Non-League Football: Albion boss Marshall sickened by crowd trouble

Tadcaster's Danny Stimpson shows his frustration at  full time.
Tadcaster's Danny Stimpson shows his frustration at full time.
Have your say

TADCASTER Albion’S heroic FA Vase run ended in sorry circumstances as a mass brawl marred Saturday’s 1-0 loss to visitors Highworth Town.

One week after the 1-1 extra-time draw at Highworth, the Swindon-based visitors sealed their place in the semi-finals through a 74th-minute quarter-final replay winner from Callum Parsons.

Albion were left rueing Calum Ward’s missed penalty on the stroke of half-time as the defeat ended their hopes of a Wembley final and a game watched by a bumper 1,307 fans was followed by a sour aftermath.

Supporters invaded the pitch and a ugly confrontation between players, officials and fans from both sides then ensued.

Highworth chairman Rohan Haines was left with a bloody nose in the melee and Worthians goalkeeper Gary Stevens was also injured.

Albion manager Paul Marshall condemned the trouble and said an inquiry would take place immediately.

Marshall said: “I’m disappointed to lose the game but I’m even more upset with what happened after the game.

“As I got there, there was a young fan goading all our fans and then one of our fans went on and rugby tackled him for some unknown reason.

“It all then seemed to kick off. People were trying to hold others back and then there was a few punches thrown, which was very unsavoury and not what we want to see at non league football.

“I feel absolutely sick about what’s happened. There needs to be a full inquiry into it.”

A bad day for Albion was made worse as Worskop Town knocked the Brewers off top spot in the NCE League Premier with a 2-1 win at Bridlington Town.

Third-bottom Nostell Miners Welfare fared better as goals from Dale Kelly and Rob Bordman sealed a 2-0 win at home to Albion Sports while Nick Black’s equaliser gave Garforth Town a 1-1 draw at Barton Town Old Boys.

Joel Ramm’s leveller gave Pickering Town a 1-1 stalemate at Maltby Main but strikes from Ryan Farrell and Redmond Lee were in vain for Thackley who lost 3-2 at home to Armthorpe Welfare.

AFC Emley reclaimed Division One leadership as an early Reuben Jerome strike sunk former leaders Ponetrfract Collieries 1-0. Goals from Harrison Blakey, Craig Heard and Tom Marsden gave Yorkshire Amateur a 3-2 triumph at Rossington Main while a Colin Heath double and a Bradley Walker effort gave Knaresborough Town a 3-0 success at Hemsworth MW. A Jack Binns effort failed to save Selby Town from losing 2-1 at Louth Town while Eccleshill were defeated 4-1 at Dronfield Town.


GUISELEY were left frustrated as the promotion chasers lost ground on the teams above them in Saturday’s goalless draw at Vanarama North’s basement club Hyde, writes Tom Feaheny.

The Lions will now look for revenge in the reverse fixture in two days’ time.

Jake Lawlor, Liam Dickinson, Lee Gregory, Nicky Boshell and Wayne Brooksby all squandered chances for Guiseley but Hyde had chances of their own. Hyde thought they had taken a second-half lead when Luke Giverin’s shot was saved by Steve Drench and fell to Connor Hughes who converted but he was flagged offside.

Then, in the closing stages, former Guiseley defender Andy Pearson had a great chance to score within the six yard box but his effort hit the post.

The Lions remain fifth and return to action on Wednesday with the reverse fixture at Nethermoor. Guiseley manager Mark Bower said: “I knew it was not going to be an easy afternoon for us. The teams at the top of the league have been here and struggled. We had several chances just we didn’t take them.”

The biggest threat to Guiseley’s play-off spot could come from eighth-placed Chorley who are three points behind them with a game in hand.

Harrogate Town moved up to 12th in Vanarama North as a Jordan Thewlis doubled inspired Saturday’s 2-1 success at home to fifth-bottom Gloucester City.

Thewlis gave Town a 55th-minute lead which he doubled nine minutes later.

Sahr Kabba pulled a goal back with 16 minutes remaining. Simon Weaver’s men next visit bottom club Hyde on Saturday.

Bradford Park Avenue remain fourth-bottom after Saturday’s 2-0 loss at a Tamworth side now up to third.

Avenue host eighth-placed Chorley on Wednesday.

In the Conference, FC Halifax Town shared a goalless draw with second-bottom visitors Dartford. Eighth-placed Halifax visit second-bottom Aldershot tomorrow.


NICHOLAS Matthews bagged a late winner as a 3-2 success at Kendal Town allowed Ossett Albion to kick further clear of the Evo-Stik League First Division North drop zone.

Jordan Connerton put Kendal into a 19th-minute lead but Matthews equalised for the mid-table hosts nine minutes before the break.

Connor Bower’s penalty three minutes later put Albion ahead but Jack Kelleher made the scores level 10 minutes after the break.

But Matthews had the last say by completing his brace seven minutes from time. Albion sit 18th, one place and one point below Ossett Town who defeated tenth-placed visitors Harrogate Railway 3-1.

Town were 3-0 up courtesy of Steven Jeff after nine minutes, Nathan Curtis two minutes after the break and Joe Brennan three minutes after the hour.

Jason Mycoe then netted for Rail’ after 65 minutes but the goal proved only a consolation.

There were two goals in two minutes as Brighouse Town drew 1-1 at basement boys Padiham.

Padiham led through veteran Brett Ormerod’s 24th-minute penalty but William Tolley was quick to respond for 16th-placed Brighouse one minute later.

Farsley AFC maintained their play-off hopes with a 1-0 success at home to mid-table Warrington Town.

Gibraltar international Adam Priestley bagged the only goal of the game two minutes after the hour.

In the Premier, fifth-bottom Frickley Athletic were felled 1-0 by 17th-placed visitors Nantwich Town.

The away side’s Matthew Kosylo bagged a 70th-minute winner.

Goole AFC suffered a 4-2 loss in a mid-table clash at home to Romulus in First Division South. Goole were 4-0 down before hitting back with a Liam Schofield penalty and Matthew Semley strike.