute penalty put Lancaster back in front and victory was secured thanks to a Jacob Davis goal six minutes from time.

Ossett Town were defeated 3-0 by visiting leaders Salford City.

Town held the division’s top dogs for 49 minutes before falling behind to Daniel Webber’s opener. Jason Jarrett doubled the away side’s lead with his 79th-minute penalty before Grant Spencer bagged Salford’s third three minutes from time.

Harrogate Railway drew 0-0 at home to Kendal Town while Ryan Blott’s late strike failed to save Scarborough Athletic from a 2-1 loss at home to Bamber Bridge.

Frickley Athletic failed to put more daylight between themselves and the Premier drop zone in a 2-0 loss at third-bottom Marine.

Stephen Wainwright put Marine ahead after 19 minutes and the advantage was doubled nine minutes later through Jamie Menagh.

Marine have narrowed the gap to fourth-bottom Frickely to just five points but even Marine are nine points ahead of second-bottom Trafford who only have one game in hand, with nine games left to play.

Whitby Town drew a 3-3 thriller at Halesowen Town as the away side’s Mark Robinson bagged a last-minute leveller.

David McTiernan had initially given Whitby a third-minute lead but the away team were 3-1 down by the time Steven Snaith’s 81st-minute strike put them back in contention.


TADCASTER Albion were dealt another blow in their ailing NCE Premier title quest as visiting Athersley Recreation struck late to snatch a 1-1 draw.

Albion looked on course for a return to winning ways through Josh Greening’s 38th-minute opener but Daniel Joynes levelled six minutes from time.

Tadcaster sit third and 10 points behind leaders Worksop Town who won 4-2 at third-bottom Nostell Miners Welfare. Rob Bordman and James Kitson both netted for Nostell.

Cleethorpes Town sit second and three points ahead of Tad’ after a 5-0 romp at bottom club Glasshoughton Welfare though Albion have a game in hand on Cleethorpes and two in hand on Worksop.

Bridlington Town rose to fifth as goals from Eddy Birch and Tom Fleming sealed a 2-0 success at Liversedge while Ryan Cooper, Sam Calvert and Andrew Simpson all struck for Pickering Town who won 3-2 at Staveley Miners Welfare. Thackley, though, were blitzed 6-0 by visiting Albion Sports.

AFC Emley moved three points clear at the top of Division One with a 2-1 success at home to Eccleshill United.

A 14th-minute Marcus Edwards penalty fired United in front but Emley recovered to lead 2-1 after 22 minutes through strikes from Ashley Flynn and Max Leonard.

Second-placed Pontefract Collieries were held to a 1-1 draw at Bottesford Town who led after 13 minutes through Craig Bridge.

Luke Danville levelled for Ponte’ on the hour.

Knaresborough Town enjoyed a 5-0 win at home to Lincoln Moorlands Railway as a Mitchell Hamilton hat-trick was supported by goals from Nick Radcliffe and Bradley Walker.

A Dominic Blair double gave Hemsworth Miners Welfare a 2-1 success at home to AFC Mansfield while two goals from Craig Muirhead and one from Ashley Hope saw Selby Town oblige 3-0 at Hallam.