Non-League Football: Boss Bower pleased by Guiseley’s response

Paul Clayton.
Paul Clayton.
Have your say

Guiseley bounced back from mid-week derby dismay as a 1-0 success at Solihull Moors strengthened their Vanarama North promotion bid.

After the Lions had seen Liam Dickinson sent off, Wayne Brooksby bagged the only goal of the game with an 80th-minute penalty with the hosts seeing Dominic Langdon sent off.

Following the disappointment of losing to Bradford Park Avenue during mid-week, Guiseley made a positive start with both Adam Boyes and Brooksby having efforts saved.

The home side had a good chance when Darryl Knight’s free-kick was well saved by Guiseley keeper Steve Drench who was then on hand to deny Omar Bogle.

Guiseley’s task was not made any easier when striker Dickinson was sent off for a strong foul on Solihull’s Michael Nottingham.

But with just 10 minutes to go Boyes was brought down in the area leading to a penalty and Langdon’s dismissal.

Brooksby hit the ball into the top left hand corner to seal all three points.

“I’m pleased in the way we won,” said Lions boss Mark Bower, whose side stay fifth. “We had to grind this result out after going down to 10 men, after what was a harsh sending- off, but we then showed our quality.”

Guiseley are back in action tomorrow at fifth-bottom Worcester City.

Bradford Park Avenue backed up their recent Guiseley win with a 1-0 success at home to fourth-placed Hednesford Town as Nathan Hotte grabbed the only goal in the first half. Fourth-bottom Avenue are back in action on Wednesday at home to Colwyn Bay.

Harrogate Town, though, were blitzed 5-2 at sixth-placed Boston United who fought back from being 2-0 down. Town looked on course for another victory after two goals inside the opening four minutes from Louie Swain and Paul Clayton. Town sit 13th and return to action tomorrow at Gainsborough Trinity.

North Ferriby United are heading to Wembley after a 4-2 success on penalties in the FA Trophy semi-final second leg at home to Bath City. The game finished 1-1 after 90 minutes and after extra-time meaning a 3-3 draw on aggregate. Nick McCootie’s second-minute opener for Bath was cancelled out by Liam King’s 64th-minute spot kick. Ferriby face Wrexham in the final on Sunday, March 29. Twelth-placed Ferriby are back in action on Wednesday at seventh-placed Oxford City in Vanarama North.

In the Conference, seventh-placed FC Halifax Town drew 0-0 at ninth-placed Kidderminster Harriers. The Shaymen are back in action tomorrow at fourth-bottom Southport.